Thread: IMLAY CANYON

IMLAY CANYON

When is the best time of year to take on Imlay? Is there anytime of year where you do not require a drysuit?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sure...hundreds (perhaps thousands?) of people have done Imlay comfortably without drysuits. Summer (after the Narrows open) is the best time to do Imlay. Of course, you need at least good wetsuit protection.

Nat

The water in imlay is always cold. In late summer the potholes are low/empty, but all organic matter that has fallen into them is rotten and smells quite bad. No matter what time of the year you run it, you are going to be wet for a big part of the day. You also will be in the shade for the last half of the canyon. Going in there without a wetsuit/drysuit is risky, don't underestimate this canyon.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojave Silence View Post
    The water in imlay is always cold. In late summer the potholes are low/empty, but all organic matter that has fallen into them is rotten and smells quite bad. No matter what time of the year you run it, you are going to be wet for a big part of the day. You also will be in the shade for the last half of the canyon. Going in there without a wetsuit/drysuit is risky, don't underestimate this canyon.
    The time of year has very little to do with the water level in the canyon. What counts is what happened in the last three to six months. It can be full in summer if there have been thunderstorms; it can be empty if it has been six months since it last rained. Right now, I am pretty sure it is tip top full, likely to be mostly full into June. With lower water levels it is warmer, but can be more difficult with many pothole escapes.

Then again, in July, with air temperatures up and the sun high in the sky, it can be downright pleasant in there. But, best to plan on at least a 4/3 wetsuit in summer.

Tom

I appreciate the advice. After researching this canyon it seems you spend quite a bit of time in the shade. I think I'll go with a drysuit. The route starts near potato hollow correct? Isn't the first rap near there?

Based on your question, it appears that the full Imlay is your plan? If so, good man (if you are up to it skill wise and in shape wise). Are you going to do it all in one day or two?
    Life is Good

Due to how much I've got going on this year, I probably won't get to do it until next year. Which is fine with me, I realize this canyon is NO joke. When it does go down yea, I plan to do the full imlay over 2 days.

...and by the way Scott, great trip report on Imlay. I'll check out Heaps next but not till after Imlay.

Sorry for blowing you up with replies but did you ever post those picks from your Imlay 2008 trip??? Would love to see them.

Nope. Still waiting for them.

BTW, if possible and if skill set/strong team is in place, I really would suggest busting it out in a day. Heavy packs in Imlay are almost as fun to deal with as heavy packs in Heaps....NOT. It is so much more fun with light packs.

Edit. I just re-read my Heaps report (overnighter) and just like I remembered, I whined about heavy packs. Having done both Heaps and Imlay in a day, I would still recommend light and fast rather than overnight gear.
    Life is Good

Sounds like good advice. That doesn't seem like the canyon that you'd want a big ass pack slowing you down. Are either of those canyons in your not so distant future? Just curious.

They are always in my future. Problem is time. I wanted to do them last summer, didn't work out. I want to do them this year but when??? Who knows. My kids are at an age where their activities are a higher priority than my activities. I have three daughters in Premier League soccer and a son who is in every sport that has a ball. So I squeeze in a canyon (in many senses of the word "squeeze") when ever I can which the past two years has not been too often. I tend to take youth groups out but don't get out with Mapleton Boys very often. I really want to do Smiling Cricket as my next big trip. I don't know you Sir Blazer but I certainly would not be opposed to you coming with the Mapleton boys if we head to Zion for and Imlay or Heaps run.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I really would suggest busting it out in a day. Heavy packs in Imlay are almost as fun to deal with as heavy packs in Heaps....NOT. It is so much more fun with light packs.
    For real.

I can relate Scott. I've got 2 little ones myself. That's why I mentioned that any of these big trips will not be in the near future. I probably have a lot of work to do anyhow prior to venturing into one of these bad boys. Definetely keep me in mind for an Imlay or Heaps run in the future. Thanks again for the advice.