Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your LEAST favorite bike trail?

Your LEAST favorite bike trail?

What is your least favorite mountain bike trail(s), you know, the one you hate riding so much you'd rather keep the bike hung up in the garage than go out with the crew?

Or maybe you just think they are overrated, talked and raved about way too much.

I'll start off with Antelope Island's White Rock Bay Loop. It gets some attention because it's almost ridable year 'round, but other than that I don't think too much of it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bunchgrass Trail
    (White Pine Lake)
    Logan Canyon

The loose rocks and goat heads in the first three miles make this
    trail my least favorite trail.
    IF she isn't happy no ones happy. If she isn't happy long enough you'll unhappy with half your stuff.
    http://childbikingutah.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by StudChild View Post
    Bunchgrass Trail
    (White Pine Lake)
    Logan Canyon

Oh I forgot about that one I took video but never felt like producing it. White Pine Lake itself was cool, I just had a bad experience alone with a huge backpack on.

Not because it sucks, but because I suck.

Zen trail. It's still way above my skill level and I have to walk down a bunch of spots. So every time I'm filled with a sense of dread that I'm gonna die. Hopefully this summer is the one I master it.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Not a big fan of Zen either, but it doesn't get nearly as much as hype as the BOOOOOORING trail system at Gooseberry!

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Zen trail.
    You know, now that I've done it a couple of times, it's not on my favorites list anymore. The climb (hike) up to the top sucked on that double track road.

Coming down, if you've got a downhill bike, is pretty sweet though. It just sucks huffing that thing up there.

I do not like wheeler canyon. If it wasnt for icebox I would never ride it.

I do like Zen trail, all the technical stuff is humbling though. The downhill is way fun!

White rock is bad huh? Its all sandy and not much fun either. But if you head up to the split rock trail and Elephant head it gets better a little better.

I had a good time on Gooseberry but It does get a ton of hype.
    Still trying to get in riding shape.

Gooseberry may be overated, but it does offer a wide variety of terrain and trees. The cool thing about it is that it is a mesa and relatively flat. ( No puke hill climbs here ) I only like the South rim trail to the point and the hidden canyon portion. The rest of the mesa is too boring for me. Ditto to Sombeech's feelings about the Zen trail. The worst trail that I rode and I refuse to ride again is in Southern Utah. The red mountain overlook trail. There are a lot of trails in the Moab area that kick my butt everytime, but I enjoy the social aspect of talking with other riders or watching the jeeps. Behind the rocks trail in Moab is one trail that I would pass on unless I was on a dirtbike.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Broken Mesa
    There's a new trail right off of Broken Mesa that it supposed to be awesome - Icehouse. Looking forward to giving that one a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent K25 View Post
    There's a new trail right off of Broken Mesa that it supposed to be awesome - Icehouse. Looking forward to giving that one a go.
    After a closer look at some Icehouse videos it looks like the singletrack isn't that well packed, a little patchy in some areas. I was thinking about hitting it this time down in St George but now I'm not sure:

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I wasn't a fan of Guacamole. I like Zen, however it has left a wicked memory on my leg that won't go away. It still hurts and it has been over a year. I agree with Ryan, Wheeler not my favorite but Ice Box on the other hand LOVE IT! Sure is gorgeous weather down here!!
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    After a closer look at some Icehouse videos it looks like the singletrack isn't that well packed, a little patchy in some areas. I was thinking about hitting it this time down in St George but now I'm not sure.
    I see what you're saying from the video, but all I've heard are positive things about it. Hoping to get out and ride it on Weds or Thurs if I can convince my pops to shuttle it with me. I imagine with all the attention it's getting on mtbr and umb that the trail is only better since these vids.

After a closer look at some Icehouse videos it looks like the singletrack isn't that well packed, a little patchy in some areas. I was thinking about hitting it this time down in St George but now I'm not sure:
    You guys should definitely hit up icehouse trail when you come down. Before the junction with broken mesa, it's pretty good. If ya want some company, I'd be free thursday...but only if you guys shuttle it.

I was really disappointed with the Pipeline. Rattlesnake gulch was cool but I found the rest of the ride to be pretty boring. In my opinion, the Pipeline is way over rated.
    How can you have your non-dairy pudding substitute if you don't eat your wok-braised tofu?

I'm not a big fan of anywhere I have to hikeabike up just to hit a little downhill, for that the first part of BST to get up to Bobsled isnt so fun but Bobsled makes up for that but I LOVE Wasatch Crest despite the Puke Hill part. Also, don't like the first climbs at Solitude but once you get up there bombing down is fun. I don't really have a trail I completely didnt like - the closest one being the one on Corner Cnyn that I wrecked & became bionic(eventually). It was FULL of chest - high weeds and growth & my hayfever was peaking just about the time I lost it on a descent and, well, the rest is history. I like anything that has some technical aspect to it. However, I hate a trail that is full of babyheads & thorns.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Broken Mesa
    X2 I don't care how great some new addition is supposed to be, I will never ride a bike on that trail again

Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal View Post
    X2 I don't care how great some new addition is supposed to be, I will never ride a bike on that trail again
    No one recommended that trail...recommended a new one. The one lots of people who don't like Broken Mesa have fallen in love with.

Quote Originally Posted by StudChild View Post
    Bunchgrass Trail
    (White Pine Lake)
    Logan Canyon

Really?? I love this trail! I have never run into goat heads on the initial climb out of Tony Grove. There is some loose rock, but not really that bad in my opinion. Decent but not to strenuous climb, bomber downhill with some decent techy spots, one sketchy little surfing section, some stream crossings and warp speed smooth singletrack. I would understand if this is not your favorite trail, but I can't imagine it is the worst trail you've ever ridden......To each their own. The worst part for me is the two short hike-a-bike sections on the lower singletrack and those weren't even mentioned.

Worst trail for me is the Deer Fence in Logan. The only time I will ever ride that is early spring because it is the only option.

Oh I forgot about that one I took video but never felt like producing it. White Pine Lake itself was cool, I just had a bad experience alone with a huge backpack on.
    Yeah, you missed that critical turn if I remember correctly and that makes it not nearly as fun. The large backpack doesn't help either.....Looks like we will have to have a Bogley party at Tony Grove and ride some trails.....