Thread: TR Hog II March 20, 2011

TR Hog II March 20, 2011

Abating weather in Winter’s final hours conceded a striking but windy view of the Saturday night super moon rising and a perfect Sunday for a Hog II descent. We camped at Drill Hole just down the road past the Hog TH and out towards the Trachyte area providing views of North Wash, Butler and Lake Powell area.
    Hog II is a fun canyon with more rappels and not quite the stemming challenges or the ball bearing, clothes trashing rock found in Hog I. In his book, M. Kelsey calls Hog II the middle fork and possibly the best of the three Hogs.

Eschewing the crack down climb and the lower canyon drainage entrance, we opted for the 45 meter entrance drop where we pulled the brittle webbing and rebuilt the wedged anchor supporting this rappel that descends past a couple of low angle shallow potholes followed by a vertical 17 meter descent to the bottom of the crack. Further down canyon the two stage rappel requires a beached whale start that everyone seems to have their own way of doing - such fun.
    The best rappel in this canyon is a mostly free hang, 20 – 25 meter drop into a circular shaped chamber. The exit down canyon from the bottom of this chamber is across from the far wall and directly below the rappel point – very cool. We used a meat anchored rope hand line for the drop thru the birth canal and into the knee deep pool below and a partner assist for the last person down. The top section of this down climb looks tricky but in practice well formed natural ledges in the sandstone facilitate the approach to the squeeze section.
    We chose the Hog I / Hog II rib exit with the somewhat challenging 9 meter slick rock base climb defeated by our best climber and by a thrown hand line for the rest of us.

Thanks to my canyoneering partners Ray, Dave, Monica and Paul for a great time.

Doug French
    Attached Images Attached Images                                    
    Last edited by french_de; 01-13-2015 at 04:36 PM. Reason: text lost in migration

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Awesome! Thanks Paul.

Tom

Blog Entries
    I like Hog2 a lot. Brings back some fun memories! Thanks for sharing.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Nice, I need to give that one a try.

"windy view..." well, I'll say without dead-manning the tents we would have been blown into OZ...

This is pure trip report genius.

Nice! Glad to see you are still getting out Doug!

Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    Nice! Glad to see you are still getting out Doug!
    Thanks AJ. We have had to cancel a few trips because of weather and injuries so it was nice to get out. It came in the nick of time this canyoneering fix to alleviate the urban anxiety.

Bogley BigShot
    Wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by french_de View Post
    Thanks AJ. We have had to cancel a few trips because of weather and injuries so it was nice to get out. It came in the nick of time this canyoneering fix to alleviate the urban anxiety.
    I can appreciate that. We just got out this past weekend, and it was definitely a nice change of scenery.

Hope to cross paths on one of the trips this year!
    A.J.