Thread: Larry Canyon

Larry Canyon

I recently made a trip to the Robber's Roost to do Larry and High Spur Canyons (High Spur trip report in a separate thread) and totally enjoyed both of them. I'd heard differing reports about Larry but found it to be the refreshing romp in the desert that some have described. We camped near the trailhead on the Angel Point road getting to our campsite at dusk on Thursday afternoon. The roads were all in great shape with the only difficulty being a little washout on the way to the Alcatraz trailhead that would only present a problem if you were pulling something big like the 26 foot trailer I hauled down there to camp in. We shuttled a truck to the Larry shuttle spot Friday morning (thanks for the coordinates Shane) and rode an ATV back to camp to start the canyon. In our group of canyoneers was my son and his girlfriend, a Bogleyite DWayne (Devin) and his friend Jason. Five people was just right for our adventure this day. We started the canyon about 10:30am after keeping an eye on the sky due to a little moisture that fell overnight. It turned out to be a perfect day of shirtsleeve hiking with a light breeze that didn't bother any of us that were packing a little extra insulation. The first rappel was anchored off a tree on the edge of the watercourse and from then on the canyon just got more and more enjoyable. All the anchors were in good shape and we encountered little water with yours truly managing to stay completely dry while some others did a little wading. The down-climbs were fun and the long slanted hallway was an interesting obstacle to work through. At the spot we stopped for lunch, we came across a dead golden eagle on the floor of the canyon. We took our time through the canyon and even practiced some releasable anchor contingencies and I had some fun with my camera although I wouldn't call Larry a particularly photogenic canyon. The exit crack was of little challenge to the climbers in our group but the scramble up the slickrock was a bit tiring for all. We got to the shuttle vehicle at dusk and had a shower and sloppy joes waiting for us at camp. It was one of those days that just reinforces your love of the sport and I'll definitely do Larry Canyon again.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I like that canyon, but not the hike out. After doing that canyon, it was the last time I used a keg.

Looks like a great trip. Glad you found a different spot for your trailer.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Hey, that looks like Devin...........

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Hey, that looks like Devin...........
    Indeed it is. I still get to do a canyon here and there... And after going through Larry, I can see why people have very different opinions of it. Kinda. It is definitely a great canyon. Some cool rappels and downclimbs. That slanted hallway is definitely something. Being a few inches taller, a lot heavier, and significantly more out of shape than the rest of the group, that thing wore me out. The shorter/lighter/thinner folks in the group didnt seem to have nearly the battle I did. It wasnt too bad, but all the bouncing off my left elbow and the 15 different ways I tried to carry my pack to get through did beat me up a little, but the worst was just how tired my shoulders got from holding my pack up. I could have just hooked it to my harness and drug it along, and that prolly would have saved me a lot of energy. As described, it is nothing difficult or tricky, just tiresome for some people. And the hike out was a bit long, but nothing more than you would expect from doing a canyon in Robbers Roost
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

I have always liked Larry Canyon. Thanks for the TR.
    Life is Good