Thread: Baptist/Chute?

Baptist/Chute?

I've heard some scuttlebut that Baptist and Chute might now be in bad shape due to a recent flood - wood, mud and such. Maybe this is hashed out elsewhere, and if so my apologies. But can anyone provide an update?

dogalot

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Over 60 views and no info? Someone has to have been in there lately!!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dogalot View Post
    Parts of the canyon, meaning The Chute, have the potential to hold water. Some people go in there expecting it to be dry, and are shocked (shocked I say) to discover pools of murky water, with pine needles and mouse poop floating on them, that they have to swim in order to get out. Then they say it is in "bad shape". I have heard people go up canyon, then turn around and go downcanyon, back and forth, to avoid swimming. Swimming in icky water is part of canyoneering.

Canyons change all the time. Winter, especially, changes canyons a lot. This is pretty early to do Baptist Draw, and I would expect to find swimming in it. I certainly would bring a wetsuit, because swimming this time of year is cold cold cold.

The anchors in Baptist draw change a lot, because the rock is really, really soft. As in all wilderness ventures, you should be prepared to figure out new anchors when you arrive there. Bolts work especially poorly in this super-soft rock, so forgetaboutit as far as bolts go.

Enjoy.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by dogalot View Post
    'Parently not.

See Tom's excellent advice...
    Last edited by Brian in SLC; 03-18-2011 at 08:36 AM. Reason: f'n spelt xcellent wrong...

The Baptist trailhead is at 6750' of elevation. Probably still snow and lots of mud.... go do something else for anther month.

Thanks guys, the input is appreciated. I did this two years ago in late March and it was warm and dry. Lucky I guess.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Parts of the canyon, meaning The Chute, have the potential to hold water. Some people go in there expecting it to be dry, and are shocked (shocked I say) to discover pools of murky water, with pine needles and mouse poop floating on them, that they have to swim in order to get out. Then they say it is in "bad shape". I have heard people go up canyon, then turn around and go downcanyon, back and forth, to avoid swimming. Swimming in icky water is part of canyoneering.

Canyons change all the time. Winter, especially, changes canyons a lot. This is pretty early to do Baptist Draw, and I would expect to find swimming in it. I certainly would bring a wetsuit, because swimming this time of year is cold cold cold.

The anchors in Baptist draw change a lot, because the rock is really, really soft. As in all wilderness ventures, you should be prepared to figure out new anchors when you arrive there. Bolts work especially poorly in this super-soft rock, so forgetaboutit as far as bolts go.

Enjoy.

Tom
    maybe I misunderstood this post on the canyons group. wasn't there a log job that formed in Baptist upper chute loop route.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/message/57959

would exiting down canyon have the log jams?

agree with swimming in icky water is part of canyoneering.

Chute is probably one of the "fluid" canyons on the Colorado Plateau. I've done the canyon when you didn't need a rope after the Baptist/Chute junction and I've done it when you have a couple of short rappels. I've done the canyon and never got my feet wet and I've been swimming. I've done the canyon when its been clean as your colon on the morning of your Colonoscopy and I've done the canyon when you are doing serious climbing over log and debris jams. The only thing that appears to remain constannt is if there is water in the canyon it will be putrid. What is there one week will probably not be there the next. YMMV

And this is an interesting read:

No Way Out! Turn Back!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TNugent View Post
    3/19 down baptist, up chute. Dry
    Welcome to the Bogley, Ted. What did ya find to shoot down there?

dogalot, did you end up doing this one?

Steve L.

Unfortunately no.