Thread: North Wash 3/12/2011 to 3/14/2011

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

North Wash 3/12/2011 to 3/14/2011

I was down in North Wash this last weekend with Ram, Jenny, Doc Science, Tom W and a few others. Here are the conditions we found:

Sat 3/12: Marinus Arch and Canyon: generally dry. No one went in the big pothole, but the pool at the bottom required one person to swim. Two did. Further down, one other swim I think.

Sun 3/12: the gang went to Long Canyon (into White Cyn) and found it generally dry. One mandatory swimmer near the end, but all other water could be avoided by Rimaneering. I did Blue Notch Canyon (into White Cyn) and it was dry.

Mon 3/12: we did Pothoez and the Potholes had water in them. Two swimmers, I think, on the day. The road past Danish Knoll is pretty messed up - fully capable vehicle required.

Daytime temperatures were almost too warm. The PG-slot stuff in Pothoez was pleasant in the shade and too hot in the sun, wearing pads, tshirt and shorts. Switched to the full wetsuit for the final rapping section, and it was just right.

Tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Sun 3/12: I did Blue Notch Canyon (into White Cyn) and it was dry.

Don't mean to be a jerk...but Blue Notch Canyon does not drain into White Canyon--it drains directly into Lake Powell. Blue Notch Canyon is about 9 miles long--if you really were in Blue Notch, what part were you in that had narrows? If you weren't in Blue Notch, then what canyon were you in? I'm pretty curious. A weak photo taken by me of Blue Notch Canyon (viewed from the Notch itself) is posted on what is now the last page of the Where IS IT thread.
    The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right. (Mark Twain)

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Kid View Post
    Don't mean to be a jerk...but Blue Notch Canyon does not drain into White Canyon--it drains directly into Lake Powell. Blue Notch Canyon is about 9 miles long--if you really were in Blue Notch, what part were you in that had narrows? If you weren't in Blue Notch, then what canyon were you in? I'm pretty curious. A weak photo taken by me of Blue Notch Canyon (viewed from the Notch itself) is posted on what is now the last page of the Where IS IT thread.
    I was in the canyon that drains north from Blue Notch, into White Canyon. It is not much of a canyon. Sorry for the confusion.

Tom