Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand Canyon Short Clip

Grand Canyon Short Clip

I hiked down to Lava Falls a week ago saturday to meet the Intrepid Raftaneers. Hiked down with two that were hopping aboard and hiked back out with 4 that were saying farewell. Anyway I shot the 7 rafts running Lava Falls with my GoPro. Not great video, but fun nonetheless. Enjoy!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Awesome!

who was that kissing the ledge hole on the way by? oh wait... that was me. fun ride! glad the river was kind to me, as i was farther left than i thought i'd be...

i'll post some video of @dnally hitting the v-wave. looked like old faithful going off, totally swallowed his 18 foot boat. what a trip!

good to see you down there bo, even if it was brief. hope we share a river this year together!

couple of frame grabs from my run through lava... bo has bird's eye video. it feels a lot bigger than it looks.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    couple of frame grabs from my run through lava... bo has bird's eye video. it feels a lot bigger than it looks.
    SWEET! I knew the ride was wetter than it looked from the "birds perch"! Looking forward to more Dan! Still got my sights set for Dirty Devil. Will certainly keep you posted as I know!

Ditto. I wanna see more Dan. You had some sick stuff last time you went.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    SWEET! I knew the ride was wetter than it looked from the "birds perch"! Looking forward to more Dan! Still got my sights set for Dirty Devil. Will certainly keep you posted as I know!
    A few friends set out to Dirty Devil yesterday and are putting on today Dan! I was told that 200cfs was the time to go but these guys have done it 2 other times at 130cfs and 120cfs. It's running at 109 and they weren't worried? Anyway...they'll be reporting to me when they get off in 10 days and it may be that I'll be going sooner than later Dan? I'll certainly be letting you know of my plans.

dnally was in yesterday and had some really fun stories to tell! He's anxious to join us on the DD as well. Guess he's headed to Ca. this weekend and Hawaii next, but maybe we can go in 3 or 4 weekends?

according to the river's runners guide to utah, 100 is the minimum. are they in duckies or packrafts? packrafts can run at lower cfs than duckies for sure. some guys ran it at 60 in the lower section in packrafts two years ago.

it's gonna be warm for a week, i think your friends might hit it nicely with some melt. let's tentatively plan for end of march and see if we luck out. there's also some ways to skip the first 15 miles, which are notorious for being the most difficult to float, if we are willing to walk a little ways.

Hawaii trip is not until July. The only concern with DD is it's been flowing below its long term median as of late:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/uv...95,00300,63680

Be nice to see 200 for a faster float

What resolution did you shoot on the whole time? I assume 720 60fps?

I haven't done 1080 yet, how do you feel it plays on the web vs 720, aside from the 30fps vs 60fps? Currently I don't see any reason to go to 1080, I'm assuming a lot of computers still don't have the hardware to play it that smooth over the web. Thoughts?

ok, that's getting a little distracted from the thread.

1080 isn't as wide, so it's good if you don't want slowmotion, and if you want to crop to 720 (which gives you an effective zoom). i rarely use it. i have other cameras for zooms. i typically want slow motion. and yes, hardly any 1080 viewing mediums work all that well. 720 is the preferred format for web.

What software do you use to slow it down if you shoot at 60fps?

any NLE should be able to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    What software do you use to slow it down if you shoot at 60fps?
    Windows Live Movie Maker will slow it down if you get the latest version

Cool thanks, I must have an old version, I wasn't able to do it in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Cool thanks, I must have an old version, I wasn't able to do it in it.
    the new version crashes on me pretty frequently though.