Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zion Fest June 18 & 19 2011

Zion Fest June 18 & 19 2011

It's official!

We've got a bunch of folks coming out to Zion for a Bogley Fest the weekend of June 18 & 19. Plus several of the local folks have already marked their calendars.

The big, don't-miss-it-or-we'll-write-about-you-in-rubbish-bin BBQ will be held on Sunday June 19 at the Watchman campground, group site E001.

Anyone who would like to camp at the group site is welcome to do so (up to the max of 40 people). Unfortunately, I could not get any group sites for Saturday. But there are still some individual sites at Watchman available (check out Zion Campground Info or www.recreation.gov reservations

We can use this thread to figure out who is bringing what on Sunday. And to plan for some canyons/hikes or rides during the weekend or the days before or after. Pretty sure a few of us plan to make this a long weekend.

If anyone wants to volunteer to lead a canyon that would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure.

Also, help for securing permits for any of the canyons within the park would be very nice too. The lottery for June is closing soon as is the opening of reservations. Unfortunately, I'll be camping that day and probably unable to access the internet.

Check back here for more details and add to the thread to tell us you're coming and where you plan to stay.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have to nail down a firm schedule but I'd like to get down there on the 16th and stay through the 21st or 22nd. I'll probably have the wife and son with me the 16th, 17th and 18th so I'll be focused on easier family friendly hikes those days. Then I'll be available for something more aggressive the 19th, 20th, 21st and maybe 22nd. I still need to look at permits for 19-22.
    Since the wife and son will miss the Sunday night camp-dinner I hope we can plan a group dinner (camp or in town) for Friday and/or Saturday nights...?
    I'll be talking to Cody and Josh and trying to drag them down too.
    Looking forward to it.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Woohoo! Looking forward to it.
    Chere'

Oh, and a message for the lurkers:
    This is an OPEN-INVITATION group camp out! It's not a formal guided trip. There's not really anything formal about it; it's a bunch of people (who mainly just know each other 'cause we met on the interwebs) camping and hiking together. And YOU are welcome to come an join us! Plan your own campsite (or talk to Paul about joining the group site mentioned above, but that is only available one night) and plan your own day hikes (or bike rides) or use this thread to talk to other participants with whom you would like to camp or hike.
    There's loads of good advice (and even more bad advice ) on this site; jump in with the planning now and join us in Zion in June!

Paul I don't know much about the lottery system in Zion but being in close proximity I would be willing to help out anyway I can with getting permits. Let me know what you need me to do.
    Chere'

Hoping I might be able to join in the fun, but too soon for me to tell?!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Paul I don't know much about the lottery system in Zion but being in close proximity I would be willing to help out anyway I can with getting permits. Let me know what you need me to do.
    Where you live close you need to drop by the visitor center and watch the short film so you can use the online Zion Express System. It is the only way to get Zion permits.

Looking forward to that weekend i just hope i can find some decent camping now that Mosquito cove is closed
    Don`t be afraid your life will end be afraid it will never begin fear is the thief of all dreams...

Quote Originally Posted by Pubalz View Post
    Looking forward to that weekend i just hope i can find some decent camping now that Mosquito cove is closed
    I have no personal knowledge, but someone mentioned to me the idea of camping up around Gooseberry Mesa. Of course, Sunday you can always stay at the group site.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Seeing I missed last year, I'm going to try to be there this year. :-)
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Blog Entries
    Added the event to the New "Calendar" feature, in the red navigation bar at the top. Check it out! BTW, tell me if anyone is able to edit it? If not, give me the details and I'll fill in the rest.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I'm dying to go but just can't swing the airfare. Not many affordable flights options to choose from Jacksonville to Vegas that time of year. Have fun everyone!

Tangent: I did find dirt cheap airfare into Denver in late July and will be trying to convince my Denver buddy to get out further East in Utah with me then. If anyone around that side of the Utah is interested, pm me and we'll keep in touch!

"Mosquito cove is closed" ?

That is too bad. What happened? What is this mesa camping the someone mentioned? Planning to get there also, just have to confirm that one June trip (planned earlier) doesn't conflict. Checking on that now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    "Mosquito cove is closed" ?

That is too bad. What happened? What is this mesa camping the someone mentioned? Planning to get there also, just have to confirm that one June trip (planned earlier) doesn't conflict. Checking on that now.
    Yeah, it Was closed down by the BLM due to the flooding a month ago. I talked to the BLM in St. George back in March and the latest word is that there is no ETA for reopening this year.

I believe the Mesa they are referring to is Smith Mesa which is before the town of Virgin on the North side. Im not sure exactly where from there however...
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I thought Chere was talking about camping near Gooseberry Mesa? But I'm worthless in this regard; I know no mesas in the STG/Springdale area, and my camping in Zion has been either backcountry or Watchmans.

But, while I'm posting: I wanted to remind that I have slots available for Subway on Sunday.

I'm also pondering a trip down Orderville for Saturday. Either as a Birch finish or just by itself. Anybody interested in doing either of these?

We'll be sticking around Mon/Tue and maybe Wed as well. Considering Fat Man's as an overnight or *maybe* 3 days in Right Fork. But I think the later may be pushing it with my family depending on how much other stuff we do on the weekend.

I was talking about Gooseberry.... if Aaron wants to ride the mesa that is. Great camping spots up there. I don't know anything about Smith Mesa. I won't be camping with the rest of you I have house guests that weekend. But still plan on hiking Subway. Maybe something else depending on what is going on.
    Chere'

Let's pick a day for an AM ride on Gooseberry, Chere. Is Saturday your only option for that, or are you available to ride on Fri or Mon?

Fri or Mon work
    Chere'

Mosquito Cove was full of campers last weekend, gate still locked but they parked and hiked in.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com