Thread: Zion, Red Cliffs, Coral Pink and Sand Dune Arch

Zion, Red Cliffs, Coral Pink and Sand Dune Arch

Thank goodness for Spring Break and 70 + degree weather!!!

Went to Zion with some family from Canada. There was still a ton of ice anywhere above the main canyon floor. We were attempting hidden canyon but were not prepared for ice. Instead we ended up doing the river walk at Temple of S. and then shelf canyon (?) on the east side. Once the normally dry but currently flowing with water slotted up we took of the shoes and waded/ran in the ankle deep freezing water as far as our feet could handle it.
    Name:  slot..jpg
Views: 9476
Size:  89.4 KB

Name:  garrett..jpg
Views: 9384
Size:  109.7 KB

Name:  Big Bend..jpg
Views: 8916
Size:  67.7 KB

Name:  waterfall..jpg
Views: 9012
Size:  198.3 KB

Next on to Red Cliffs Recreation Area. I love this place, unfortunately with amazing weather and Spring Break so did a few too many others in S. Utah :) It was pretty crowded!

Name:  redcliffs1..jpg
Views: 13229
Size:  55.3 KB

Name:  waterfall2a..jpg
Views: 13747
Size:  60.7 KB

A couple days later with my mom, brother and daughter we took a loop to Coral Pink State Park and C.P. Sand Dune arch. I cant believe I have lived in Hurricane for most of my life and never been to C. Pink! It was amazing and I for sure will be heading back.

Name:  IMG_5623..jpg
Views: 8665
Size:  37.9 KB

Name:  IMG_5619..jpg
Views: 8535
Size:  35.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5651..jpg
Views: 8519
Size:  24.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5645..jpg
Views: 8393
Size:  25.8 KB

Name:  arch..jpg
Views: 8558
Size:  91.5 KB

Name:  dune..jpg
Views: 8640
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5660..jpg
Views: 8466
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  IMG_5681..jpg
Views: 1578
Size:  74.7 KB

2. Likes DiscGo liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Your girl is adorable.
    Chere'

GREAT report! I love the Street Fighter kick photo.

Go get 'em Ryu or Ken...

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    GREAT report! I love the Street Fighter kick photo.

Go get 'em Ryu or Ken...
    Haiuken! I still like the American who threw the sonic boom best!

Cool pics Matt. Hey I've got a question about Red Cliffs, I took my family there for a very quick visit last November. Is that pool and little waterfall found by just following the little stream Eastward from the picnic areas? How would it be for kids? I assume we would have to get wet/walk up the stream a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Cool pics Matt. Hey I've got a question about Red Cliffs, I took my family there for a very quick visit last November. Is that pool and little waterfall found by just following the little stream Eastward from the picnic areas? How would it be for kids? I assume we would have to get wet/walk up the stream a bit?
    It's very easy. I took my son when he was 3 up there no prob. There are some nice places to swim up there too.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    It's very easy & super kid friendly. I was ther in January and we didn't have to get wet at all. I'm sure when it's warmer you want to wade though.

cool, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to be prepared for water either though, huh? And am I correct that you just follow the stream up?

Sorry I am in Puerto Rico! Hiked in El Yunque National Rainforest today it was AWESOME!!! I will post some pics when I get back. To hike to the waterfalls and pools is super easy and kids love it! The first pool is deep enough you can even do some cliff jumping...ok not cliff but jumping off the foot ledge (depending on time of the year) . Right now the water was running high enough to get to the second fall you had to wade a little bit. It wasnt hard or fast just enough water to fill the canyon. Really you could have scrambled up and around but....They are both easy to find. You could hike up the stream but there is a designated trail near the stream (red reef trail according to the sign). The second waterfall with the steps carved into the side of the cliff might be a little intimidating for a kid! I was too afraid to do it when I was young but I was mildly a wuss.

Quote Originally Posted by mattandersao View Post
    Haiuken! I still like the American who threw the sonic boom best!
    Yep, that's Guile. He is one of my favs too.

Name:  street_fighter_4&#9.jpg
Views: 1484
Size:  140.9 KB

Great trip report!
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5