Thread: White Pocket ...how to get there

White Pocket ...how to get there

Came across all those beautiful pictures of the White Pocket Area...now on my must see list...only problem... although I own a 4x4 I don't gave the accessories nor experience to drive there myself.

Are there local photography tours or outfitters that will take people in ? Hoping for a visit during May 2011... preferrably overnight to capture sunrise and sunset shots.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hi,

I don't know if it's against forum rules to post details on commercial tour providers, if so, please delete my post.

Check out Steve Dodson at Paria Outpost.

Arindam

Steve is a good adress.
    He's a peaceful and very friendly guy with an pretty good knowledge about this area.

Another vote for Steve!
    We've done a tour to Coyote Buttes South and White Pocket with him and it was great!
    Steve is really a nice guy.

Have you driven in soft sand before? Also, if you don't mind a little hike; you can drive fairly close and camp for the evening. The sandiest spots were right towards the end of the trail to White Pocket. The rangers should have that area "dialed" in by that time of year with conditions, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lofty View Post
    Came across all those beautiful pictures of the White Pocket Area...now on my must see list...only problem... although I own a 4x4 I don't gave the accessories nor experience to drive there myself.

Are there local photography tours or outfitters that will take people in ? Hoping for a visit during May 2011... preferrably overnight to capture sunrise and sunset shots.

Nope... have not driven in soft sand before...hence my worries...nor do I have the equipment to get myself out of a sandpit. I'm quite prepared to backpack from where the roads gets too sandy and carrying heavy loads isn't a problem... rather do that than risk getting stuck :)

Hike it is...You will have a wonderful time! It will be a nice hike!

You should do that - lofty.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    Another vote for Steve!
    We've done a tour to Coyote Buttes South and White Pocket with him and it was great!

and another one for Steve.
    Met the guy a couple of times while camping at the White Pocket. Had always nice chats with him.
    Can highly recommend his tour.

I would never recommend to drive to White Pocket without any driving experience in soft sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    Another vote for Steve!
    Another vote for Steve and Suzan (Paria Outpost).

I know them since the opening year of the Paria Outpost (1998 or 1999 I guess) and they are really nice people. I've sent them many french friends and people asking me advices on french forums for their tour to Coyote Buttes South and White Pocket and all of them report me that they did apreciate this tour and Steve & Suzan.

Philippe

Just back from a trip to SCB and White Pockets with the Paria Outpost, Kirk was our guide. Amazing place and very well coordinated tour.

Hi arindam
    waiting for pics...plz

Phillipe,

I chatted with Susan quite a bit and she did mention that you were there since their first year and how you helped them with establishing their business.

arindam

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
    Another vote for Steve and Suzan (Paria Outpost).

I know them since the opening year of the Paria Outpost (1998 or 1999 I guess) and they are really nice people. I've sent them many french friends and people asking me advices on french forums for their tour to Coyote Buttes South and White Pocket and all of them report me that they did apreciate this tour and Steve & Suzan.

Philippe

Mikhel,

I shoot in RAW and unfortunately, I haven't even started processing the pictures. Usually, I wait about a couple of weeks before starting to process them.

Arindam

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    Hi arindam
    waiting for pics...plz

arindam,

no problem, that's ok.

Michel

Hi Arindam,

Phillipe, I chatted with Susan quite a bit and she did mention that you were there since their first year and how you helped them with establishing their business.
    Thank you for telling Suzan's words.

I did (and I still do) my best to help these nice people and I was happy to do that !

Philippe

I would love to hear more about it - with or without pictures. We are heading out there in 10 days and planning on going to Coyote Buttes South - and White Pocket. Can you tell me about the trip and how long you were out there?

Bobuddy,

Ideally, you would like to be in SCB (the Cottonwood area) for sunrise and at White Pockets at sunset for a one day tour. But that would be a long day and you would probably shoot nothing for a good couple of hours or more in midday. But still it's doable if you are driving on your own. I went on a guided trip with the Paria Outpost and they offered a sunrise tour (meaning, you start at sunrise at SCB and finish at White Pockets well before sunset) or a sunset tour (start at SCB later in the day and finish with a sunset shoot at White Pockets). I chose the latter option (started around from 9 am and came back around 9 pm). Of note, the Paw Hole area at SCB is skipped over during this trip (just a couple of roadside snapshots). If you would like a guided tour and the *ideal* option as I mentioned in the beginning, feel free to pm me and I would let you know of an outfitter which offers such tours.

Arindam

Quote Originally Posted by Bobuddy View Post
    I would love to hear more about it - with or without pictures. We are heading out there in 10 days and planning on going to Coyote Buttes South - and White Pocket. Can you tell me about the trip and how long you were out there?
    We did both places last year on our own. Paw Hole the 1st day, which gave me a feel for driving the sand in our Tahoe. White Pocket the next day.
    A little bit of moisture made HRV rd slick, but firmed the sand up on the ride to WP. No issues. Both places are easy to spend a day hiking, exploring and shooting landscapes and textures. These places are other worldly. We plan on doing Cottonwood Cove and WP again in 3 weeks, soon as the ski area closes here in the Boat. We definitely will spend the night to get the PM and AM light.