Thread: Best Campsite in Red Cliffs Desert Reserve

Best Campsite in Red Cliffs Desert Reserve

I'm headed out with my wife this weekend to Red Cliffs Desert Reserve. This is my first trip there, and I was wondering which campsite would be best. Looking at the maps I see several options. I'm thinking either Red Cliffs or Cottonwood because they are near the hikes I would like to do, but I'd consider other ones if they are much better. Also, any suggestions as to what to do while I'm there. Specifically where are the best slot canyons? However, I'm open to any other suggestions. THANKS

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There are some pretty awesome primitive car camping sites near the babylon section (Leeds) of the desert reserve. You would have the place to yourself on a week night...weekends might see a few partiers but I think it is a little early for them still!

You've probably seen this link as it has maps of trails and such.

http://www.redcliffsdesertreserve.com/

I've camped there a few times. I could not find a map with numbered tent spots to tell you the spot #, but I remember staying at the tip of the loop next to a red cliff with a big hole in the wall. Would be good to reflect camp fire heat if it were chilly out, plus neighbors on only one side and trees for some privacy. Plus you're right at the beginning of a trailhead. You can hike, or if you mountain bike there are trails for that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan View Post
    I remember staying at the tip of the loop next to a red cliff with a big hole in the wall. Would be good to reflect camp fire heat if it were chilly out, plus neighbors on only one side and trees for some privacy. Plus you're right at the beginning of a trailhead. You can hike, or if you mountain bike there are trails for that too.

[FONT=Verdana]That sounds like a great spot. Do you happen to remember which camp site it

It was Red Cliffs CG proper; the one you get to when you exit to Leeds and drive through town a bit, then go under the highway viaduct. Signs indicate the way.

I have not been to the other campgrounds within the Red Cliffs Reserve, but in case all of Red Cliffs CG are full, it's good to have a back up campground in mind. I can say that Red Cliffs is in the red rock, not sure if the others will be too or out in open sagebrush area.

If you have Google Earth the lat/long of the site is 37 13' 13.11" N, 113 24' 21.63" W

The biking can be good but there are some "sand pits" as well as the trails are out in the flats.