Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Bogley Fest - Oct 13-16 (Robbers Roost Area)

I'm looking for a group to go with on Friday and would like to do either something in the Bluejohn complex (I've done west Bluejohn) or Not Mindbender (did it last year) or possibly a photography group that wants to do High Spur (did it earlier this year but the wind was howling and the light was not good that day - it is a ways out there tho). The Mindbenders and High Spur need shuttle participation but I'd be happy to lead/co-lead those canyons. For saturday I have some additional people coming in friday late and we're planning on doing Larry and have room for a few more people to join the group. Larry needs shuttle participation also. I'll be coming in thursday afternoon and will be in the camping trailer with the white Chev Duramax crew cab pickup if anybody wants to chat. -Ted

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think we will be ok, with enough people willing to take others thru some canyons. It kinda depends on how many people actually show up. Taking 5-6 people per group should be fine for most if not all the canyons that have been mentioned so far. This is not the way I intended to set this up, but I did the best with what I had, lol

Quote Originally Posted by kokopelli99 View Post
    Is there a water source at Granary Spring or should I bring water? Also, if there are not enough people willing to lead, any thoughts on how the determination will be made as to who participates? Based on who signed up first? level of experience? drawing straws? feats of strength?

Karl

I sure hope no one get's left behind, I really do not want that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by kokopelli99 View Post
    My concern was not whether I will be able to hit any particular canyon - I'm grateful as a newbie to whoever allows me to participate and gain some experience - but whether I would be able to participate at all. If leaders are scarce, will some people basically be left at camp to keep groups to a managable size?

Mindbender and High Spur do not need shuttles. Larry also does not need a shuttle, but it would be nice. Bring this up on Thursday night or sometime Friday.I think you might get some takers for Larry.

Quote Originally Posted by remoteman45 View Post
    I'm looking for a group to go with on Friday and would like to do either something in the Bluejohn complex (I've done west Bluejohn) or Not Mindbender (did it last year) or possibly a photography group that wants to do High Spur (did it earlier this year but the wind was howling and the light was not good that day - it is a ways out there tho). The Mindbenders and High Spur need shuttle participation but I'd be happy to lead/co-lead those canyons. For saturday I have some additional people coming in friday late and we're planning on doing Larry and have room for a few more people to join the group. Larry needs shuttle participation also. I'll be coming in thursday afternoon and will be in the camping trailer with the white Chev Duramax crew cab pickup if anybody wants to chat. -Ted

I beg to differ with you there Mr Wasatch with the exception of Mind Bender. But if you're doing Not Mind Bender, the Moki exit parking spot and the trailhead are 6 miles of road walking apart. I'd say that needs a shuttle. And maybe you're okay about considerably long hikes after reaching the roads but Larry and High Spur are pretty good hikes after you come out of the canyon as well and are 100 times more enjoyable with shuttles. Has it been a while since you've done those?

the canyons are all short enough in the roost that you never NEED a car shuttle. some may prefer one though. but the shuttles usually only save 1-2 hours of hiking... ymmv

One of the sweet things about a Bogley-fest is shuttles are seldom an issue as there are usually plenty of vehicles to make most shuttles work.

Wouldn't you love a shuttle over the road walking when you've come up the MIA exit from Kolob Creek? Not an option for most people so you do a long mandatory walk back to the West Rim trailhead. But if you can arrange a shuttle - why not. I know I was sure happy to see my truck at the top of the Larry exit as well as Not Mind Bender and after coming out of High Spur you can see nearly back to where you started so to not have to do all that road walking after the canyon is fine with me. Maybe I sound like a wuss but I'll bet ya I'm one of if not the oldest guy in the Roost doing canyons this weekend so maybe I appreciate a shuttle, when one can be arranged, more than some of the younger crowd. Although I've never had any of the younger crowd that has gone with me say they'd rather walk than ride when given the option. Just sayin......

If anyone checks this Thursday morning, I'm hoping to get to Granary Spring at 8-9 AM. I'm looking at doing NE Fork Twin Corral, swinging back to camp, and then maybe going to Horseshoe Canyon if there is still enough daylight left. Red car.

@remoteman45 - I'd be game for Larry, Alcatraz, Not MB, High Spur, or Blue John etc. Although my car is not high clearance and wouldn't work well as a shuttle for some of those, I could co-lead.

I'm locking this thread as the event has happened.

Please post trip reports here:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?60993

Thanks