Thread: Professor Creek - Moab, UT

Professor Creek - Moab, UT

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and a beginner in terms of canyoneering... I've done rappels and such in scouting, but it's been a while.

Anyways - My main question is about Professor Creek - I've tried looking around and it looks like you get to the trailhead and after a while start going upstream, but there are a few obstacles... one or two being a rappel down a waterfall.

I'd like to hike it with my wife, but I don't have any equipment... Would it be worth it to go as far as we can and then turn around? Could we get very far?

If we do decide to get rope and other gear, what all would we need? Could we get by with just rope? I'm just looking for some advice from someone that is familiar with the area.

thanks!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Would it be worth it to go as far as we can and then turn around? Could we get very far?

Yes, you can see most of the best parts of Professor Creek without a rope. The hike up to the waterfall is a nice trip. It's maybe 8-9 miles round trip and very easy.

Could we get by with just rope?
    No; not to get down the waterfalls. You will need more equipment than that and the knowlege of how to use it.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

thanks for the heads up! that's what I needed to know!

So after hearing and seeing so many good things about this hike, I made it my adventure of the day. Unfortunately, despite following a very etched in the ground trail for 2 hours, I found nothing! I kept seeing the canyon to the left of me, but the trail never went down into it. Did I miss a turn somewhere? Was I supposed to follow the dried up creek wash to the canyon? Thank you for any help anyone can provide!!

I kept seeing the canyon to the left of me, but the trail never went down into it.
    There is no trail going left into the canyon from the rim. That's not the way to come in without ropes.

Was I supposed to follow the dried up creek wash to the canyon?
    No, you were supposed to follow the wet (not dry) creek up. You shouldn't have been following any dry wash.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

it was all dry. even from the trailhead so could be why i got so lost.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cutieswift View Post
    it was all dry. even from the trailhead so could be why i got so lost.
    That's surprising...even in May. I highly doubt Professor was dry. I did Professor last year in August and it had a moderate flow then.

Do you have a gps track or a map to show us where you went? I'm very curious where you went.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I took this road to the lowest point and followed the trail along the squiggly line. There is a Private ranch along this road, which is about 3 miles east of the Castle Valley turnoff on the 128.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I've never been there yet (planning to this summer), but it's pretty easy to see from google earth where you went. Shortly after leaving your car, the trail ends up heading southwest following along a dry wash. You needed to head southeast, following professor creek. There should have been water from the start.

the only water there was in the dam :(