Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried Vibram five fingers shoes in the slots yet?

Anyone tried Vibram five fingers shoes in the slots yet?

I have jumped on the latest of trendy wagons and bought two pair of Veebs and I was wondering if anyone has tested the manufacturer's claims to the limits yet. Supposedly they are the rage in the bouldering community, long distance running community etc. They have pretty lofty claims. I wonder if they would hold up in canyoneering conditions or be reduced to shreds in seconds. The Flow or treksport seem like good test pieces for the slots. All that aside they are comfy as can be, I love them. http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I personally wouldn't wear mine into a canyon. too many sharp things to walk on. I'll stick to flat stuff.
    The man thong is wrong.

what is your prefered slot foot gear? Trashed old sneakers? Hiking Boots? does anyone wear climbing shoes or aquasocks? I want to bring the vibrams at least for the sandy washes, might be really fun

five fingers sound miserable. bashing toes, stepping on rocks, no support, would get torn apart easily, sand between the shoe and skin, etc... definitely not for a slot.

old running shoes work well, but most people prefer approach style shoes with sticky rubber. anything that you are happy to destroy will work well though. neoprene socks are very common, especially if there's any water. also good to keep sand out.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    There has been some discussion of this before:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ghlight=vibram

Me, I have tenderfeet, even have trouble wearing sandals. Canyoneers for me!

Tom

Blog Entries
    5Finger Toes, KSOs are THE worst shoe for canyoneering, 2nd to flipflops. IMO.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    5Finger Toes, KSOs are THE worst shoe for canyoneering, 2nd to flipflops. IMO.
    Jman: Personal experience or just estimation? I am thinking the neoprene uppers will get thrashed and it would limit hop downs on rocks some styles might let lots of sand in. I am skeptical at best but think it might be worth a try as long as I bring other footwear to bail to.

ratagonia thanks for the link to the older discussion.

In Salt Lake these have only been available retail for close to a year and a half now at R.E.I. but lately they order 10,000 units and sell out by the end of the week (or so the salesperson said) so many folks in Utah are buying direct from Vibram online for popular foot sizes. Definitely a hot item sales wise, also knock off poor quality versions are popping up online so you know they are doing really well. the best form of flattery is imitation.

I once followed Sasquatch through Hard Day Harvey... or so we thought until we figured out it was someone wearing those five finger shoes we were following the tracks of. Can't say what they were like but someone had the same idea as you. I'll probably stick with my 5.10 Canyoneers for slots and my La Sportiva Solutions for bouldering but let us know how they work for you (I've never seen anyone at Momentum or outside bouldering with them or heard of anyone using them for bouldering so I can't say they are the "rage," in the bouldering community here, at least not that I've seen. I do know a couple climbers who LOVE them for running though).

Quote Originally Posted by mr. incognito View Post
    In Salt Lake these have only been available retail for close to a year and a half now at R.E.I. but lately they order 10,000 units and sell out by the end of the week (or so the salesperson said)
    You know how to tell when the salesperson is lying, don't ya?

His lips are moving!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125 View Post
    I once followed Sasquatch through Hard Day Harvey... or so we thought until we figured out it was someone wearing those five finger shoes we were following the tracks of. Can't say what they were like but someone had the same idea as you. I'll probably stick with my 5.10 Canyoneers for slots and my La Sportiva Solutions for bouldering but let us know how they work for you (I've never seen anyone at Momentum or outside bouldering with them or heard of anyone using them for bouldering so I can't say they are the "rage," in the bouldering community here, at least not that I've seen. I do know a couple climbers who LOVE them for running though).
    Outside of my personal entourage I haven't seen them in use outdoors at all but the rumors I've been hearing is that boulderers and slab climbers dig em (without hard edges, besides smearing they would be useless unless you have hulk toe strength I guess) and they are the bomb for running marathons. Yeah I haven't seen them at Momentum either funny, they sell them next door.

I met a guy on Handies Peak in the San Juans last summer wearing them. 5 miles of very sharp and loose scree and he was loving them

oops apparently this has been well discussed and I fired off a thread prematurely. here is a second thread covering this topic.
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre.....-and-canyons
    Seems like the verdict is mixed some people really love them others quick to disdain...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. incognito View Post
    oops apparently this has been well discussed and I fired off a thread prematurely. here is a second thread covering this topic.
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre.....-and-canyons
    Seems like the verdict is mixed some people really love them others quick to disdain...
    I was one who joined the 5finger KSO bandwagon, and love them (still do) for running and jogging. And I made the mistake and took them through the Leprechauns last year.......and never ever ever again. My feet were ground beef!

I was thinking since my adapated to them for running (never had any problems after the 2nd month or so in them) then I could test out for hiking and canyoneering - just to see what my foot traction and response would be. My feet were destroyed just doing one canyon with it...never again! They were too thin, the sandstone rubbed a few holes into it, and sand kept on getting inside - and I was going insane with rage with how horrible they were and mad at myself for not bringing in a backup shoe.

So yes, 1st hand experience for me with em.
    5.10s or similar approach shoes, or even old tennis shoes (with their traction still intact obviously) work the best. Why not have all 3?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Last summer's Zion trip was the (dis)proving ground for the Five Fingers. My buddy swore that they were the most awesome shoes ever and he was going to wear them the whole weekend. He stuck to his story, even when he was limping out of The Narrows with a blister on each foot the size of an egg. I think I'll wear real shoes. Thanks Vibram. Not only do I have to talk people out of wearing Tevas and Chacos in the canyons, now I have your foot gloves to contend with. A quote comes to mind.

"Look, mister, there's two kinds of dumb, the guy that gets naked and runs out in the snow and barks at the moon, and the guy who does the same thing in my living room. First one don't matter, the second one you're kinda forced to deal with." -George (from the movie "Hoosiers")
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

Yeah I have tried it a couple times because I love mine so much. But they are no canyoneers and I leave them at home now.

Stubbed toes, sand gets in them, and almost twisted my ankle sliding in between two rocks. They suck. Canyoneers with waterproof socks is th eonly way to go IMO.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Why the Chacos hate? They've got great traction and they're comfortable. I've tried the 5.10 guides, the Canyoneers, and beat-up running shoes and I always come back to my Chacos. Why the derision for the Chaco-lovers?
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx View Post
    Why the Chacos hate? They've got great traction and they're comfortable. I've tried the 5.10 guides, the Canyoneers, and beat-up running shoes and I always come back to my Chacos. Why the derision for the Chaco-lovers?
    There is a lot of personal preference involved in footwear choices. Me, I am not a sandal person, so I like all the protection provided with Canyoneers. Some people cannot stand that much coverage.

Vive les differences...

Tom

A group once let us play through in Englestead, a few people in their group were wearing Chacos. One was rappelling and had a medium size rock fall and slice off his big toe... ouch. Probably wouldn't have happened had he been wearing closed toe shoes. I later heard from Bo that he was airlifted out the next day but the toe went without circulation for too long and they were not able to reattach it. I don't like sandals either (just personal preference) and will admit I have a bit of anxiety when people in my group wear them because I'm always afraid I'm gonna have to deal with a sliced toe (as a side note, it was this guys first canyon ever and I'd guess rappelling technique had something to do with his accident. I'd probably advise against noobs wearing Chacos but someone expierenced at not letting rocks fall while on rap I'd worry less about).

As for the vibram 5 finger. I took a friend and a group of his friends through Monkey business about a year and a half ago. There was a girl in the group that showed up wearing them, I tried to talk her out of it. Tried to convince her no matter how long she claimed to have been hiking in them they were going to suck. Who doesn't love being able to say I told you so. As with others on this thread, her feet were hamburger by the end, she was all but crippled by the time we got back to the car.

Chaco's I absolutely love, just not in the canyons. I accidentally bought 2 left Canyoneers at ZAC on our way to do Heaps the first time. Since I refused to miss out on Heaps, I did the entire canyon in my Chaco's with a pair of wool socks. So first hand experience, don't use Chaco's in the canyons. Although all the guys with me got to laugh at me the whole way, and for some time after. So I guess there was at least one positive, we all had a good laugh at my expense.

I own a pair of wading shoes (fishing) by a company called Korkers. The soles are inter changeable. I thought I'd drag them along this year for the wet hikes. One of the soles has a nice sticky, rubber bottom. Pretty light too. Probably will wear with a neoprene sock. Let you know whether they're worth a shit in the canyons.
    As for dry hiking, give me my Scarpas. Light, breathable, good support and keeps the toes protected.