Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Activities around Page/Kanab in inclimate weather

Activities around Page/Kanab in inclimate weather

Hi everyone,

We are heading in the direction of Page/Kanab this Friday and the weather looks to be rain/snow for Fri and Sat. Obviously we wont be in the canyons with the weather - but does anyone have suggestions of things to do around Page? I was even thinking of driving out Hwy 98 to see what is out there.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You could do Antelope canyon

Ok- you asked about bad weather. Maybe Antelope is not such a good idea.
    Drive out & look at the Paria Movie Set. I can't help you much more beyond that.

Saturday looks better than Friday. I'm going to take some visitors out that way and hope to:

1) Go to the Toad Stools off RT89 (MM19)
    2) Go to Horseshoe Bend just South of Page.
    3) Glen Canyon Dam - maybe do the tour

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Yeah, I was thinking Toadstools too. We have been in the area each year for the past 4 years - so we have crossed off many of the "tourist" things to do and mostly just go out there to hike. One year we did the Wave while it was snowing - brrrrr!!!! But, it was very worth it!

The Paria movie set might be a good one to see - we have not been there yet. We are hoping to do Coyote Buttes South/White Pocket when the weather clears up - also I am really wanting to head down the first 5-8 miles of the Paria - weather and water level dependent. We will be stopping at the Ranger station to check out the status of the roads, etc.

We did come out to the area in September one year and had perfect weather - all of our other trips have been in late March/early April - and the weather has been spotty. Maybe we should start coming back in September again......

I even checked the movie schedule at the Page theater - nothing good...... Maybe we will just sit in the mexican restaurant and drink margaritas!!! :)

If the weather is spotty around Page, maybe you could head out east toward Monument Valley/Valley of Gods. I did just that during my recent trip to the area, and the weather was fabulous over there. On the other hand, it snowed heavily one night while I was in Kanab, and an early morning drive through Johnson Canyon with all the fresh snow was incredible.

Rim Rocks (Toadstools)
    Arcoss the Paria Ranger Station on US 89 is a little parking lot.
    Heading north into this valley you'll find some hoodoos more.
    Heading northeast you'll see an 'hoodoo garden'.

On US 89:
    From Page pass the entry to LoneRock Beach.
    After 0.27 mls turn left into a dirt road. Follow this road to a corral.
    Here are nice campsites too.
    In the front to you is Wildcat Tank.
    Scramble up to a 'monster hoodo' and visit the surroundings.
    Left of them you'll see the Studhorse Point Hoodoos.

I'm heading down that way as well. Anyone know if the road to Paria Movie set would be doable if it were really wet? Or the south end of Cottonwood Canyon Road, perhaps to Yellow Rock? We aren't heading that way until Saturday so we won't have too much nasty weather before it clears but still have to figure something out for that afternoon. Bobuddy, if you run into a few guys and some dogs in a grey Tacoma, say hello!

Ibenick,

I did that road on a rental Toyota Corolla, albeit only up to the ridge from where I could shoot the colorful badlands (mostly gravel along that stretch). The road beyond that till the movie set could be dodgy if wet. While I was on the ridge, I asked a woman who was coming back from the movie set in a Tundra if it would be okay to drive till the end, she said she wouldn't do it, and I didn't venture out further.

Arindam

Mikhel,

Do you have to scramble up a cliff to find the hoodoos heading northeast? I tried this one on my last visit - a couple I met on my way there told me that there's a steep scramble up to a ledge. What's your take on this?

arindam

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    Rim Rocks (Toadstools)
    Arcoss the Paria Ranger Station on US 89 is a little parking lot.
    Heading northeast you'll see an 'hoodoo garden'.

I've never driven out to the Paria set in the wet. I waited one year for it to stop raining and a large pick up came out covered in mud. I had my Pilot and he told me it was "a mess" out there. We passed.

Hopefully we'll all get to something in the area.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

While there has been mention of the Toadstool Hoodoos right off US-89, if you head out there, after crossing over to the backside of the main Toadstool, turn left and follow the rimrocks all the way around a bend (you will be turning right around the bend). There's a garden of "white hoodoos" over there, but there's also a lot of cryptobiotic soil in that area, so please be careful where you walk. There's also a notch in the cliffs from where you have a nice pano view of the Paria river valley. May be you knew this already :-)

I was down to the Movie set last year, and by the way, there is no set left. It was destroyed a year or two ago. You could still go to take photos of the colorful hills, but I wouldn't drive that road if its nasty. There are some more treacherous spots on that road than the House Rock Valley Road. Horseshoe bend can be awesome with a storm. You could also head out to Alstrom Point. That road shouldn't be too bad, mostly gravel and hard dirt, rather than clay.

The set was destroyed sometime before Oct 2009 when I was there. It's still a cool area to explore :)
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Yeah, the roads are what I am worried about. I have been on Cottonwood Canyon road when it was dry and I could see how it could become a big issue quickly if it rains. I would love to get back to the area - hopefully when the weather improves. I have some pictures of the colorful badlands part that seem "fake" because of the colors. We didnt get out of the car to take more - storms were coming in and I was getting nervous about our little Corolla rental car on that road

Ibenick - If I see you - I will definitely say hello!!! We might need you to get us out!!!

We have been to the Toadstools before - but it is an easy hike and would be good to see it again and do some more looking around. We did see the hoodoo garden to the left side - and have some pretty awesome pictures. Alstrom point would be a good one too as long as the roads are good.

We might head out to Best Friends - I know some people that work there - I think there is some hiking on their property also.

I have been looking forward to this for a long time - each time I get home, I start counting the days until we can go back!!! It is always the luck of the draw with the weather and road conditions.

arindam,

We don't scramble up - not enough time, only a short look.
    Maybe revisit in June.
    BTW, in the valleys of the Rimrocks you can find a lot hoodos, pillars,etc.

michel

So if/when the government shuts down this weekend I guess that means Coyote Buttes permit holders and prospective permit holders are screwed huh? Sounds like I'm changing my trip plans once again!

Bobuddy, you probably already checked this but the weather forecast seems to be a lot better if you head north from Kanab/Page. Way down there is showing 70% chance on Saturday but Moab, Cedar Mesa, etc. is showing a 30% chance (depending on the source). Might be worth the drive. Good luck down there!

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Bobuddy, you probably already checked this but the weather forecast seems to be a lot better if you head north from Kanab/Page. Way down there is showing 70% chance on Saturday but Moab, Cedar Mesa, etc. is showing a 30% chance (depending on the source). Might be worth the drive. Good luck down there!
    Just don't plan on a National Park at this point......
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Mikhel,

I would be interested to hear about your experience if you make it out there again.

arindam

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    arindam,

We don't scramble up - not enough time, only a short look.
    Maybe revisit in June.
    BTW, in the valleys of the Rimrocks you can find a lot hoodos, pillars,etc.

michel

If it's raining cats and dogs when you arrive in Kanab, you could go to Ramsay's garage and look at the wall of fame they have for rescued vehicles in the 150 mile radius. My ol blazer being one of them. Ramsay has pictures of some amazing wrecker rescues in the paria and all through the monument through the years.
    Also, if it is CATS and DOGS raining? why not just bite the bullet and visit the Best Friend's Animal Sanctuary right out of town.

Also, a great paved road goes to Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park. And this time of year, if they haven't all left yet, the Bald Eagles can be viewed.
    When there is crappy weather on the mountains between there and Beaver, the Bald Eagles come down and roost in the Coral Pink Sand dunes state park
    outside of Kanab. Also, visit the Parry motel and see a movie set or the guest register for the little hollywood actors that were there when they shot all those westerns and such.

Drive to the border town of Fredonia and turn left onto a good dirt road right at the rest area for a few miles if it is passable. give it a try bit by bit. You will come to the picnic scrambling area called the clam shell. A huge scrambling offroad park with picnic tables and tons and tons of petroglyphs. Walk south in the desert and look for holes in the sand if it is dark and overcast looking for the little wee ground owls. Pigmy owls, I believe they are a HOOT!! they will walk around and around
    defending their burrows. Keep at a distance, though. they are usually in sand mounds up off the flats. If you run at about 40 yards out, in circles, they will spin with ya. they are cool. then leave them at peace and head back into town.

Head over to Pipe Springs monument if it is open (govt is shutting down for a bit) and get a fun tour. Great books about the Arizona Strip in the area.
    Stop over at the Gas Station at Moccasin and ask if there is anything to check out in Moccassin Reservation. they will let you know if there is anything
    open on the Paiute Res to see. Never actually been in there. Don't know if they have anything to do or see of local native flair.

Then, if the road is not snowing, go up 89 to Jacob Lake and have some hot apple pie.....where's my hat? I'll meet ya there!!
    Some of the gravel roads just off of Jacob lake are bodacious and tight gravel to travel. Maybe just go a little ways like a mile and find a neat spot to pull over
    and pull out a deck chair, wear a raincoat, a floppy hat, and just listen to the kaibab. Maybe get lucky and see a freaky prehistoric looking will shock ya till
    you say what was that.....Kaibab squirrel. A huge rat looking bald possum bellied, gump faced squirrel with a white tuft of hair and a big huge white bushy tail that is shocking white!! Something to see......

did I mention apple pie? ahhhhhh

cheers! jerry
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

Mule - those are great suggestions!!!!

Yes, I have volunteered at Best Friends last year and had a great time. We will probably head there again over the weekend - nice to have a warm doggie with the weather they are predicting.

BTW - I am leaving KY and it has been so cold and rainy here - well, this weekend is in the 709-80's with sunshine - and I am heading out to cold and rain.. Geez.....