Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conditions in High Spur

Conditions in High Spur

High Spur was in great shape saturday 3.12.2011. water was only ankle deep and only in a very few spots. Webbing was in great shape. Did not need to install new anchors. High Spur is a great canyon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Counting down the days. Mid April!!!!

AWesome!!!! Headin down there this weekend. Hope to come back with some good pics

Just curious... what does this section look like now?

The reason I ask is apparently this drop has a tendency to appear and disappear. It's where a drainage enters from the south and from my experience it sometimes digs a hole (as shown in the pic above) and sometimes fills in with sand. It also is filled with water sometimes and sometimes not... anyhoo... just trying to get a better feel for the canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Just curious... what does this section look like now?
    When we were down there 2/19 it looked almost exactly like your picture.
    But the pile of sand was maybe a little higher at the bottom.

Just did High Spur on Saturday and never saw that spot

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    When we were down there 2/19 it looked almost exactly like your picture. But the pile of sand was maybe a little higher at the bottom.
    Quote Originally Posted by remoteman45 View Post

This is one of two known "problem areas" that can trap hikers. The other problem area is above "The Circle". As per the Roost Conditions thread, this is why I advises hikers against attempting this route.

Quote Originally Posted by remoteman45 View Post
    Wow...you didn't see that spot? The canyon has definitely changed a little. It is always been waist deep water for me. Glad you had fun!!! Did you hike around or did you leave a car at the exit point? What a hike back it is...

That spot was there Tuesday 3/15. The puddle was sizable, but you could skirt it with just getting your feet a little muddy, not wet.

How does it trap hikers? In our group of four, two of us just slithered into the hole, facing downcanyon, until we slipped and slid into the soft sand. Then we partner-assisted the other two. We had gear, but decided this approach was more expedient.

If it wasn't there Saturday...then it must have actually rained Thursday night, and therefore I'm glad we bailed when we did!

That spot had a small pool that was easily walked around. Looked like a pile of sand next to the pool but was actually a pile of snow with wind blown sand on covering it.

The spot had a bit more water on Saturday 3/26/11. The talented could stay on the left wall LDC, and only get wet to about mid-calf. Others went up to about mid-thigh... (If I'm remembering correctly. No guarantees. ;)

I just went through High Spur on 10.01.2011. The photo above was a downclimb, and maybe 8-12 feet tall (from memory). Just wanted to add that High Spur is currently not a dry canyon, and not even close. The section following the potholes and the 1 foot wide window has water, and LOTS of it. My approximation was 100 yards of water with 80% of that swimming (I'm 6'3" for height reference). The water was from about 50 feet after the window, to the rockfall cavern area. There had not been any rain in the Roost for at least one week prior to my visit. Be prepared for the long, cold, and incredibly beautiful swim.

Dang.... I would love to see the photo, but you can't post photo's or attachments until you have 5 posts on bogley. Which is a safe guard forced on us by the spammers.

Went through on 10.13.2011, the water starts at the window. One couple I talked to went through unprepared and came out way past dark, and very shaken due to the water and cold.

We encountered a couple on 10-16 that had been through the previous day. They reported the last section being a full swim for over 200 yards, sending them into near hypothermia. We did a speed run down to the first drop around dusk and it was completely dry but not filled in. Amazing how that place changes.
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by obscyre View Post
    I just went through High Spur on 10.01.2011. The photo above was a downclimb, and maybe 8-12 feet tall (from memory). Just wanted to add that High Spur is currently not a dry canyon, and not even close. The section following the potholes and the 1 foot wide window has water, and LOTS of it. My approximation was 100 yards of water with 80% of that swimming (I'm 6'3" for height reference). The water was from about 50 feet after the window, to the rockfall cavern area. There had not been any rain in the Roost for at least one week prior to my visit. Be prepared for the long, cold, and incredibly beautiful swim.

Here are a couple of Obscyre's pictures from 10-1-11. I'm posting them as he couldn't because he doesn't have 5 posts yet.

Name:  PA014534..jpg
Views: 612
Size:  30.4 KB

Name:  PA014516..jpg
Views: 597
Size:  54.5 KB

Interesting reports. Planning on doing my third descent of High Spur on Halloween day. However, we won't be bringing wetsuits, so the last section would be a no go for us as it stands. I am hoping some of the more wise and experienced members on this board might be able to give me some help.

I know that this canyon in particular changes all the time. My main question is if anyone knows roughly how fast that section of High Spur drains. Looks so far like the only weather since that section flooded will be a 20% chance of rain on Wednesday. Seems like that would be plenty of time to drain, but I am not going to assume anything.

Secondly, can someone help with some beta on exits out of the canyon? Kelsey mentions an exit that is between the first drop pictured above and the corkscrew section. Can anyone pinpoint that for me and speak to its difficulty? Also, I am assuming there are no exits past that. From my experience, once you drop into that pothole after the window, you are committed to the rest of the canyon. Would you all agree?

Finally, we are also planning our first descents down NW Big Springs and maybe the other two forks. Anyone have experience with those canyons holding a lot of water?

Sorry for all the questions, but you guys are one my best resources and I am glad that this community exists.

The key to survival is preparation.

Thank you.

Peter Jans

peterjans.com - Photos of canyons and much more!

Peter,

You are correct in NOT assuming this canyon would drain in five days. Be prepared for water regardless of what the weather does this week. The lower canyon was full and wet two full weeks after the last storm when we were in it 9 days ago. If the first pool beneath the first rap/down climb stays dry, I would think it possible for a group with a bit of talent to retreat with some teamwork. As I remember, the drop is maybe 10-12 feet with a ledge? You could leave a rope for a pretty easy jug out.

In case you didn't see my post last week, I am looking for a Sand Trap/ Maxxi Pad anchor that was dropped in Big Spring NW fork 9 days ago. I would greatly appreciate you keeping an eye out for it! When we went through, Big Spring had one waist deep pool, the rest was ankle or calf deep and usually avoidable. Hope that helps.

Dean
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

Yeah, I am thinking we will hike to the first drop and see what it looks like. I've batmaned that drop before, so I am thinking it should be no problem with an ascender and some prusiks.

Thanks for the Big Springs beta, looking forward to that one. I did see your post earlier and will certainly look out for your Sand Trap.

If anyone hits any of these canyons this week, an update would be much appreciated.

I'll be sure to give an update when I return.

Cheers

There is an exit just before the corkscrew and one just past the fallen boulder just before the final rap. It is just as easy and faster to go back up the canyon.