Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Zion Fest June 18 & 19 2011

Answering for myself. I called the Kolob desk (seems easier to get through to them) and they told me it was still closed. They claimed to be "checking it everyday" but I'm skeptical of that. Ugh.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    Answering for myself. I called the Kolob desk (seems easier to get through to them) and they told me it was still closed. They claimed to be "checking it everyday" but I'm skeptical of that. Ugh.
    Are you also asking about Das Boot? I assume that they will not open Das Boot for awhile - unless they are waiting for Das Boot to be passable before issuing the green light for Subway.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Hi Chris - yep still plenty of room at the group site. It holds 40 folks. I signed up for the minimum (20) to keep the initial cost low (it's $3/person) but we'll just increase it when we see how many people are coming. I think there might be 10 campers so far, but I haven't kept close track. The more the merrier!

Anybody heard anything more about Subway?
    I guess I should have read more carefully, I didn't know that... maybe I will stay Sunday night it thats ok.
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

The countdown has begun - next week at this time, the potluck will be in full swing!
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Chere'

Sweet, it sounds like the Subway is finally open again. Maybe we won't need that backup plan after all.

At one point we were talking about some of us starting early and doing Das Boot before meeting the rest of the group at the junction. Is anyone still interested in trying this? There are 6 walk-up spots available. I could probably get to the backcountry desk Saturday morning to try for them, but since I'll be staying in St George (and with Family) Friday night and we are planing to hike Taylor Creek in the Kolob section Saturday morning it would be out of my way and would probably annoy the wife. Is anyone going to be in the main canyon or at the backcountry desk Saturday morning?

Das Boot is still closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    Das Boot is still closed.
    Alright then, that answers that. Thanks.

It seems that Das Boot is now open.

Alright! Things are coming together. A few items I wanted to post:

Das Boot: Don - talk to Dave (Pubalz) about getting the permit. Dave said previously he would get it on Friday. It will be either 5 or 4 for Das Boot. Aaron will stick with his friend Jack. I'm on the fence. I may stick with the main group as it would take some persuading to split up with Robin and we have Mon & Tue for more canyons. We should firm when we know you have the permit and what time you will start to make the meet up at the junction as close as possible. We want to have a leisurely time in Subway AND make it back for plenty of fest time. So the Das Boot group will need to start quite early.

BBQ: So far we've got,
    jman: burgers, buns, ketchup, mustard
    Dave: Chili
    Don: Charcoal, Dutch Oven desert, beer
    Me: beer, soft drinks, burger extra stuff (cheese, tomatoes, onion), bruschetta appetizer

Just keep thinking of stuff we don't have. Like firewood! Any locals have a stash of wood they can bring up?

Saturday: I'm going to post an invite for the MTB ride in the bike forum in case bikers aren't following here. I think there is a family hike going on elsewhere if others want to join that. Anyone want to meet for Pizza on Saturday night or something else?

Can't wait to see you all around the BBQ!
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

What's up all. Rejoining late as usual...

Anything in particular needed for the BBQ? If not I'll just show up with some default meat and some form of snacks.

Paul, Don -- sounds like we are good for Subway? What's up with this Boot thing? Flying seat-of-pants so I'm happy to join for anything from hikes to any canyon in which we can expect a reasonable chance of survival. :)

Any spot to stay for Saturday? I can be small... Planning to stay at group site on Sunday if that's still good.

Just keep thinking of stuff we don't have. Like firewood! Any locals have a stash of wood they can bring up?
    We will bring up a grundle of cedar for a fire saturday night.
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

Quote Originally Posted by Pelon1 View Post
    We will bring up a grundle of cedar for a fire saturday night.
    You'll want to bring that wood (and yourselves) on Sunday night!

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    I was watching the reservations for Watchman hoping to get a site on Friday and noticed another site pop-up for Saturday night. I snagged it so now we have two sites available for anyone who needs a spot to crash that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    What's up all. Rejoining late as usual...

Anything in particular needed for the BBQ? If not I'll just show up with some default meat and some form of snacks.

Paul, Don -- sounds like we are good for Subway? What's up with this Boot thing? Flying seat-of-pants so I'm happy to join for anything from hikes to any canyon in which we can expect a reasonable chance of survival. :)

Any spot to stay for Saturday? I can be small... Planning to stay at group site on Sunday if that's still good.

@Erik; Ibenick (Nick) has 2 watchman sites reserved for Saturday the 18th and as far as I know just him, Pubalz (Dave) and I will be in them. Hit him up in a PM ‘cause I expect we can make room for you that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    @Erik; Ibenick (Nick) has 2 watchman sites reserved for Saturday the 18th and as far as I know just him, Pubalz (Dave) and I will be in them. Hit him up in a PM ‘cause I expect we can make room for you that night.
    This is true, I booked two sites. Pubalz is going to pay for the first site I booked and I'll be in the other. Not sure which one Don is crashing in but I'm sure we'll have plenty of room between the two sites. I'll email you the information.

It has come to my attention that some folks have been mistakenly thinking that the BBQ fest at the Watchman Group site E001 was on Saturday. It is not. We have that site for our BBQ on Sunday June 19. We were unable to secure a large group site for Saturday and decided to have the BBQ on Sunday instead.

Hope you all can come hang with us on SUNDAY!

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    As I will be unable to rent the kids wet suits do to unexpected car expenses this month plus Sarah taking a crash on her bike on injuring her arm, we will be doing the family hike Saturday instead of biking and Keyhole. Also Alison and I have figured out our issues with the kids on Sunday so most likely we will all be at the BBQ. I still plan on bringing pulled pork and sunshine cookies. Look forward to seeing you all soon!
    Chere'

I'm going to be backpacking La Verkin Creek in Kolob Friday into Saturday if anyone wants to join. Thought I had a partner lined up but it fell through and now I'm solo. Planning on being into Springdale early Saturday afternoon for the rest of the festivities. Email me if you're interested.

Phew! Road tripping my life away this past week. I will be there in all my ridiculous glory. Not sure what I am bringing to the BBQ though because I can't think that far in advance. It will be good though. So stupid question moment: should I rent a wetsuit? The reason I ask is because I am going to have to factor that into my "timeline" of what and how much running around I need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by abirken View Post
    Phew! Road tripping my life away this past week. I will be there in all my ridiculous glory. Not sure what I am bringing to the BBQ though because I can't think that far in advance. It will be good though. So stupid question moment: should I rent a wetsuit? The reason I ask is because I am going to have to factor that into my "timeline" of what and how much running around I need to do.

The water is going to be cold and you will be swimming in it. Not long stretches, but definitely swimming. You will be miserable without neoprene socks, those are a must-have. But I think a wetsuit will make the day more enjoyable and is probably worth your time/money...

Wetsuit or not; throw a light fleece or sweater (and maybe a fleece cap) into a dry bag and bring it along...