Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The most photographed stone arch in Arches National Park collapsed

The most photographed stone arch in Arches National Park collapsed

updated 03/31/2011 20:22:56 PM ET

ARCHES NATIONAL PARK, Utah — The most photographed stone arch in Arches National Park has collapsed.

Delicate Arch fell sometime early Wednesday, though no one has reported seeing it collapse, said Paul Henderson, the park's chief of interpretation. Henderson believes the arch fell in the overnight hours.

He said the arch, located 1.5 miles from the parking area at Wolfe Ranch, was claimed by forces that will eventually destroy other arches in the park: gravity and erosion.

"They all let go after a while," he said Thursday. Nevertheless, it was the first collapse of a major arch in the park since nearby Wall Arch fell in 2008.

For years, Delicate Arch had been a favorite stopping point for photographers. Like others, it was formed by entrada sandstone being whittled over time into its distinctive formation.

Measuring more than 52 feet tall, Delicate Arch stood out from the rest, being a freestanding natural arch. The arch was originally known as "the Chaps" and "the Schoolmarm's Bloomers" by locals, but it was given its current name by Frank Beckwith in 1933. Henderson said, "It's going to be a sad day in the park not having the most photographed and visited arch in modern time anymore."

Officials from the National Park Service and the Utah Geological Survey visited the site yesterday and confirmed that erosion is the culprit in the collapse.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Grr...that Dean Potter!
    Blog | FB

I guess this is the best for this and not in Environmental.

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    Oh wait. This wasn't the joke?
    Life is Good

Yep, they all let go after a while even on april first.

Well, I for one am glad. I hated that friggen arch.

FINALLY! Now we can open that trail to ATVs. I'll detail the collapse in full color when I'm there next weekend. I blame all the hot air from the Global Warming alarmists.
    Last edited by moabfool; 04-01-2011 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Wasn't funny/sarcastic enough
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

9. Likes accadacca liked this post
    Wow. I thought this was a joke... but I guess the first pics are coming in...

Looks like most of the rubble fell down that south slope.

11. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Oh man, that sucks!

You need to fix the shadow too.
    IF she isn't happy no ones happy. If she isn't happy long enough you'll unhappy with half your stuff.
    http://childbikingutah.blogspot.com/

This is bullcrap if this copyrighted 2011 and in 2016 I went to Delicate Arch and saw it was still up there is no way this is real.

Quote Originally Posted by Katytiger View Post
    This is bullcrap if this copyrighted 2011 and in 2016 I went to Delicate Arch and saw it was still up there is no way this is real.
    Well, the winter solstice was yesterday but it's still over 4 months until April 1st...

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    bogley-----the first to post false news reports.

bogley continues to lead.....

trendsetters
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

That was a funny April Fool's..... And 5 years later it's still catching fish.

Two in one day...Katy AND Clipped in. [Said with tongue in cheek!]

But we should welcome new members, so welcome, both . Many of us are not too bad...I promise!

Rob

Honestly I don't think this is real. It hasn't ever been on the news any ware except here and when you look it up there is only one photograph of the arch fallen over and with simple research on the background I could tell it was not real. There is one other thing, I can find photographs of the arch in 2016 (now when this posted)Name:  IMG_2843.jpg
Views: 15894
Size:  51.4 KB

Derp
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelgamer5631 View Post
    Honestly I don't think this is real. It hasn't ever been on the news any ware except here and when you look it up there is only one photograph of the arch fallen over and with simple research on the background I could tell it was not real. There is one other thing, I can find photographs of the arch in 2016 (now when this posted)
    Nope, it's totally real. Here, I found another photo showing the collapsed arch:

Blog | FB

OH NO!! This saddens me!!

LOL...:)

Horrible...