Thread: Moab area 2-3 day backpacking trip....trail ideas?? last minute

Moab area 2-3 day backpacking trip....trail ideas?? last minute

Well, I'm off for a backpacking trip tomorrow. Original plan was Phipps arch area in Escalante. The weather down there is looking cold/snowy, so I'm thinking about switching to moab where it will be warm and sunny.

Does anyone have any ideas? Looking for either a trail 20-30 miles, or an area we can just wander and blaze our own path (maybe a couple destinations included?)

We are experienced backpackers, and can handle any terrain (though nothing including technical gear). We have water purifying systems, though having water in the area is a plus.

Less people around is better. I'm looking for a wilderness experience, but at this last minute planning stage I'm not too picky.

I've heard there are some large expanses near Dead Horse Point that could be good? Possibly out past the Sovergn trail for a wandering trip?

Much thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

not really much overnight type hiking at deadhorse point state park. its up on the rim and no trails. i think you need to head to either the needles or the maze.

the needles is the easier to get to. lots of marked trails and you can go off trail all over the place and poke around. lots of ruins and lots of rockart.

depending on what kind of vehicle you have will determine how close you can get to the maze before starting to walk. lots to see there as well.

can't imagine the weather being that different in moab from escalante though.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Yeah, checkout the Needles District, Chesler Park area, it should keep you busy for 2-3 days easy with all the side canyons/arches.

Does anyone know what the rules are for talking your dog on the trails in that area? We are looking at heading down that way the end of April. We want to tent camp and do some hikes.

In regards to dogs in Canyonlands NP, there may be some trails where they'll let you take them for a walk on lease for a dayhike, but I seriously doubt you can take them into the backcountry.
    We highly recommend the Needles District. Nice campground but limited spaces. If you go backcountry, you'll probably need a permit and there may be designated backcountry campsites in certain locations.
    http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisi...trypermits.htm
    The above link provides some details. If you go to Chessler park (one of the most scenic places around) be sure and hike the "Joint" trail section. Takes you through a narrow, brief, non-technical slot section. If you do any mtn. biking, there's a 4WD road that you can ride out to from the main Needles Office to an overlook of the river.
    Hiking trails in the Needles are very entertaining taking you through some outstanding scenery and over a lot of slickrock. You can wander off route on the slickrock and not get yelled at too much, but don't wander off trail in Chessler Park with a rangerette around!

Thank you very much the info helps a ton. We are only going to camp one night in the park, I know that dogs are no go on trails in the NP.