Thread: JEM and Icehouse

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar

JEM and Icehouse

The schedule said 8AM for JEM but I don't think we actually started until 9:30. Some of the boys just don't get moving until NOON! Yeah I am talking to you Molasses.

Here is a pic of us standing around waiting at the top of JEM

Pelon, theking, greyhairbiker, kent25

Name:  DSCF3015..jpg
Views: 338
Size:  56.9 KB

They made fun of me and my sexy striped socks. But the are wool and warm! Just you guys wait I am looking for a more obnoxious pair.

Name:  DSCF3016..jpg
Views: 339
Size:  115.0 KB

First flat!
    Name:  DSCF3018..jpg
Views: 341
Size:  109.4 KB

Name:  DSCF3020..jpg
Views: 353
Size:  74.7 KB

Bottom of JEM

Name:  DSCF3021..jpg
Views: 350
Size:  51.2 KB

Name:  DSCF3022..jpg
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  DSCF3024..jpg
Views: 346
Size:  64.2 KB

Loading the bikes up! We fit all of us in the truck and thekings car for the return trip to get the vehicles at the top of JEM.

Name:  DSCF3025..jpg
Views: 351
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  DSCF3023..jpg
Size:  73.0 KB

Icehouse

Even when the Molasses crew followed us up the hill to the Icehouse start we ended up waiting on them! They were there and then they were gone and they missed the turn off. Cell service was spotty at best up there and it was a bit before we could reach and get them turned around.

Name:  DSCF3026..jpg
Views: 333
Size:  73.3 KB

Name:  DSCF3027..jpg
Views: 345
Size:  103.7 KB

Name:  DSCF3028..jpg
Size:  41.2 KB

Name:  DSCF3029..jpg
Views: 332
Size:  77.3 KB

Name:  DSCF3030..jpg
Views: 364
Size:  139.1 KB

Name:  DSCF3033..jpg
Views: 355
Size:  115.1 KB

Name:  DSCF3031..jpg
Views: 329
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  DSCF3034..jpg
Size:  135.0 KB

Name:  DSCF3032..jpg
Views: 343
Size:  66.1 KB

In my opinion I would rather do JEM twice then Icehouse. The top of Icehouse was rocky as hell but fun and that last section was a challenge! I managed with out falling off my bike but it was just a bit over my head. However Wade had no problems with it. I arrived at that top of that last section did a head count realized we were missing one person and said where is Wade? They all pointed at the bottom and there was a speck. What did you ride that in 30 seconds flat!!!

Fun day!
    Chere'

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great pix Chere'! Thanks for sharing
    If you don't have anything nice to say....come and sit by me.

Dana & Thane @ Couchsurfing.org

If Ice house has rocks, it sounds like my kind of trail. Nice Pics

The top part you are rolling over volcanic rock here and there on the trail and that last section is just big rocks ya roll over. I went back and read the description from UMB

The final plunge off the mesa is steep. The surface varies with recent weather and trail maintenance. Two years ago, it was a highly techy endo-fest boulder pile. This time (2011) it was smooth, thanks to our local trail worker heroes. But it's around 15-20% slope. Not a good spot for beginners.
    "This time (2011) it was smooth" Sorry but that is not what I call smooth. Still it was fun. Definitely not for the weak of heart. I am sure you would be like Wade gone in 30 seconds!
    Chere'

That was brutal, but I likes a good challenge I do! It was definitely a real test for my new bike. I'll try to get time to edit video I took on JEM but it might be a little while....

I rode Broken mesa by myself in 2003. I parked at the water tank and pedalled the road up to the turn out. I didn't allow enough time for the road pedalling and therefore I came out in the dark. I would like to try it again when there is decent daylight. It looks like it was a bright sunny day when all of you rode it.

Glad I could come along for the JEM ride.

Nice meeting everyone I hadn't met before, definitely up for doing it again....maybe we can start on time the next time so I don't have to bail out "early"

Yeah that won't happen. But you can always hope. Nice to meet you Kent.
    Chere'

Walk in the park for Greyhair.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum