Thread: Uintas in Mid-June?

Uintas in Mid-June?

Hi all,

First I'd like to introduce myself. I'm 23 years old, based out of Gainesville Florida and just finishing up a degree at the University of Florida before I'm on to my next adventure. In between though, a friend and I have decided we want to do some backpacking in Utah. We have a few questions I hoped you all might be able to help with.

The situation:

We want to do shortish overnight backpacking trips in both the south (thinking Zion at the moment) and the north (thinking somewhere in Uintas).

1_ Given that we are driving, we have to hit all of our locations consecutively. And given our schedules, the best time for us to head out is around the second week in June.

So, the real question that this all leads into is: Is it at all possible to access (without snow-gear) any pretty areas in Uintas in mid-June? Of course we would do S. Utah first to buy us more time.

Finally, if we could push the trip back a week or two until the end of June, would that improve the situation at all? We would rather not, but hey, you can't fight Mother Nature.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm pretty sure you will encounter snow that time of year, mostly likely mud also. Amethyst Lake is a nice little backpack, or using the same trail Kermsuh Lake, or just alittle bit higher (using the same trail again), McPhethers and/or Ryder Lake.

Natural Basin would also be a nice destination. You also got to realize that you are also over 10,000 ft. it could snow on ya overnight, could also be pretty cold at night. Be prepared.

You're going to see a lot of snow up there in June. There are some lakes down below 10,000' that might melt sooner but the rest will be pretty sticky to get to. Especially the more scenic ones. We've also had a good snow year which will only hurt the situation.

Here's a couple pics from the Anchor lake area on July 6, 2005 from another 'good snow year'.

Here's a trip report of mine of Amethyst Basin on June 9, 2007:

http://www.edarnell.com/Trails/page113.html

We hit a lot of snow at about 10,300 feet.

I would recommend the trails near either end of Mirror Lake Highway for that time of year. You just don't want to get too high up. It's been a pretty big snow year up there, though, so it could still be pretty deep. But that doesn't mean you can't have fun...we just hiked until we hit too much snow, then backtracked to a nice campsite. It will most assuredly be muddy, too, but you'll have the place to yourself...and that counts for something!

Keith

Trial Lake is at 137% of normal sitting at about the 10,000 foot elevation. Mirror lake is higher. Lots of snow up there. Depends on the heat this spring. So far, the snow pack is not going down like normal but is being added to still. This week looks to add more.
    Life is Good

My first trip last year was not until the first weekend in July. There was too much snow to go before that. And this season we have even more snow, with more on the way. I would shoot for a July adventure if at all possible.

thanks for all of the info/pictures guys; It looks like there isn't much choice but to push the trip back. I suppose if we can make it work we'll shoot for a week in the Zion area at the end of June and then up to Uintas after that.

Hit or miss in June. There's often a small window where you can access areas easily with minimal snow and BEFORE the mosquitoes go nuts. Like others said, depends on the snowpack and the spring temps. If you hit it right, it's hard to beat! Green, raging waterfalls, great fishing, decent temps, and no mosquitoes. Good luck on timing it right!

You may not be able to get into the high Uintas but if you don't have your heart set on a specific trail up there I am sure you can find a replacement trail at the same time of year somewhere a bit further south that will be just as cool :)..
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

x2 on what's been said.
    I had to ask- are you looking for scenery, planning on doing some fishing, or both? If you want to do some fishing, I'd recommend finding a lake with grayling in it, just because they're a unique and beautiful fish. I have a few recommendations if you're interested in pursuing them.

Really we are not sold on Uintas itself, but it looked really gorgeous and remote, and after backpacking in the Adirondacks for a few years in a row, we've really gotten to like camping on lakes. We are interested in fishing but that is more of a deal sweetener than a requirement.

Our main goal is to see the different kinds of terrain/landscapes in Southern Utah (Zion area) and further North in the same swoop. From the research I've done the scenery can change pretty drastically from Southern Utah to Northern. Fortunately we'll probably have plenty of time to do it, so we'll try to time it so that if we need to spend a few extra days in the South for things to thaw further North, it won't be a problem.

And yes, I surely would appreciate any and all recommendations for areas that are as nice as the Uintas but with better late-June/early July conditions.

I'd go for Boulder Mountain. Usually melts off sooner and its still an awesome high elevation area with great fishing and great views. The Escalante snowpack is not as high as other parts of the state this year which should make it an even better choice for June. Much closer to Zion as well AND you get to drive the awesome stretch of Highway 12 between Escalante and Boulder.

Last year I did Brown duck basin on the south slope it is a little lower in Elevation than much of the north slope drainages and is doable in June. we went the week of June 24th and ran into snow at around 11,000 feet. Lakes were clear of Ice and snow only in shady spots and peak tops. However, I believe we have had a better snow year this year so snow might be found much lower. Ranger Stations will try and discourage you with big snow reports and muddy trails that haven't been cleared of downed trees and whatnot. I called the day before we left and the conditions report they had was a week old at best and did not match conditions on the ground. Use your best judgment. the snow will be melting fast, several feet of loss a day in June.

State wide snow pack continues to go up. Reports are that 5 feet of snow fell over the weekend in some of the mountains in central and northern Utah....
    Life is Good

Is it at all possible to access (without snow-gear) any pretty areas in Uintas in mid-June?
    Yes, definately. It depends on how high you want to get and where in the Uintas you want to go. (Please excuse some of the poor quality photos).

A few pretty areas in the Uintas that will never or almost never have snow in June:

In the far eastern section of the Uintas, places like Split Mountain should be completely free of snow in mid-June, in fact it can start getting pretty hot by then (photo taken in early April). Consider it to be an almost 100% chance that there won't be snow there.

Jones Hole (a canyon in the easter Uintas) is always a good bet in June (even now I doubt there is much snow there if there is any at all). It is one of the most scenic areas in the Uintas. The photo was taken in June. There's 100% chance that there won't be snow there in June. June can be hot there, but there is plenty of water, pools and waterfalls, so it's easy to cool off.

The area around Dry Fork is also good as well as is the SE section of the Uintas near Red Fleet.

Wild Mountain is also a good bet in June, but water for backpacking might be scarce then.

Diamond Mountain should be excellent in June.

Cold Springs Mountain is another good one in June and the scenery is really good around Limestone Ridge.

Closer to SLC area, but with a greater chance of having snow:

Yellowpine Creek is usually one of the first areas in the Uintas near SLC to melt out. It would be a good bet in mid June. There probably wouldn't be much snow there except high up by the pass.

Abes Lake is at 9800 feet and sometimes has not too much snow then, but other times it does. It probably will have snow this year, but maybe not until you are fairly near the lake.

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.