Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's your gear list for a 3 night backpack trip into the Uintas?

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't just be easier and not much difference in weight to use a foldable bowl or a cheap plastic measuring cup? I'm a fan of both, especially the folding bowl. Easy to clean, just unfold and lick (especially easy with dogs around).

Attachment 43362

Attachment 43363

And if you're eating freeze dried meals the measuring cup can sure come in handy for getting the right amount of water in there.
    I use an east German mess kit and it has marks for 2, 4, and 6 cups in it.

Looks like this.

Name:  Mess kit..jpg
Views: 482
Size:  4.6 KB

Inside the kit I have my stove, wind screen, measuring spoon, utensils, and fuel bottle. It can also be used over/in a campfire as well.

As far as alcohol stoves go I use one similar to the "cat stove" but I used a Vienna sausage can so that it can hold more fuel. Google "cat stove" and you'll be able to find instructions on how to build one. They are dirt cheap to make (30 cents) and weigh almost nothing. For fuel I buy the "HEET" in the yellow bottles. You can get it at any gas station or Walmart for about $1.50 for. 12 oz. My stove will boil 2 cups of water in 6 mins. I've used it at over 10K ft in below freezing temps and never had a problem with it. I agree with what was said before about knowing how to use one before you go out. I always make practice runs at home with new recipes and whatnot just so I know what to expect.

As far as using a foldable bowl or tupperware instead of ziplock bags and a bubble cozy. I don't think the foldable bowl would hold the heat in so it would take a lot longer to rehydrate the meal. If you could rig up a cozy for a tupperware bowl that would work but a tupperware bowl is a lot more bulky than a ziplock bag. I love using ziplock bags because the take up almost no space and are basically weightless. Just personal preference I guess

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I use the manual Snowpeak Giga Power stove. I really like it. I guess in today's world it is older but still working without a problem. It seems fast enough and I have never had a problem with it. I have only used it in fair temps (25 degrees and above) and not at high altitudes (desert camping only so far). I hope to use it in the Uintas this summer. I have a titanimum cup that holds my canister of fuel, the stove and a small hand towel. Small, light and easy to use. Perfect for me.

I do have my eye on a Jetboil however. How is the Jetboil? It seems to have a lot of parts? Is it fussy to deal with?
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I do have my eye on a Jetboil however. How is the Jetboil? It seems to have a lot of parts? Is it fussy to deal with?
    I used to have a Jetboil. Just seemed too much to try to deal with. It worked just fine, and my buddy brings his all the time. I just have a lighter primus stove I use with Snowpeak fuel and my mess kit from Snowpeak.

Here is my stove:
    Name:  70965_150..jpg
Views: 472
Size:  5.3 KB

Name:  13cd43e07f656389f9&#.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  13.0 KB

And here is my mess kit:
    Name:  4827762452_39b0bfd&#10.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  30.9 KB

My mess kit weighs 7.9 oz and my stove weighs 2.9 oz. And I use the Gigapower 110 gold fuel which weighs 6.4 oz. 17 oz pretty much for my entire cook set stove and fuel. I have a Snowpeak Titanium Coffee Cup I bring too, it weighs 3.2 oz. So, 20 oz for everything I need to cook with. Not too bad.

It's interesting to see the number of canister stoves & homemade alcohol stoves on the list.

I've got a MSR Whisperlite that's been great for me.

The one huge downside to the canister stoves to me is the canisters. It's just too hard to tell how much fuel is left in them.

Quote Originally Posted by uintahiker View Post
    The one huge downside to the canister stoves to me is the canisters. It's just too hard to tell how much fuel is left in them.
    Hence the reason I always have a spare. They have those little stickers you put on the canister that are supposed to tell you how much fuel you have left in a canister but I have never used them. I am not sure how reliable they are.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by uintahiker View Post
    It's interesting to see the number of canister stoves & homemade alcohol stoves on the list.

I've got a MSR Whisperlite that's been great for me.

I'm with you on all of that. Sometimes, instead of my MSR Pocket Rocket I like to use my MSR Simmerlite. It's really nice to be able to control exactly how much fuel to bring. I always end up with like 5 partial isobutane canisters kicking around the house because I don't want to bring a partial or an extra canister. It can be nice to have that white gas accessible for other purposes too. Like much of my gear I go in phases using one thing or the other. Don't get me started on sleeping pads.

Hence the reason I always have a spare.
    That's the reason I go with the whisperlite- yeah it's a little heavier, but it's super reliable and takes up less space than a micro-stove and 2 canisters. It's also easier for me when cooking to balance just the stove then it is to balance the stove-canister combination.

My Jetboil has been used over 100 days, 2 times a day, and has never let me down. Winter, summer, wind (a little slower boiling times), works every time. No maintenance, clogged lines or hassles because of sand. Integral coffee press, and i have the attachment so i can use a pan. It has a 2 cup mark!

Hence the reason I always have a spare. They have those little stickers you put on the canister that are supposed to tell you how much fuel you have left in a canister but I have never used them. I am not sure how reliable they are.
    The Gigapower Gold 110 that I used last summer did about 6 trips and it still seemed to be impossible to kill it off. I finally used the last of the can I bought in July @ Duck Lake in October. I have used other canister fuels, but they seem to go very fast compared to the Snowpeak. I buy nothing but now, seems to be the most efficient canister fuel you can buy.

When I used my whisperlite religiously I had a it down to a science as to how much each oz of fuel in that little canister would do.. It was all based off of the weight of the stove and 10k feet so that when I had a partial can I would just write on it how many more 1 cup boil times were left in the canister
    yet another use for that math class I always said I would find no use for :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

For all the people that use a separate cozy for freezer bag cooking. If you have a beanie just use that, or wrap it up in fleece or what ever I don't carry a separate cozy.

My Pocket Rocket is over a decade old and has never let me down! Even in Alaska!

This thread is great!
    Lots of good information here and special thanks to Mr. Incognito.

I use an east German mess kit and it has marks for 2, 4, and 6 cups in it.
    This army kit were 18 month long my 'friend' in the field. During my time in this army - 30 years ago.

Need a little help about snake bite injury.

How many mg of Aspirin are to take?
    Were to buy are EPI-pen and Benadryl?
    In every drugstore, Walmart too?

THX for help.

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    This thread is great!
    Lots of good information here and special thanks to Mr. Incognito.

This army kit were 18 month long my 'friend' in the field. During my time in this army - 30 years ago.

Need a little help about snake bite injury.

How many mg of Aspirin are to take?
    Were to buy are EPI-pen and Benadryl?
    In every drugstore, Walmart too?

THX for help.
    Snake bite injury.. just don't get bit.. if you do get medical attention ;)

Eppi pens are by prescription only in the US.. so you would need to script for it. Benadryl can be found at almost any pharmacy/ drugstore (yes walmart)... I would suggest getting children's Benadryl in the liquid form as it is faster acting than the normal pills you get.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by gnwatts View Post
    My Jetboil has been used over 100 days, 2 times a day, and has never let me down. Winter, summer, wind (a little slower boiling times), works every time. No maintenance, clogged lines or hassles because of sand. Integral coffee press, and i have the attachment so i can use a pan. It has a 2 cup mark!
    +1 for the jetboil and freezer bag cooking. Literally no mess to clean up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm backpacking: Bacardi 151.
    Blog | FB

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    Sweet. Why carry all that extra water.

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    151 = Tornado!

The Uintahs are on my plan for end of july. I usually take a tent ( about 2.3lbs) bug dope, headnet, Osprey pack or Six Moons pack, WM summerlite bag, Neo air pad, titanium pot I've had for years, dehydrated food, snacks, 1-2 litres of water in bladder, spare empty bladder to carry water to camp, plastic cup, Rain pants and poncho ( covers pack and has ties to either use as a tarp or secure bottom so it doesn't flap around in the wind) lightweight thermals, camp shoes --five fingers this year, fleece hat, regular sun hat (wearing that one) spare socks, don't laugh including neoprene---great when crossing those cold streams and in swampy areas when your feet are constantly wet. Aqua Mira or tablets, bandana--and or camp towel ( nice to wipe up condensation if you are stuck in tent in rain). Trekking poles ( i'm a klutz). Oh, and sunscreen too, and a white lightweight shirt--you can roast out there if the sun is out strongly. Almost forgot the stove and small canister--it's some generic little thing weighs about 3 oz. Using it for years too. And camera--- usually two--Olympus with the 7-14mm attached and probably a sony zoom for tele and flower macro.

On my desert hikes I usually take a bivy or just the tarp.
    You can rest when you're dead

Wow, I have learned a lot about backpacking today. I read almost every single post in here. I didn't go back to find and quote the post but someone said that some like to pack heavy and camp with style! That seems to be me (sometimes). I don't want to spend the money on all the gear so I end up improvising. My pack ends up around 35 - 40 pounds.

This year we will be packing in my son (weighed 31 pounds a couple weeks ago). So, one pack with most of the gear and food for 2 people. And the other pack with my son and all of his food and diapers and all the associated weight.

Does anyone have any advice for an 18 month olds gear???? Although our first hike with him will only be around a 7 mile, 2 day hike.... unless we are feeling brave and shoot for something more remote.
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt