Thread: Satellite Phones Affordable?

Satellite Phones Affordable?

Interesting look at it. Not bad if you are out in the wild often.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2011/0...heeper-iphone/

Satellite Phone cheeper then your iphone?

By Tim Konrad

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That is a pretty sweet deal. Thanks for posting it.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

anyone know how much battery life to expect ? will it hold a charge for 2-3 weeks if only turned on and used a few minutes a day ?
    signature

I say we all chip in and get Carpey Bigs one as a small thank you for the amazing footage he provides us.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by goofball View Post
    anyone know how much battery life to expect ? will it hold a charge for 2-3 weeks if only turned on and used a few minutes a day ?
    they are supposed to have a 7-14 hour standby time so I would assume if the battery was good and the phone was off it would last that long easy.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

too bad they are globalstar phones... there's a reason they are so affordable. until globalstar can fix their issues with duplex communications, they will be considered somewhat unreliable.

Has anyone actually tried Globalstar in the last year since they put up new satellites? I know it's been bad in the past, but wondering if they are getting better?

as far as i know, the second generation satellites haven't been launched yet. or maybe just barely if they have. i don't think reliability will increase until they can get a large fleet up there. i think they only have 4 birds in their first launch, if it's even happened yet.

Bummer, would be a great deal for voice and data if it was usable. Used one in N Idaho a few years ago and it basically didn't work.

Their service is getting a bad rap. I have one of these phones and yes sometimes you have to wait a few minutes or even ten to get service but I have never not been able to make a call. Used it several times out in the Roost last week and had no problemo. I hope they never fix the service and do not go bankrupt. I get dirt cheap sat service and am able to make calls when necessary.