Thread: What's Below the Subway Question

What's Below the Subway Question

I have been down the top to bottom route of the Subway a couple of times. I am planning to go again in late June.

My question, though, is: what is found on down the Left Fork below the lava flow exit trail up to the car park and highway? Is it passable for hikers down to where it crosses the highway? Apparently something blocks the passage requiring the exit hike up the steep lava exit...

Thanks, was just curious.
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taatmk View Post
    I have been down the top to bottom route of the Subway a couple of times. I am planning to go again in late June.

My question, though, is: what is found on down the Left Fork below the lava flow exit trail up to the car park and highway? Is it passable for hikers down to where it crosses the highway? Apparently something blocks the passage requiring the exit hike up the steep lava exit...

Thanks, was just curious.
    Below the exit, there are no trails, so it is very rough going.

Between you and the road crossing is 4.5 miles of rugged walking, and crossing the private property of the Horse Ranch down there (although you can do that legally by staying in the stream, maybe).

Tom

Before the guidebooks came out (and when I was still a kid), we used to enter the North Creek Drainage (both Left and Right Forks) via a rugged route at Grapevine Spring. Grapevine Spring itself is quite impressive (big hanging gardens over the cliffs), but below the confluence of Right Fork, there really isn't much to see along North Creek.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that in more recent years you aren't supposed to visit Grapevine Spring anymore, but I can't remember where I read or heard that. Check with the rangers at the visitor center. Or maybe Tom knows?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Below the exit, there are no trails, so it is very rough going.

Between you and the road crossing is 4.5 miles of rugged walking, and crossing the private property of the Horse Ranch down there (although you can do that legally by staying in the stream, maybe).

Tom
    Actually Tom there is the Grapevine Trail midway between the Left Fork of North Creek Lower Trail exit and Right Fork of North Creek Lower Trail exit before you arrive at Horse Ranch. Both trails up the Basalt are pretty obscure though. FWIW

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I've got some pics, just not sure where, I'll look.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Heres a shot looking up Left fork from just above the confluence with the right.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Before the guidebooks came out (and when I was still a kid), we used to enter the North Creek Drainage (both Left and Right Forks) via a rugged route at Grapevine Spring. Grapevine Spring itself is quite impressive (big hanging gardens over the cliffs), but below the confluence of Right Fork, there really isn't much to see along North Creek.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that in more recent years you aren't supposed to visit Grapevine Spring anymore, but I can't remember where I read or heard that. Check with the rangers at the visitor center. Or maybe Tom knows?
    I had not heard that they had shut it, ever, as there is still a trail sign and a parking lot, but... there is a highly endangered snail that lives on Grapevine Spring. I am not sure why they would have a trail down to the spring except for the Park Biologist.

Yes, as Bo said, there are two trails out. The Right Fork trail could be very hard to find. I have been a couple hundred yards below the Left Fork Trail exit, and the social trails just peter out, and it is tight, unpleasant brush. It would not be fun.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by bshwakr View Post
    Tom, I'm surprised you don't remember our little diversion past the left fork turnoff. If you continue about 30 minutes, you will find an alcove with a large swimming hole. There is some moderately easy cliff jumping in the 20' range.

I have also hiked all the way past the Right Fork turnoff, past the Sunset Ranch to the old BLM campground. There is a fence at the park boundary and one last 25' waterfall. I would strongly discourage passing through the Sunset Ranch as I recall dogs and fences.
    You're saying it's a memory question, then surprised I don't remember? Not my department oh Bush Whacking One.

Tom

Thanks

Thank you, all, for the very interesting and helpful info. At the end of the June heat day, I will probably just head straight for the ice cooler after the lava cliff ascent. Danka.
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow