Thread: camping/backpacking ideas

camping/backpacking ideas

Hi!

I just came across this website and I'm so excited about all the information on here!
    I live in Fort Collins, CO and a couple of friends and I are planning out a backpacking/camping excursion for the end of April and we're considering moab'ish area.

Here are our details:
    3.5 full days of hiking/camping
    open to either car camp with day hikes or backpack in
    we have dogs---but if need be, can leave them at home

I would love any ideas for places to go; if you're short on time, send me just the name of the area, if you have some time, directions or any specific info would be much appreciated!

Thanks ahead of time!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

you can't go wrong with the needles district in canyonlands. peek-a boo springs, lost canyon, elephant canyon, chesler park, lavender and davis canyons. lots of options.

and i would leave the dogs home. you will be less restricted in your options.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

there are some nice dog-friendly options in the escalante area

Cedar Mesa has lots of dog friendly options too. But, if you haven't done it yet, I like Denaliguide's suggestion to do the Needles. Most likely the backpacking sites will be full, but you can hit a lot of the great spots there by day hiking. OTOH, you could save Needles for when you can get a backcountry campsite. Just too many good choices...
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

The san rafael swell is pretty cool too. See the goblins, hike a few slot canyons. Old mines & ruins. Then you could see the Chaffin Geyser on the way in our out, maybe stop by the old ghost town of Sego. On the way home, stop at the Hobo Pool in Glenwood springs to soak those sore muscles.

BTW- Fort Collins is a pretty sweet town. I lived there for a few years while getting my masters degree. The only downside I saw was the outdoor recreation in the area wasn't quite up to par. Yeah, you have Poudre Canyon, but it's crawling with people. It's kinda hard to really get away from people there.