Thread: Moab Area Rock Art VI

Moab Area Rock Art VI

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Yellow Comet Alcove

On Saturday, Jackson and I headed back to the Moab area to hike to the Yellow Comet pictographs. After researching a way to reach them, I found that there were two different routes down into the canyon. The closest route is supposed to be difficult to find if you don’t already know where it is, plus there is supposed to be a very tricky section that I didn’t like the sound of. Luckily, I managed to find another route down into the canyon, but the hike in the canyon would be about 6 miles longer. A few weeks back I stopped by the area to see if I could find the route down and did manage to find it. This time, I parked the Jeep as close as I could to the route down and we set off on our hike.

It was a short cross-county hike to the way down. The route down is a very old constructed cow trail. At some point in the past, an unknown person created this trail by drilling holes into the sandstone and pounding in steel bars. Rock, stones, branches and dirt were used to build a trail on top of these steel bars. There’s not much left of the trail, but it was still possible for us to get down even if it was a little tricky in places.

The Way Down

After scrambling down some large boulders and steep scree the rest of the way, we were soon in the wash at the bottom and the rest of the hike was much easier.

Canyon Hike

After a few more miles we reached the large alcove that houses the Yellow Comet pictographs.

Yellow Comet Alcove

Yellow Comet Panel by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Yellow Comet Above the Rocks by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

A photo of the panel with Jackson standing under it for scale…

Jackson & The Yellow Comet by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Behold! The Comet by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Yellow Comet Reversed by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

A large-but-faint life-sized petroglyph of a zoomorph nearby. If you look closely, you might be able to find some other very faint petroglyphs on this wall, too.

Large Faint Zoomorph by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

A very faint petroglyph of an anthropomorph. This one kind of makes me wonder if there wasn’t a painted figure here that is now gone, but the scratched designs have remained?

Faint Scratches by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This large, life-sized anthropomorph guards the largest alcove.

Alcove Guardian by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Here’s Jackson for some scale.

Jackson & the Guardian by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

After exploring the large alcove, having some lunch and taking plenty of photos it was time to start hiking back to the Jeep. Near the end of our hike, we had to climb back up the old cow trail again.

Jackson climbing back up the old ‘cow trail’

Climbing the old Cow Trail

After reaching the Jeep again, we still had some more time before we were ready to grab some dinner, so we stopped at the Snake-in-Mouth alcove for some photos.

Snake-in-Mouth Alcove by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Blue Eyes, Snake-in-Mouth, Bird-in-Hand by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Snake-in-Mouth Alcove 2 by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

While in the alcove, I stumbled across a boulder that had some very faint petroglyphs on it. I have not seen any like this before…..they seem to be darker than the rock itself….very unique!

Easily Missed by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

The larger dark figure just to the left of the center looks like a gorilla walking in profile to me….

Easily Missed 2 by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

A closer look at the spiral on the right side of the boulder.

Easily Missed Spiral by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

We also made a quick stop at the Centipede Alcove…

Fishman Alcove by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

When we finished up there, we headed into town for some burgers from the Moab Brewery before heading home.
    Randy Langstraat

That first set of panels is way cool (heh, so is the old cow trail). Nice stuff Randy!
    Blog | FB

Another great trip report Randy! Hey that's great you found that broken boulder near Snake-In-Mouth. Many people miss that. I wanted to tell you about that one the last time I saw you but I forgot. But it always is more fun when you 'discover' them yourself without already knowing they are there. Don't you think?

The BCS Yellow Comet is just awesome....
    "You're not lost...if you don't care where you are"
    Grand Gulch /Cedar Mesa Rock Art Hats

To learn more about the ruins of SE Utah:
    Visit Beyond Mesa Verde
    Visit Anasazi Ruins

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Great Stuff, again, Randy.
    I think the "gorilla" is most likely a bigfoot..

I also see you have really been doing your homework. Yeah, that alcove where Fishman is located is called Centipede Cave (Alcove). I think that is much more appropriate since we know it is probably a centipede next to the man and not a fish skeleton.

Like I said before, Moab photographer Bruce Hucko tagged it with the ‘Fishman’ name years ago on his site and I just went with that. Think I will still leave it that name on my site…..…..but knowing it is a misnomer.

Visit Beyond Mesa Verde
    Visit Anasazi Ruins

Excellent report and very nice pictures, Randy.

I have planned the hike to Yellow Comet Panel during my next trip in Spring. I can't wait to be there, but I am not sure that my wife will appreciate to climb the cow trail...

Philippe

Awesome TR! Those are some sweet panels.

Dang Randy, we must of just missed you. We stopped at Snake in the Mouth and the Fish Man on Saturday while checking out some possiable technical routes.

Name:  sb01..jpg
Views: 1917
Size:  90.2 KB

Name:  sb02..jpg
Views: 1763
Size:  114.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Reddirtdawg View Post
    that alcove where Fishman is located is called Centipede Cave (Alcove). I think that is much more appropriate since we know it is probably a centipede next to the man and not a fish skeleton.
    FWIW: We found more centipedes/fish in the area.

Name:  sb03..jpg
Views: 2024
Size:  87.1 KB

Nice shot of Fishman Ice ~ .......hoping this site does not go up "For Sale"

Visit Beyond Mesa Verde
    Visit Anasazi Ruins

Everything in my life is for sale.... its always just a matter of negotiating a price.

Thank you for the trip report. Nice pics!!!
    We must go forward, even if we can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Dang Randy, we must of just missed you. We stopped at Snake in the Mouth and the Fish Man on Saturday while checking out some possiable technical routes.
    We were there later in the day....around 4pm-5ish
    Randy Langstraat