Thread: Question about Wahweap Hoodoos

Question about Wahweap Hoodoos

Hello,

I am off the phone with a BLM ranger and he told me that the access road to Wahweap Hoodoos off Cottonwood Cyn. Road is now administratively closed and that if I am caught, I risk a $300 fine.

The other, longer access via Bigwater is open. I read in several places (including Laurent Martes' book) that it is possible to shave about a half mile each way with a 4WD by driving into the wash a bit.

For those who have done this hike recently, I have two questions:

1) Are there any signs which prohibit driving into the wash? Is the creek running which might preclude driving into the wash or undertaking this hike at all?

2) How long is the hike (one-way) if I were to park before the wash and after the wash? Laurent's book says 1-1/4 hours to the first group of hoodoos at normal pace (I'm guessing he crossed the wash and parked at the supposedly 4WD park), is that about it? I also checked Bo and Tanya's website and over there, it says that the RT time is 5 hours (so I am guessing about 2-1/4 hrs. each way).

I am not that much of a hiker and I do not enjoy hiking with heavy camera gear, so every tenth of a mile or every quarter of an hour I can save is precious for me.

Thanks.

Arindam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    You are in the GSENM... so do not drive where you should not and yet its posted. You are right at the edge of town and by a GSENM VC. This is an easy hike as long as you are not trying it in the heat of summer. There is little elevation change. Maybe you can take a young, healthy person with you to carry the heavy stuff. Ask Bo. He loves to get out a lot and with different people and likes to carry a pack around 75 lbs to keep him in shape for SAR training.

Thanks for your reply, Tanya. Of course, I do not want to drive in the wash if that's prohibited. Hence my question if anyone knew about the current restrictions.

Do you have any comment on the hiking time?

I would love to have a hiking partner, but I would like to be there around sunrise, which means I would be hiking in the dark on the way in. I am not sure how many would enjoy that.

Bogley BigShot
    The hiking time allows for taking a lot of photos that we have on the website. It's been quite a while since I have been out there though. Bo and I always put times for the average hiker. We don't stop and rest or eat, but do take a lot of photos. The time to just park, hike quickly up there and back would be far less. It helps to get to know how authors record time.

When we started writing we heard horror stories of people getting stuck due to authors recording their own hiking times like Kelsey, so we chose at that time to record the time the average hiker would take.

I don't know if the signs have changed. I do know that the locals ignored them and drove their ATV's in the wash at least the day we hiked it.

Bo's wife leaves for work at 5am, so they are early risers, but that is a long drive from St. George that early.

Thanks for your reply Tanya.

Let me see if anyone here pops in wanting to do that hike at the wee hours.

May be OT here, but I have never quite understood the logic behind prohibiting driving in a wash. I mean, I am as *green* as they come, but this regulation seems brainless to me. It's a wash for heaven's sake, the next flash flood will wipe away all traces of previous activity, so why all the fuss?

Arindam

Arindam,

We did this hike in 2007 - 11.5 mls and 5.5 h.
    When do you want to start?

May be OT here, but I have never quite understood the logic behind prohibiting driving in a wash. I mean, I am as *green* as they come, but this regulation seems brainless to me. It's a wash for heaven's sake, the next flash flood will wipe away all traces of previous activity, so why all the fuss?
    Maybe the possible leaks of the cars.
    One drop of mineral oil (1 ml) can dirty up to 1000 litre of drinking water. Lake Powell, is a water source for drinking water.

Bogley BigShot
    From Bo's write up: Continue north past a corral which is located 3 miles from Highway 89. If driving a 2WD, park on the right side of the road just before crossing the creek and then begin the hike up Wahweap Creek. High clearance 4WD vehicles can continue past the corral, crossing Wahweap Creek, and then continue for .3 miles. The trail begins in Wahweap Creek just below the 4WD parking area.

If I remember right there is a barb wire fence there too. Locals were on their ATV's in the wash, but that is forbidden by the GSENM and might have been put to a stop by now. There have been so many law suits about driving in the GSENM that I am not sure where this stands.

You want to drive right in the creek right? It should have water in it this time of year.

opinion on the roads. Being of the science minded, I agree with closing roads to protect research.
    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/51...aside.html.csp

Example of the research out of the GSENM
    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50...ecies.html.csp

THX for the article.

I will need to start the hike an hour before sunrise, at least, to be there in decent light.

Michel, however well intentioned your reason is, I think it is overblown. How many people houseboat or speedboat in Lake Powell over the summer? Isn't the risk much greater there?

Arindam

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    Arindam,

We did this hike in 2007 - 11.5 mls and 5.5 h.
    When do you want to start?

Maybe the possible leaks of the cars.
    One drop of mineral oil (1 ml) can dirty up to 1000 litre of drinking water. Lake Powell, is a water source for drinking water.

Tanya,

I didn't mean to drive in the wash right through. From your post, I thought that it isn't even allowed to drive across the wash to the 4WD car park spot. I actually confirmed with the BLM that this is not banned. it is still possible to drive across the creek and park at the 4WD area. Oh, seems like it's your birthday today. Happy birthday and many many happy returns of the day!

As a scientist myself and an avowed *greenie*, and a hiker/photographer in my other avatar, I really think the regulations in the GSENM are way overboard. There must be a better way of regulating/controlling access, not shut them off altogether. For example, they have now closed off access to BLM 431, why? I don't think they did it to protect the roadway itself, they did it to regulate access to the Wahweap Towers. But will their purpose be served if hordes of people start visiting the longer way? Anyway, I am probably just ranting at the moment; with a cooler head, I might see their logic, but as of now, I am mighty pissed that I have to start hiking in the dark.

Finally, the BLM guy at the Bigwater Visitor center told me that it's 3 miles from the 4WD park area to the hoodoos (I'm guessing he meant the first group).

Arindam

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    From Bo's write up: Continue north past a corral which is located 3 miles from Highway 89. If driving a 2WD, park on the right side of the road just before crossing the creek and then begin the hike up Wahweap Creek. High clearance 4WD vehicles can continue past the corral, crossing Wahweap Creek, and then continue for .3 miles. The trail begins in Wahweap Creek just below the 4WD parking area.

If I remember right there is a barb wire fence there too. Locals were on their ATV's in the wash, but that is forbidden by the GSENM and might have been put to a stop by now. There have been so many law suits about driving in the GSENM that I am not sure where this stands.

You want to drive right in the creek right? It should have water in it this time of year.

opinion on the roads. Being of the science minded, I agree with closing roads to protect research.
    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/51...aside.html.csp

Example of the research out of the GSENM
    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50...ecies.html.csp

I think, that's a good time. We did it also in such a way.

Tanya,

If there's water in the creek, can the hike be done at all this way?

Arindam

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post

Bogley BigShot
    Sure... it's very low and it's what makes the hike fun! We are talking ankle deep when Bo and I did it. No clue as to what the level would be right now.

Thanks Tanya. Are we talking about hiking boots here? Or are hiking shoes enough?