Thread: Horseshoe Canyon: Car regular won't make it

Horseshoe Canyon: Car regular won't make it

Some info for compat's who want to get to Horseshoe Canyon via the standard road (1010, Lower San Rafael). I tried it on April 6th with 07 Honda CRV. Most references I checked in advance indicated it could be done with a passenger car. Also checked with Hans Flat by phone and the Needles visitor center. Both indicated it could be done but that the road was heavily washboarded.

I made it in 5.7 miles before sand drifts stopped me cold. Gave it a shot anyway and spent a couple of hours digging out. Upshot here is that you must have a high clearance vehicle. Family type, or cross over SUVs will not make it. Your experience may be different as sand is a highly mobile surface. Just don't count on it with a standard vehicle.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

How big and wide a drifts are we talking? I shouldn't have problems in a Tahoe? Obviously it wouldn't take much for a drift to stymy 2wd lowriders. I'd imagine they get a grader out there every once in a while, too, this being a fairly popular access. Thanks for the update.

Drift depth was about 22 inches. Name:  Utah 097..jpg
Views: 660
Size:  76.2 KB Name:  Utah 096..jpg
Views: 624
Size:  78.6 KB Tried to upload a couple of photos here. I don't you will have a problem with your Tahoe.

Thanks, I think I can deal with that. I better be if I plan on driving up to White Pocket.

Next year I'm going to take a McLeod tool with me. It's basically a big wide rake used for trail building. If I had one I believe I could have moved all the sand out of the way before driving through. Will see if it works and report.

Did you try getting a good run at it? From the pics it looks like some good momentum would get you right through it.

doesn't look so bad with the sand. Should be doable with a CRV.
    Compared to the sandy trail to White Pocket this is a piece of cake.
    Totally agree with Nick, keep your momentum and you should be fine

Hesitate and die. You gotta let 'er rip, son.
    Life is Good

Anybody know how often they run a cat down this road? I saw some equipment parked when I was down there last spring.

I've seen graders parked in various places along it every time I've driven it. And if I recall this sandy spot was not much different back in October. I'm heading that way in a couple weeks and will post an update if it's changed.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Name:  drive..jpg
Views: 776
Size:  21.8 KB

The road from Green River doesn't get the sand drifting across the road like the one from Highway 24
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Wanted to update this post with a couple of things. My car has one of those automatic course correction devices that pulls the vehicle to center when it thinks you are running off the road.
    Unfortunately the middle of the road is where the worst drifts are. If I had turned the durn thing off may have had a chance of pushing through. You also need to be aware of cows here as it is open range. Once I dug out had a calf run into the road and had to swerve to avoid.

I asked about the Green River route at that fancy visitors center in Moab...consensus was that it was not recommended. This is unfinished business and next year I'll have a full spare, (no donut) all the tools I need, and maybe a mountain bike if none of that works. Cheers.

I've done it with my Grand Am many years ago, also got out to Alcatrazz.

The big sandy dune area, was built up hugely by graders about 2 weeks ago. I guess it kept getting blown in so they built a huge bermed hill to put it above the big dune. It still looks like that area will always needs attention after a few windy days.
    It still wasn't a problem driving thru any of it. A little wash boardy.

Laying in my tent in the maze as I post this.

Drove the road from green river to keg knoll yesterday then from keg knoll to the maze today. The main road from green river to hans flat is perfectly fine for a car as long as you keep up your speed the one sandy spot just before the road to hoseshoe.

I would drive my rear wheel drive car on it if I needed to.