Thread: River Hiking

River Hiking

I have been getting some great advice on planning our trip to southern Utah so far and have one more question. During our trip, we are planning to day hike the Narrows in Zion to Orderville Canyon and, following the advice of members, we are planning to do Sulphur Creek in Capitol Reef. What kind of footwear do you recommend for river hikes? Do you just throw on an old pair of running shoes or spring for special water shoes? I know I don't want to be drudging through in a pair of soaked hiking boats.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I used 5.10 Canyoneers when I did the narrows and often use them for other trips with a lot of water. They're fantastic. Aside from that I've used Keen sandals a few times. The longest with Keens was on a big loop through Coyote Gulch and I had no complaints. Most of my friends use an old pair of running/athletic shoes.

Keens or Old Running shoes.

If its a long/rocky hike I prefer the running shoes because they have better traction and are more comfortable.

For what you are doing an old running or cross-training shoe is perfect.

Canyoneering Gear

You can read this for a more information. It's written for technical canyoneering but the part on clothing, shoes, and many other items will apply to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    I used 5.10 Canyoneers when I did the narrows and often use them for other trips with a lot of water. They're fantastic. Aside from that I've used Keen sandals a few times. The longest with Keens was on a big loop through Coyote Gulch and I had no complaints.
    that's exactly the sort of shoe that caught my eye for river hikes. They really look sticky and comfortable.
    How satisfied are you with them?
    I did many river hikes with my Tevas and they didn't have a good traction when they are wet. Compared to my wonderful old HiTechs they are not very reliable.

Because I'm planning a backpacking trip to Coyote Gulch this summer and also the Sulphur Creek hike I need some proper footwear.
    And when using neoprene socks in them, is one size larger too much? I'm not sure about that.

Quote Originally Posted by americanhero View Post
    that's exactly the sort of shoe that caught my eye for river hikes. They really look sticky and comfortable.
    How satisfied are you with them?
    I did many river hikes with my Tevas and they didn't have a good traction when they are wet. Compared to my wonderful old HiTechs they are not very reliable.

Because I'm planning a backpacking trip to Coyote Gulch this summer and also the Sulphur Creek hike I need some proper footwear.
    And when using neoprene socks in them, is one size larger too much? I'm not sure about that.
    I'm very satisfied. The only thing I don't like is the fact that they don't go well with my hiking shorts. But for traction, they can't be beat. That stealth rubber sticks to some crazy steep and slippery looking rock, even when they're covered in mud. They're also very comfortable on long hikes although I hear that's not the case for everyone.

I did buy one size too large for use with the neoprene sock. For The Narrows and places like Death Hollow the neoprene sock has been great. On the dry approach hikes it might be nice to use some big wool socks (might need two pairs) or maybe just wear a wool liner inside the neoprene. Or if weight isn't too big of an issue carry them on your back and wear something else for that part.

I wish there was something very much like the 5.10 Canyoneer but more of a hybrid hiking boot for situations like Coyote Gulch. I ended up using Keen's when I went last year because I thought that the long dry portion of the hike would suck with the Canyoneers.

And here's the proof that they don't go well with my hiking clothes! Filling up from the spring in Sand Hollow.

I have Keen Aroyo's that worked great hiking in water, as well as when we were up on the sandstone in Escalante. They had traction in both enviroments and were really comfortable. Here is a picture of me hiking The Paria-Hogeye-Hackberry Loop in Escalante in them.

Name:  n623034455_1417217_.jpg
Views: 5819
Size:  73.0 KB

Thanks, A-Hero! I've written the canyoneer shoe down on my list. Wonder if Bo sells em in St. George at the Desert Rat? I'll check this summer.

AMiller: you should be fine in So Utah with just some cheap sneakers from America's
    store Wally World hehe toss em after the hike. Or enter them in the smelliest sneakers in America contest by mailing them to Barre Vermont. they hold annual gross sneaker contests country wide.
    You are only going up to Orderville creek and then up Orderville to the allowable point, I hope. If you are doing more, you must get a permit for Orderville Canyon.
    Either way you should be fine for that day hike in Zion.

But, if you are doing the whole Zion Narrows? There are sections where it is like walking on slimy bowling balls.

I find that the bulky "FELTS" are the only way to really really grip the bottom
    of the creeks and rivers. They can be purchased where anglers and fishermen buy gear for about 30 dollars. You will never slip in these. They are used by anglers pursuing salmon in very swift streams and rivers. They are bulky and attach to the bottom of shoes or waders. I have walked across the virgin river in the gorge with them and they won't budge. Magic. Stick like velcro to the slimy rocks.
    Tried it without and I went swimming as the current was so swift and my feet kept losing grip. buy felts.

Anyone ever use em? talk to a fly fisherman. You won't go wrong.
    Now if I could only cut em into strips and glue them on my Keens?
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

Quote Originally Posted by Rented mule View Post
    I find that the bulky "FELTS" are the only way to really really grip the bottom
    of the creeks and rivers. They can be purchased where anglers and fishermen buy gear for about 30 dollars. You will never slip in these. They are used by anglers pursuing salmon in very swift streams and rivers. They are bulky and attach to the bottom of shoes or waders. I have walked across the virgin river in the gorge with them and they won't budge. Magic. Stick like velcro to the slimy rocks.
    Tried it without and I went swimming as the current was so swift and my feet kept losing grip. buy felts.

Anyone ever use em? talk to a fly fisherman. You won't go wrong.
    Now if I could only cut em into strips and glue them on my Keens?
    I've done a lot of river fly fishing and I have a pair of felt bottom boots (for use with waders) and some felt bottom sandals for when I'm just in shallow stuff and wearing shorts. Yes, they're great in the river but they royally suck everywhere else. I usually only wear them when I'm going from my truck straight into the river. If that involves hiking down a steep slope into the water it usually means sliding half way because the felt is so bad on dirt. I wouldn't recommend them for hiking long distances. Also, the 5.10 canyoneers whooped those greasy bowling balls in the narrows. That sticky rubber is amazing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    I've done a lot of river fly fishing and I have a pair of felt bottom boots (for use with waders) and some felt bottom sandals for when I'm just in shallow stuff and wearing shorts. Yes, they're great in the river but they royally suck everywhere else. I usually only wear them when I'm going from my truck straight into the river. If that involves hiking down a steep slope into the water it usually means sliding half way because the felt is so bad on dirt. I wouldn't recommend them for hiking long distances.
    I agree with ibenick that felt wading boots aren't the most comfortable for longer hikes, although I have worn mine for a couple of miles hiking back to the car after a long day fishing upriver. Add dry grass to a slope with felt soles and you'll be on your back before you know what happened - it's like walking on wet ice. That being said, even better than felt on really slick rocks is felt with studs. I've been in a stream in Eastern WA with felts slipping and falling on slime-covered boulders while my brother with his studs went walking by me like he was out for a stroll on the sidewalk and starts catching fish out of the next hole while I'm trying to keep from going for a swim. I have thought of packing the felt studs if I get to doing the narrows. If I ever do I'll post a report.