Thread: 3/12 - TR - Keyhole and Zion

Blog Entries

3/12 - TR - Keyhole and Zion

Was planning on doing the subway yesterday but we decided not to due to 2ft of snow at the Wildcat Trailhead still! There was a group of 8 in our party and we all had drysuits - but we didnt want to hike a mile to the wildcat trailhead in the snow...plus having 8 in our group would of meant a long day just for the subway...

I would imagine the Wildcat trailhead won't open for at least another 2 weeks minimum. But man, there is sooo much water up there! People were still snowmobiling as we were hiking up to the trailhead. Kinda crazy...

We hit up Keyhole and it was so much fun! Keyhole was flowing very nicely and only ran into ice at one section but other than that it was ice and snow free. There was some swimmers that were easily above your head...very happy we had dry suits.

We had a permit for Pinecreek but decided against due to our large group and our 1:30 start for it. Near the tunnel we ran into 4 ZAC employees and said with just the 4 of them it took 5 1/2 hours to do. The flow and coldness of the water greatly slowed them down they said.

We drove around the park after that and checked out Menu Falls, Temple of Sinawava and Emerald Pools and there were waterfalls galore! Heaps was flowing like crazy, Weeping Rock had a good size waterfall, and right at Sinawava there was a GIANT waterfall with lots of snow at the base. Very unique. I've been to Zion in the spring before but haven't seen it quite like this!

Later that night we drove to Gunlock SP and checked out the waterfalls and they were raging! It was so good to be back an see the waterfalls again! Soo cool. We'll be back in April and we are planning on rappelling some of the falls there. Very picturesque!

Oh btw, Mosquito Cove, as of yesterday, is closed indefinitely due the floods back in January. The rangers in the park said that the latest word is that there are no plans to reopen it later this year. So for all you planning on camping down there - count on it being closed. And there is a nice big lock and chain to keep you out. The flood damage was extensive to that campsite...

And pics coming later tonight or tomorrow!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Would like to see that some day.

Blog Entries
    here's just a handful of pics
    Attached Images Attached Images               
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Crazy canyoneers! That is too cold.
    Chere'

Great report jman!

What's with the prison jumpsuits.

Bogley BigShot
    Great photos! That looks like milk in that slot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    Great photos! That looks like milk in that slot.
    pretty much...It was weird. It wasn't brown but white.

I have more pictures I will upload later tonight that have better water shots...

BTW, I forgot to mention at the Keyhole entrance (upper slot) section, there is a rotting deer carcass. We moved it out of way of the stream, but the next major storm will probably move it back into the slot however.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Bogley BigShot
    I hope ranger remove that! There was a dead horse on the Canaan Mountain Trail that was there for so long. It smelled so bad! Oh the stuff we swim in!!!!!

Looking forward to the photos!

Looks like it's warmed up a bit since we there on 1/1/11.
    Name:  P1010085..jpg
Views: 691
Size:  145.4 KBName:  P1010047..jpg
Views: 756
Size:  80.0 KB