Thread: Needles in May

Needles in May

My wife and I are doing an overnight backpack in the needles in mid-May. This will be our first trip to Utah. We are camping in Elephant Canyon, but plan to hike to Chesler Park or Druid Arch for a day hike. Will there be any reliable water sources in the area or should we plan on packing in all of our water? Also, how should we store food overnight? I am not picturing any trees that I can hang a sack from. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There is usually water there in May, but by then it could be stagnant. You can probably hand your food from rocks if you need to.

PS, mid-May isn't the best time of year for Chesler Park/Druid Arch, but it is much better than June through mid September. In mid May, Upper Salt Creek is usually more pleasant than the area around Chesler Park/Druid Arch and is probably the crowning jewel in Canyonlands NP. Chesler Park and Druid Arch are still facinating, but it may be quite hot then (although you could get lucky).
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Welcome Amiller--

There should definitely be plenty of water in Elephant Canyon (especially upper). But... just to clarify in that area plenty of water means frequent outbreaks of shallow pools which are pretty much stagnant. You should definately filter or purify. If this doesn't appeal to you, depending on the length of the hike, just carry in what you need. If you are in EC -- you really should make an effort to see Druid Arch AND Chesler Park (AND the Joint Trail too!) If it is hot like Scott warned... maybe see if you can change your plans to Lost Canyon or Salt Creek -- running water in both of those places.

RE: hanging food. Some may take issue, but I rarely worry about this in Utah. You definitely won't be in bear country (maybe if you get to Upper Salt Creek). The pesky pack rats will definitely get at anything left out or open, but I've never had them chew into anything. I actually usually keep my food bag in my tent -- my food is precious while on a hike!

Enjoy.

- Jamal

Consider starting your hike at the Elephant Hill parking area as opposed to Squaw Flat. Your campsite will likely only be 3 miles from your car and you could always return to your vehicle to haul in more water if needed. Get an early am start for Druid and then head over to Chesler. You can chill out in the Joint Trail environs during the heat of the day. Carry some form of electrolytes/salts.

I agree that you don't need to stress the food storage thing. Keep it in your tent and you'll be fine. Try to hang out for sunset in Chesler Park; it's magical. Ask the rangers about the water situation. They should be able to tell you what to expect. I've always found water that I could filter in Elephant Canyon both in spring and fall, but you have to hunt a little for it. Erial's suggestion to hide in the Joint trail in the heat of the day is excellent. Another cooler spot would be the bottom of the mushroom rocks that are just past the "pass" between Devil's Kitchen and CP. Be careful of cryptobiotic soil (you can't walk on it at all), but if you stay on slickrock or sandy washes you can explore quite a bit off trail. All such explorations will be rewarded!
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Thanks for all of the great (and quick) replies. I should have written Chesler Park and Druid Arch. We do plan on seeing both. I think we can time the first day so we hit the Joint Trail in the early afternoon. I will plan on carrying all water in unless the rangers tell me different when we get there. I will be posting another message on the hiking page, so I hope to see you over there.

I did this trip one March and we did carry all of our water. Also, since it was one night for us, just brought an easy dinner that did not require a lot of boilage (maybe soup or a mountain home?). Ranger station will have the latest on water sources, but "latest" was 3 weeks prior when I recall asking the ranger back then.