Thread: Another Bird, Looks Are Decieving

Another Bird, Looks Are Decieving

If you don't want to read my short story on this bird, feel free to scroll down to the four pics

Down here there are a good number of improved pastures and houses that sit on acreage. They are fenced with wood posts, three inch wire squared mesh and barbwire strewn along the very top. As you pass by these fences, every so often, something will catch your eye on the barbwire. Closer inspection, hips and legs of a frog, head of a frog, mole crickets, snakes... Yep, impaled on one of the tines of barbwire Just about poking through the carcass. I no no idea what in God's creation did such a thing. So, I asked a few friends down here. I was told it was a bird and that was about it.

So, being knew to Florida, I am interested in wildlife that is here. Some are the same we have back in Connecticut and some, very new to me. Saw the Caracaras down here and educated myself on them. Around here for the birdie population we have a few robins, then there are the ever abundant mockingbirds, cattlebirds, purple martins, mourning doves, yada, yada, yada. One bird, no idea. It has a black mask and just about the size of a robin. Very clean black, gray and white. Searched around the Net and found it to be a loggerhead shrike. Doing some reading, oh yea, he is the impaler

So, we have this good looking little bird with an attitude and one that can back it up. I guess the easiest way to explain this, is God screwed them. His little joke, so when He needs a chuckle, He just simply looks down at this bird and smiles It has a little hooked beak, just like a raptor. So, this is why this bird passes up bird feeders for living, breathing things. This bird is a hunter. But, here is the cruel part, it basically has birdie feet. You really can't call them talons and they lack the power needed to pin its prey to the ground and eat it. So, back in the olden days and being one of God's creation, this little guy improvised. It impaled its prey on thorns. As humans began clearing lands and creating pastures for their livestock, the loggerhead had to improvise once again. Barbwire was abundant and made the perfect replacement from the thorn bushes that were mowed over to make these improved pastures.

I also have observed, mockingbirds are highly territorial. If mourning doves, blackbirds, or any other bird enters their space...they spend all day chasing them off. All day long they run birds off the feeder. I did notice when a loggerhead say lands on the same tree the bird feeder is next to, no mocking bird attacks on anything around the feeder. As soon as the loggerhead moves on, the dive bombing mockingbirds are on the attack. The loggerhead is on top of the pecking order of birds of its size and a little bit bigger. In two of these shots was something I didn't expect to see. A bird impaled and eaten on barbwire. The fence meets at a 90 degree and a series of barbwire is anchored in the corner. My only explanation was a fight between the loggerhead and this bird. The loggerhead brought the fight into this series of barbwire and did its thing.

Enjoy
    Such a pretty little bird

With the mole cricket

The beaten opponent

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yep, Shrikes are the only passerine (song birds) that are predators. They have a nick name..."Butcher Birds"

I was once hiking in the desert of southern California in Anza Borego State Park and doing some birding at the same time. I noticed a sparrow come flying out of a nearby bush. Then another, and another. After a dozen or so of these hasty departures, out pops a Loggerhead Shrike. I guess when a Shrike comes to your home you don't stick around!

BTW, Loggerhead Shrikes are year-round residents in Utah too. Back in CT, JP, there was the very similar Northern Shrike, but only in the winter.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

I never saw one nor learned about those in school, I'll have to look that one up. Here was a snake

Have you seen an Anhinga yet? They are really fun to watch how they catch and eat a fish. Locals might call them "Water Turkeys", but that name doesn't do them justice. They also have 'tude. As far as just plain showy and beautiful you can't beat the Purple Gallinule. A good shot in good lighting is worth working for on that bird.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Nope, I'll check on that one as well, later on tonight. I've seen the Balds and Ospreys doing their water thing. I'll see if I can find the osprey I saw hitting the pond next door.

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    Have you seen an Anhinga yet?
    Looks like the cormorant, I see quite a few variations of those down here. I'll keep my eye out for that particular one.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    A little guy with some serious attitude! I like the ingenuity.
    Chere'

Anhinga's are kinda similar to cormorants, but they have a very different hunting style. They swim under water with their neck folded up. Then they jab their long pointed bill right through the body of a fish and emerge from the water with a fish sticking on their face! Now the problem is how do you swallow a fish impaled on your face? The whole process is very entertaining (if you're not a fish).

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    A little guy with some serious attitude! I like the ingenuity.
    Yep, one angry, smart little guy

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    (if you're not a fish).

I have some backwater areas around here and the cormorant type birds are there most of the time. I'll have to give those areas a harder look. Thanks