Thread: Grand Gulch Primitive Area

Grand Gulch Primitive Area

Hi Everyone,

I am a bit new to backpacking. The few times I have been I have in the high Unitas (mirror lake trail head) in July and August.

We are planning a trip to the Grand Gulch Primitive Area April 15th, which is this week. I am looking at the forecast of 60 high 30 low...and wondering if anyone knows the actual conditions (how it really feels) down there. I would like to take my 12 and 13 year old kids...but don't want their first experience to be freezing and miserable.

Anyone have any advice or experience with the current conditions down there? I see pictures of people down there in Feb and they are in shorts and t-shirts??? Any help would be appreciated in helping me plan ect.

Also, I would like to get a great book about the history of the area. Anyone know of a great resource for that? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I am considering hiking this loop at the end of April---please write up a report or brief details about how it goes, and especially info on weather and water conditions! have fun!

I just spent last week in the general GG area. Of course the weather can and will change but I'll describe what we experienced. Nights ranged from the teens to mid-30s. The first morning we were hiking all the pools had a nice layer of ice on them. Daytime temps were in the range of low 50's to mid 60's. Bring layers of fleece and polypro underwear. Bring a shell. If you have a cold-blooded member of the group a down vest or jacket is a nice-to-have to avoid whining (my wife carried hers and used it on some evenings and mornings, my son and I were fine with fleece and shell). Could it snow again? It's possible, but not likely. Could it be mid-70s and sunny and warm? Sure.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

temps should be mild. nights will be cool but the days warm up nicely. i have been snowed on al late as april 15th. so it is a remote possibility. water should be plentiful in the gulch. locating your camps for morning sun it tough. since the canyon generally runs north south. just try to find a spot up on the west side of the canyon is about all you can do. i like to camp up on the tops this time of year. you get much more sun in the morning and evenings.

grand gulch is over 50 miles long. what section are you doing? how many days?

bugs won't be a problem and it doesn't rain that much. which is why i usually leave the tent at home and just carry a tarp. you can always find an overhang if it does rain.

kids should have a blast. they certainly shouldn't be freezing anyway.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

April is usually prime time for Grand Gulch, if you can get a permit.

It can snow as late as mid May there (average snowfall near Kane Gulch is 2.5 inches for April and 0.3 inches for May), but usually April is nice and water sources are more reliable than they are later in the year. It can be cool to quite warm, but it's still perhaps the best month of the year to go.

Plan to go regardless, but just in case it does snow (and most likely it won't), just enter at Collins Gulch. Even in winter that part of the canyon is usually snow free.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.