Thread: Moonshine Wash to Larry

Moonshine Wash to Larry

Planning on heading out next weekend, and it will just be a friend and me for the first day. We wanted to check out Moonshine Wash on the first day, and then we are going to meet the rest of our group and do Larry on Friday.

Using the cords from Climb Utah and Google maps, it says it is about 30 miles and 2 hours between trailheads. I am not terrifically familiar with the Roost, and I am not sure if I trust Google Maps directions on the roads out there. We will have a GPS with us.

Any ideas?
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DWayne27 View Post
    Planning on heading out next weekend, and it will just be a friend and me for the first day. We wanted to check out Moonshine Wash on the first day, and then we are going to meet the rest of our group and do Larry on Friday.

Using the cords from Climb Utah and Google maps, it says it is about 30 miles and 2 hours between trailheads. I am not terrifically familiar with the Roost, and I am not sure if I trust Google Maps directions on the roads out there. We will have a GPS with us.

Any ideas?
    Use a map?

Ya know, a REAL map, not a Google Map (which is good in the city, not so good in the boonies).

You might be able to piece it together from the various maps in the Download Center at CUSA:

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/intro/mapcenter.php

Tom

If you are in a passenger car 2 hours is probably reasonable (concervative).... in a full size truck and driving mildly aggressive you will probably half that time.

A lot depends on when the roads in the area were last graded, what kinda car, and how fast you drive on dirt roads?

FWIW: normally the road from hwy 25 over to Horseshoe is in better condition then the road from Green River to Horseshoe (two different county maintenance crews). At least that has been my experience, but a lot depends on when who graded what last....

Last week the roads out there were in baja mode. I was surprised how smooth they were, very little washboard. I was not looking forward to pulling my trailer back in there and it took less then an hour to get to burr pass. Have never seen them better.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Last week the roads out there were in baja mode. I was surprised how smooth they were, very little washboard. I was not looking forward to pulling my trailer back in there and it took less then an hour to get to burr pass. Have never seen them better.
    Did you do Green River to Horseshoe, or the "usual way", past Texas Hill and the Flattops?

T

Usual way.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Last week the roads out there were in baja mode.

Asphalt to hans flat 20 minutes tops. Maybe Devin could hitch a ride.

Same experience last month green river to horseshoe..great smooth roads...got to push the tundra a little.

The roads were all in very good condition. And I might add that the drive in to the Roost from Green River is a very nice change of scenery than driving down 24 and in that way. For me, in made the Roost area seem a lot bigger coming in from the top.
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Use a map?

Ya know, a REAL map, not a Google Map (which is good in the city, not so good in the boonies).

You might be able to piece it together from the various maps in the Download Center at CUSA:

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/intro/mapcenter.php

Tom
    Like this one: http://www.topoquest.com/map.php

Just came in the Green River route, and it was in good condition. (See separate recent post - Roost Conditions 3/24 - 3/26/11) I agree with DWayne; a much nicer route than 70 to 24 and in...