Thread: Neon, Ringtail, Baker and Choprock conditions?

Neon, Ringtail, Baker and Choprock conditions?

Hello everyone,

Next week we are headed to escalante to attempt Neon, Ringtail, Baker and maybe Choprock depending on conditions. We are all preparing ourselves with 3mm full suits and a 2 or 3mm shorty layered on top. Do you all think that'll be enough to keep warm?

Has anyone been to the area yet this spring? How are the water levels looking? We are especially curious about Neon's keeper and Choprocks bell-shaped slots. If anybody has some beta we would really appreciate it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If I were you, I'd just check and make sure that Hole in the Rock Road will be open. If it and the Egypt road are open you should be all good. Not like there is a gate or entrance fee at Egypt trailhead.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I think the parking area for Neon/Chop is right on the boundary between GSENM and GCNRA. Once you leave it's all Glen Canyon.

Weather Changing

The road will be open and you can access the canyons without problems associated with the government shut-down.

A potential bigger problem is the weather. Today being 4/7 a storm is on the way in that will last 3 days a drop 2 feet of snow in that area. This will make driving difficult - add moisture to your routes and drop the temperature significantly.

If there wasn't water before this storm you should expect some as the melt off begins.

Good luck and have fun!

well crap.
    Im supposed to be backpacking Coyote Gulch this weekend and I'm not going to cancel my trip (because I have paid my taxes). Scott will you represent me if I get busted?

Please take the Government shutdown chat to here:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?51838

Thanks for playing.

Would you mind posting about the conditions when ya'll return? Im looking for a report on Neon as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ndonaldj View Post
    Would you mind posting about the conditions when ya'll return? Im looking for a report on Neon as well.
    We just got back from our trip to Escalante. I We did Neon, Choprock, Ringtail, Headless Hen, and Raven.

Neon was cold, we were happy to have our 7/5mm wetsuits or 5mm with a shorty on top. Same for choprock. Headless hen only needed a 3/2 full suit, and raven and ringtail were dry with a bit of knee deep wading in spots.

The upper keeper in neon was about half full. Our 6'5' parter was able to push me up while barely keeping his head out of the water. The lower keeper above the cathedral was a couple feet above the lip and an easy swim.

Choprock was in perfect condition. There was plenty of water, but not so much that we were required to climb over log jams. One log jam out of a dry silo required climbing, but like I said it was dry. There was another that we were able to barely squeeze under (just able to breath through our noses) after I loosened up some debris hanging from the bottom. It sounds like it could rain this week, so who knows if that will change things.

Keepers in headless hen were about half full, and tough. Nothing a few pot shots and atriers couldn't handle though. Some keepers required exiting from a full swim.

We had a phenomenal trip and couldn't have been luckier in terms of water levels and weather. Can't wait to get back there! Ill try to get some photos and maybe a trip report up in the coming days.