Thread: Lep or Boss Hog

Lep or Boss Hog

Which canyon is worse for large frame canyoneers? The main fork of Lep or Boss Hog? I made it through Boss Hog and Alcatraz plenty easily enough, but I stemmed up in both.

I'm 220, 6'2". Am I a big ol' fool for thinking about going down the main fork of lep?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

middle lep is definitely much skinnier than hog 1. you could do middle lep, but it will be work. you can always go higher, but with a lot more energy expenditure.

^^^ What he said ^^^

If Middle Lep gets to be to much for you there are a couple places you can bail out along the way...

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Which canyon is worse for large frame canyoneers? The main fork of Lep or Boss Hog? I made it through Boss Hog and Alcatraz plenty easily enough, but I stemmed up in both.

I'm 220, 6'2". Am I a big ol' fool for thinking about going down the main fork of lep?
    In the Hogs, if you need to go higher, there are plenty of features to do it with. In Middle Lep, the climb-ups for big folks are quite a bit harder.

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0503lep/index.htm

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    than hog 1
    How do you number your Hogs? Orgianally Boss Hog was Hog 3. The numbering was from east to west - with Hog 1 being the eastern most canyon, Middle being Hog 2 and Boss hog being Hog 3.

I am a little shorter and a little heavier than that and I made it through. Not without a little sweat though.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    How do you number your Hogs? Orgianally Boss Hog was Hog 3. The numbering was from east to west - with Hog 1 being the eastern most canyon, Middle being Hog 2 and Boss hog being Hog 3.
    If you say so, Ice, or then again, maybe not.

As part of the original popularization team of that canyon set, The first, main fork was always Hog 1 or Boss Hawg; Hog 2 always Hog 2, Hog 3 with the not-so-sticky "Razorback" appellation... in the order they are approached from the road to east. And Hog 3 was done quite some time after the other two, and Hog 4 (really called "Miss Piggy") really done the next year, and not really fitting into the scheme.

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/...eze/index4.htm
    http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/...fest/index.htm

Tom

Thanks for all the advice, my friend ended up canceling on me anyway. Hopefully by fall I'll be in better shape to make it through.

hogs go 4,1,2,3 when approached from the top.

do you name/call them something different? pretty sure your naming conventions on climb-utah refer to hog 1 as boss hog. they are synonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    As part of the original popularization team of that canyon set, The first, main fork was always Hog 1 or Boss Hawg; Hog 2 always Hog 2, Hog 3 with the not-so-sticky "Razorback" appellation...
    Wow... December 2005 huh?!?

I guess it depends on how you define popular.... if you mean after it appeared on the lastest rave... then you are correct...

You must have missed this on my website
    April 2004 - Boss Hog

And I got the beta on all the hogs from Dave Black and Tom Talboys who did them long before me (I've only done Boss Hog). Also a few TR's on Canyons and Canyoneer that predate December 2005...

Not that I really care... I was just wondering which way they are numbered this week and why....

And I got the beta on all the hogs from Dave Black and Tom Talboys who did them long before me (I've only done Boss Hog). Also a few TR's on Canyons and Canyoneer that predate December 2005...
    as mentioned above hog 1 refers to boss hawg/boss hogg/boss hog. the reason it was called hog 1 was because of dave black and jim wright's descent--its being the first to become talked about.

I guess it depends on how you define popular....
    reading tom's post when he says "popularizing the set," he's referring to the set of hogs rather than just hog 1/boss hog which you seem to be referring to

Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    as mentioned above hog 1 refers to boss hawg/boss hogg/boss hog. the reason it was called hog 1 was because of dave black and jim wright's descent--its being the first to become talked about.
    That's kinda my point... I believe the beta Dave gave out after they did the canyon (Feb 2003) listed the slots east to west.... and he also listed it as 'Boss Hawg', because it was the best of the bunch.

But hey.... I don't have a dog in this fight. I'll switch if that's the "popular" labeling....

That's kinda my point... I believe the beta Dave gave out after they did the canyon (Feb 2003) listed the slots east to west.... and he also listed it as 'Boss Hawg', because it was the best of the bunch.

But hey.... I don't have a dog in this fight. I'll switch if that's the "popular" labeling....
    Hogs one and two we did a few weeks after Dave and Jim in 2003. Hog 3 we did a few weeks after Dave in 2005. Miss Piggy we got the (recent) first on.

Y know Shane, if you got out more, you'd be more likely to keep track of the names...

T

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Y know Shane, if you got out more, you'd be more likely to keep track of the names...
    ZZZZZzzzzing!

Between having a "real" job, and, the hot young stripper wife, its a wonder he gets out at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Between having a "real" job, and, the hot young stripper wife, its a wonder he gets out at all...
    And I'm already squeezing those between coaching football and engineering race cars.... we just need to add two more days to the week and I'd be golden.

Coach at of Juan Diego (Dark Blue)

Sometimes I'm lucky and can combine two passions into one.... race cars and hot young stripper wife...

A picture of me with me first love and my second love... I'm the luckiest guy on the planet.
    Name:  sprinter..jpg
Views: 279
Size:  81.3 KB