Thread: Mindbender Questions

Mindbender Questions

Anybody been down to Mindbender yet this year? A friend of mine and I will be down there on April 16th. We have a 60m rope and a 40m. Beta calls for two 50m ropes. If I biner block my 60m rope at 30ft and attach the 40m I should have enough...or should I not chance it and get a longer second rope.

Here is my problem solving logic:

60m = 197 ft of rope
    40m = 131 ft of rope

Biner block at 30 ft off the 197 gives me 167 ft to rappel on.

30 ft on the 131ft gives me 161 to pull it down.

The rappel is 155ft so I should have enough even with 3-5 feet of knots (high estimate)

Thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Should work. The first person down can set the length after rapping, just in case. Just watch the knots in the tree/branches on the pull. If only using two ropes, you should be able to just tie 2 EDKs about a foot apart and have a 6-8" tail.

Your ropes should be adequate, assuming the final rappel is actually 155 feet and you do not stick a rope or have a problem on the 2 prior rappels... Then again, you can get by without a helmet too, unless something goes wrong... I would probably bring another 50 or 60... Better safe than sorry!

If the bolts are gone (which I do believe they are), be prepared to build a deadman or at least checkout the one that is there (rebuild).

Whenever the length is close on my ropes, I send someone down with the full 60 meters, then pull out the slack and have them tell me from the bottom when to stop with the rope barely touching. Then I toss out the pull line and they can tell me if it reaches or not and then they can give it a test pull. I also always bring about 5 to 15 extra meters of webbing to extend the pull line in the worst case scenario.

You'll be fine. Like folks said, have the first guy rap on the entire 60 then set the length.

It's a fun canyon, enjoy the day!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

^^^^ Cool Picture ^^^^

Looks like a fun rap
    Don`t be afraid your life will end be afraid it will never begin fear is the thief of all dreams...

Hey, I recognize those ropes! How's it going Matt? Here's one of you 'bout to drop down that same rap.
    Would you be interested in joining us (me and two others) in Neon on the 29th?
    Mike
    Name:  rap01..jpg
Views: 721
Size:  145.8 KB
    "Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies."
    Nietzsche

http://justcallmeutah.net

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Hey, I recognize those ropes! How's it going Matt? Here's one of you 'bout to drop down that same rap.
    Would you be interested in joining us (me and two others) in Neon on the 29th?
    Mike
    Hey Mike! Good to hear from ya!

Wish I could head for Neon with you guys, but I'm on the DL for a few months after ankle surgery...maybe in the fall I can get back into the canyons. Have fun in there, that's an awesome canyon too! Oh, post up some pics when you get back so I can live vicariously!

-Brejcha