Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Government Shutdown

Government Shutdown

Let me start out by saying: I hate making reservations in Canyonlands.....which is why I haven't been to the Maze yet (or the White Rim for that matter). Last year I finally decided I wanted to go to the Maze and actually made reservations, took the time off from work and planned the trip ahead of time...which starts on Saturday.

The Govt better get the budget figured out by Friday!

----------

Randy,

In the unfortunate event that federal employees are furloughed, the
    national park system, including Canyonlands National Park, will be closed.
    We wanted to provide advance notice that you may not be able to begin your
    backcountry trip due to this closure. If this closure prevents you from
    using your current reservation, we will be glad to try and rebook your
    reservation for a future date.

If you decide to cancel your reservation and you paid by credit card we
    will refund your reservation fee back to your credit card.

If you paid by means other than credit card we will refund your reservation
    fee once we are provided guidance on how to process these payments.

Canyonlands National Park Reservation Office
    435-259-4351 M-F 8am-12:30pm MST
    (fax) 435-259-4285
    canyres@nps.gov
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If they close up and go home then I guess they won't know if you went anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    If they close up and go home then I guess they won't know if you went anyway....
    I was thinking the same thing...
    Blog | FB

Whether it's true or just something they are saying to discourage people from going anyway.....they told me the rangers will be sweeping the campgrounds and making sure people pack up and go....

I inquired about picking up my permit on Friday since you can pick it up a day early....this is what I was told
    Randy Langstraat

I too was thinking the same thing. I would begin the day with a poached egg. Have yourself a "theme" day.
    Life is Good

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Have yourself a theme day and get a refund!
    Chere'

This could be bad... Apparently at the beginning of the session the republicans made this new 72 hour rule that means the government will have to shut down at least for the weekend. It requires 72 hours once a bill is finalized for it to be reviewed before it can be passed into law. The article quoted a republican aide who felt it was likely they wouldn't back down on that rule even if they reach a deal on Friday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_845694.html

wtf... is that for real? National Park furlough?
    Does this mean I will be getting some of my taxes back?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Does this mean I will be getting some of my taxes back?
    Not with obama in office

I was just speaking to a ranger at the Colorado National Monument who is a friend of a friend......she says Law Enforcement will be patrolling the parks, as it is considered necessary personnel....their job is to keep the park closed.
    Randy Langstraat

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Not with obama in office
    That's exactly what makes you part of the problem.
    If McCain was in office do you really think we would be any better off?

This could be bad... Apparently at the beginning of the session the republicans made this new 72 hour rule that means the government will have to shut down at least for the weekend. It requires 72 hours once a bill is finalized for it to be reviewed before it can be passed into law. The article quoted a republican aide who felt it was likely they wouldn't back down on that rule even if they reach a deal on Friday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_845694.html
    That only applies if they agree on a budget. It they come up with another continuing resolution the 72 hour rule doesn't apply.

I'll tell you what's funny about this. A whole LOT of federal employees spent a whole lot of time this week in meetings and planning for the possibility of a shut down instead of doing their jobs.

It's really annoying that we let the wingnuts speak for us. The majority of Americans are nearer the middle; democrats who own guns or republicans who are for equal rights or democrats for more fiscal responsibility or republicans for wilderness protection. But we allow the extreme voices among us to represent us and then wonder why they are unable to compromise.

If they don't pull their heads out and I end up on furlough Monday you can bet your ass I'll be spending my time off making some angry phone calls and sending some angry emails.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    That only applies if they agree on a budget. It they come up with another continuing resolution the 72 hour rule doesn't apply.

I'll tell you what's funny about this. A whole LOT of federal employees spent a whole lot of time this week in meetings and planning for the possibility of a shut down instead of doing their jobs.

It's really annoying that we let the wingnuts speak for us. The majority of Americans are nearer the middle; democrats who own guns or republicans who are for equal rights or democrats for more fiscal responsibility or republicans for wilderness protection. But we allow the extreme voices among us to represent us and then wonder why they are unable to compromise.

If they don't pull their heads out and I end up on furlough Monday you can bet your ass I'll be spending my time off making some angry phone calls and sending some angry emails.

Well put Don

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Well put Don
    Agree!
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn

Oh how we forget the Dems purposely didn't come up with a budget when they had...the majority, the time and when they were supposed to. Gee, wonder why they left it for after the onslaught they saw coming. We'll see if Obama's plan backfires

If we shut down, I plan to spend my time hiking!

Quote Originally Posted by keithd View Post
    If we shut down, I plan to spend my time hiking!
    Just not in a National Park.....
    Randy Langstraat

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Oh how we forget the Dems purposely didn't come up with a budget when they had...the majority, the time and when they were supposed to. Gee, wonder why they left it for after the onslaught they saw coming. We'll see if Obama's plan backfires
    You are exhibiting precisely my point. Both sides share the blame in their inability to compromise. Blaming only one side or the other is shortsighted and naive.

Sent from my Google Android SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

I for one really like the idea of term limits on all elected government officials. Especially the Federal ones. The thing that they don't understand is that they are replaceable. They just somehow get it in their mind that all things will grind to a screeching halt without them. Quite frankly, it will and does go on.

I also would like to end tax withholding from paychecks- that way people would have a better idea of what they're actually paying, but I digress.