Thread: Upper Antelope Canyon

Upper Antelope Canyon

About 2 weeks ago my wife and I went on a trip looking for some warm weather and at least found some through St. George and over to Page. I wasn't really planning on hitting Antleope Canyon but we decided to do it since we were there. I have been there once before about 7 years ago. The crowds in there aren't my favorite but sometimes you just got to go be the tourist with everyone else. At least this time I had my Go Pro on my cheast mount shooting some video too. It did alright when there was some light, but in the dark sections it sucked. I thought I would share some pictures and video....

Name:  IMG_5692..jpg
Views: 805
Size:  41.9 KB

Name:  IMG_5663..jpg
Views: 793
Size:  48.1 KB

Name:  IMG_5614..jpg
Views: 790
Size:  185.9 KB

Name:  IMG_5824..jpg
Views: 877
Size:  235.2 KB

and the rest of the pictures
    http://www.wesleyaston.com/antelopec...011/index.html

2. Likes oldno7 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Very cool pics! Did you do a "photography" tour? How long did you have in the canyon and what tour guide did you use?

Great shots and great video.

I love how that video really captures the full "experience" of Antelope. So many people there to capture the natural beauty... thus detracting from the natural beauty!

Good stuff.

- Jamal

That video makes me never, ever want to go there. But then your pics then make me really want to go there. Crowds man...

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye008 View Post
    Very cool pics! Did you do a "photography" tour? How long did you have in the canyon and what tour guide did you use?
    We did the photo tour which was $50 a person for 2 hours. Just went to Antelope Canyon Tours which is on the corner of a little strip mall, and they had a guide take us out. He did a good job too.

I to am not a crowds person, and started to get some anxiety before we went but I figured this isn't a place I will go very often and need to make the best of it. It can be hard to get some cool shots with all those people in your way but I tried to make it work.

Now back to the less crowed places........

Great shots as usual, Wes! and I'll echo Nick, exactly what I was thinking. I enjoyed the relative solitude of Lower Antelope when we were out there in January, but I'll have to check out Upper at some point with the beams which I'm sure will require some crowd tolerance! Kudos!

great shots, thanks for sharing. But the crowds...
    I prefer Lower Antelope Canyon. Less crowded and also light beams around noon. And you can stay a lot longer into the canyon.
    Thought a couple of times of visiting Upper Antelope Canyon while in the area. But after seeing the overcrowded parking lot I always ended up in the Lower and had no regrets doing that.

I will be hitting Lower in Oct with my Aussie friend, he is tring to cram a ton in a week, but I guess if you fly that far and have a limited time then you gotta do what you can!

Thanks BTW!

I debated on posting the shots here anyway cause it is such a crowed area. Makes me enjoy every other canyon more!

The Disneyland of canyons.

You made the best of it...cool shots!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    The Disneyland of canyons.

You made the best of it...cool shots!
    We were looking at going to CA instead for that weeks trip so you got it!

We rode the line ride!

Nice shots!

Is that some kind of natural sand geyser in the beginning? Impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by tmartenst View Post
    Nice shots!

Is that some kind of natural sand geyser in the beginning? Impressive.
    Pretty close, it is an Indian "Guydser"
    part of what you pay for

I have been to Antalope several times before they closed it. On only one occasion did I see anyone else there. For some reason, I just can't make myself ever go back. It is a truely special place, but there are plenty of other places to photograph.

Nice shots! I'd love to go there sometime, despite the crowds. It got me wondering though, do you think there is ever a lull in visitation there? Maybe fewer crowds during the winter season?

Quote Originally Posted by pixie1339 View Post
    Nice shots! I'd love to go there sometime, despite the crowds. It got me wondering though, do you think there is ever a lull in visitation there? Maybe fewer crowds during the winter season?
    I can't speak for upper, but I was in Lower in January and we saw maybe 6 other people the whole time we walked through.
    You won't get any of the light beams at that time of year, but its still beautiful.

Sounds like it might be worth the loss of the light beams to have fewer people along for the trip. With such beautifully sculpted walls it's probably hard not to come away with some nice shots.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Beautiful shots. I made the mistake of doing that on 4th of July in 2009. Horrible horrible decision. Haha.

Bogley BigShot
    WOW!

Nice pictures!
    I've visited both of the canyons on 2 different trips. Both around end of october.
    I loved lower antilope (2009), i had a photographers pass, allowing me to spend some extra time. And it was quiet and relaxed. Unbelievably beautiful (like so many things around page, and in Utah and around it)!
    Last year (2010) I visited upper antilope, and despite that it had nice views, it was way to crowded and I felt lke being pushed through the canyon by the guide.
    Very commercial, not giving me the time to see and feel the beauty.

This year I'm planning on going to Lower again.
    The beams of light I don't mind....
    I love the rest as much!

22. Likes oldno7 liked this post