Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truck Tires Stolen, Need Suggestions

Truck Tires Stolen, Need Suggestions

Some bastard stole my tires and rims the other night. I know East Holladay is a rough neighborhood but I never thought I would see the ride on cinder blocks! I didn't post in 4x4 because it looks like it isn't a frequented spot on the forum.

I bought the truck with the tires that got jacked and they were wide and honestly not that great in the snow or loose gravel. Part was the thread and wear but part of me thinks they weren't good for my needs. I would prefer to get something that is a littler narrower or the same width but with much better snow capabilities since I may be living in a spot with a ton of it. Any suggestions?

Jacked: LT285/65R - 18/10 1255 Open Country A/T
    Rims: 18x10 6-55 Allied Renegade 891/892 Black

Name:  1999Toyota..jpg
Views: 4385
Size:  74.9 KBName:  IMAG0189..jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  62.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

What the hell!?

Act da foo!

Oh, and a set of these for next time...

Open country AT's are usually pretty good tires.. as well as a BFG AT.. I would say you were probably getting too much flotation from the wide tires in the snow and gravel.. not sure on the correct tire size for you but I would stay skinny on your next set.. Kurt Williams with Cruiser Outfitters runs the same truck as you and may be a good guy to call for some advice on tires/ size based on your needs.. Kurt knows his stuff for sure :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    That made for a bad morning!
    Chere'

What a lowlife! Hope you catch him.

That's nutz man. Yep, you need lockers...

They had locks. If they are carrying cinder blocks around, I'm sure they have a nice set of tire lock keys for a plethera of types. Also, the D Bag could have been casing my truck for a while so they had time to test any keys out.

Kurt Williams with Cruiser Outfitters runs the same truck
    Thanks for the info

Sorry to hear about this, thieves suck. There is no defense against the pro tire thief, thirty years in the tire business I've heard every story.

Take a look at the Hankook ATm for a A/T tire may save you a few bucks. Kurt runs these, I run the Hankook MTs on my Jeep and love 'em. The MTs just were #1 in "Four Wheeler".

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Oh, that sucks. After spending nearly a grand on new tires to replace bald ones I put lug locks on the jeep. It would be painful to replace after theft. Man, I might just come out shooting if I caught someone in the act of stealing a thousand bucks worth of tires...

Oh, and I'm running 35" BFG All Terrain. I'm not really a tire expert person, but I like 'em.

For those that may know. Would moving down from an 18x10 tire to a 17x9 be drastic to the appearance of the truck. I'm thinking not but don't really know how a lift affects things.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tmartenst View Post
    For those that may know. Would moving down from an 18x10 tire to a 17x9 be drastic to the appearance of the truck. I'm thinking not but don't really know how a lift affects things.

Thomas
    Just a tad, but you'll get better gas mileage

Going only 1 size smaller diameter rim size should have little to no affect on your suspension and handling. Generally speaking the bigger rims are lighter and allow for less rubber which also reduces the rolling weight. This combination provides less flex and faster cornering. Example porches, corvettes ect. For offroading, I perfer more rubber and less rim. Less likely to pinch flat and the tires can wrap themselves around rocks for more traction as well as flotation. I like the BF goodrich AT. I have 64,000 on them and they are at 6/32 .

Did you call police for help. I am with you in your loss. Were the tires an rims imported and expensive? Hope for recovery of your loss.

Found a killer deal on some used BFG ATs at Big O and got it done. Stayed at 18" but a littler narrower.

The good thing about this whole experience and the thing that I bet the thieves are kicking themselves about is, I got 4 cinder blocks that I didn't have before. Who is laughing now D Bags? Pretty good trade if you ask me!

The new shoes:
    Name:  1999_ToyotaTacomaN.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  50.8 KB

Thieves lose:
    Name:  1999_ToyotaTacomaN.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  79.2 KB

Hey man, looking good.

Tires and wheels look great. I bet the next purchase will be a perimeter or shock sensing alarm system.

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    Tires and wheels look great. I bet the next purchase will be a perimeter or shock sensing alarm system.
    Please don't get an alarm.. everyone just ignores them. if someone is breaking into a car to steal stuff they will just ignore it and walk away with your stuff, really do you think your neighbors are going to stop someone from stealing your stuff or that the cops will get there fast enough to catch them? Alarms like locks just keep the honest people honest and after 6 months of it going off every night because the neighborhood dog likes to pee on your tire every-night with that perimeter sensor you will stop turning it on and it will just be a waste of $$ :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

glad you picked up a new set of rims and tires, good luck this go around on keeping them on the truck, have you been watching KSL for yours, just to see if they pop up?

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.