Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: June 17-19th 2011 Zion Bogleyfest

June 17-19th 2011 Zion Bogleyfest

Just thinking ahead, is there a plan for a November 2011 Bogleyfest like there was in Moab 2009?

(I note the various 2010 Fruita posts here and here but I did not see the great trip reports as there were from the 2009 Moab trip.

I know that Iceaxe suggests: "A Bogley fest only requires someone to step up and start organizing" but I am not knowledgeable enough of the requirements to start up such a thing. I also know Moab Mark and others did a lot of work in preparation for the 2009 'fest.

Is there a possibility of another one?

All the best from England,

Rob

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Someone mentioned there may be a June fest too, but i can't find any posts or info on it here. Am I missing something?

Bogley BigShot
    June is often done in Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    Yes. We've typically done the bogleyfest in june or july. Lots of fun. As the time gets near we'll start to set it up.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

I wouldn't mind another Moab Bogleyfest this year......it was fun meeting some of you in 2009 :)
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

That sounds like a lot of fun...would Hanksville be a fun place for it? Or is this an all relaxation event?

Quote Originally Posted by Reverso View Post
    would Hanksville be a fun place for it? Or is this an all relaxation event?
    Someone just needs to step-up and take a turn in the barrel.

I believe the very first Bogley-fest was a 2007 one-day trip to the Black Hole.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?26119

It was a lot of fun.

Last year Kev got us all planning a Zion fest for late May all the way back in the preceding Nov. I've been talking with a few folks about organizing a June trip for this year and it looks like the weekend of June 18/19 works well. The only trouble is that Watchman is basically full already so we'd need a different place for a group BBQ. The year before we did one at a house in Springdale but I don't know who's it was.

I like the mid-June dates best because school is out for my son and we're less likely to be skunked on canyons and hikes due to high CFS flow in the rivers. I will probably drive out this year and stay for longer, i.e. a few days before and/or past the weekend.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    It is not as nice a location as Springdale but I am willing to volunteer my place for the BBQ if you like. Just bought a brand new awesome fire pit/grill. Should be able to feed an army with this thing.
    Chere'

Nice to have Chalet de Cher
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    The year before we did one at a house in Springdale but I don't know who's it was.
    Jonathan Zambellas (ZAC Owner) set up by Tom I believe?

would Hanksville be a fun place for it?
    Not in June and July. Even May can get really hot there. If it were in Hanksville, the latest it would typically be comfortable would be early May. If someone wanted to throw a quick one together for April, it may work.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I'm looking forward to Zion and maybe seeing Chalet de Cher

Or, it seems like I was talking to someone about Labor Day in Moab...?

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    and

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc
    Yes. We've typically done the bogleyfest in june or july. Lots of fun. As the time gets near we'll start to set it up.
    June & July I'm in Ohio and Wisconsin respectively, both long trips from the UK, and I can't do another long trip in the heat !!

That's one of the reasons I enjoyed my 2008 and 2009 Moab trips in November; at a more weather-tolerant time of year.

Ho-hum.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    Jonathan Zambellas (ZAC Owner) set up by Tom I believe?
    Yes, we did. Not like there were problems, but it would be best to come up with another place.

Did you try the Group Sites at Watchman? That would be a good place.

Good to set a date early, so you can get things like that, and so people can plan the dates.

T

Yes we should have started this earlier, Tom. But I'm going to try to "take a turn in the barrel" as ice says and see if we can still pull this off now.

OK, the proposed date right now is the weekend of June 18&19. Here's what I see as available for a group get together:

Group site in Watchman: only available on Sunday 6/19 (two sites still available)
    Individual sites in Watchman: a 5 sites each in loops C and D but also only on Sunday pretty much only for that one night as well.

I know Saturday is probably the preferred choice for a group meal, but maybe Sunday would be acceptable? Another idea floated is trying to grab first-come first-served sites at Gooseberry Mesa.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    What about the two public parks in Springdale for a group dinner? I can call tomorrow and see if either are available for reservation that Sat. There is the one behind the town hall and the one by the river.
    Chere'

Sounds worth checking out. Thanks!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    What about the two public parks in Springdale for a group dinner? I can call tomorrow and see if either are available for reservation that Sat. There is the one behind the town hall and the one by the river.
    No alcohol at the town parks. Would kinda put a damper on things.

T