Thread: Zion Spring Break visit

Zion Spring Break visit

We're planning a visit to Zion/Hurricane/St. George area March 12 - 15. Never been there this time of year & introducing our son & daughter-in-law to this area for the first time. We want to get in a Zion peak, slot canyon and mtn. bike ride. Been watching the radar today and the forecast. Looks kind of grim for dry but at least there will be several drying days in between now and our arrival. Mtn. biking shouldn't be a problem - it'll just help the traildust settle and we've done quite a bit around there.

As for climbing a Zion peak, would like to do either Mtn. of the Sun or Lady Mtn. (Done both before) Anybody know if the Lady would be free of snow by now? I figure Mtn. of the Sun, once you get into that Lodge Canyon section that faces north could have some leftover ice & snow, especially after this weeks storm. What do ya think? I also assume Mt. Kinesava would probably be the most free of any problem. There's also North Guardian and/or Northgate Peaks. Would the trail up there still be snow covered and how much?

For a canyon, what would be likely to be the driest? (No wetsuits so would prefer to not get in over waist deep) We'll probably go out to Yankee Doodle & Boltergeist for short 1/2 day exercise, but would also like to do a longer day canyon. Saw the recent posts on Yankee & Behunin. On a recent post from someone wanting to visit in the summer from back east, something was said about short canyons in Snow Canyon? Are there some other Silver Reef ones we could try? Doesn't look like too much rain fell in there - yet. What about Birch - is the road drivable past the resort where the pavement ends so we could do a two-car setup and exit by upper Orderville? Would also consider Hidden Canyon from the top but figure again that there might be some lengthy hiking through snow to get to the start and then ice problems once in the north facing canyon. We're open to other suggestions as well. Would hope to hear from some of you locals. Would also consider some of the slots out of the park on the east side.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Is this a first time hiking/canyoneering for the son and daughter in law?

There are some property issues with Mt. Kinesava right now, so check out the new information. It requires more time to hike now. Some try and go up this in April but get turned around. Someone I know went up not long ago though and it was free of ice on the ramp.

If you are in St. George, stop into the Desert Rat and talk to Bo. I doubt he would be around on the weekends though. People often go up and attempt hikes and get turned around by snow and ice and let him know, so he might have some info for you right before you go. It's so hard to give a definite answer for most of your questions this time of year.

There is a current report for Yankee her on Bogley.. or maybe it was fb? Just glanced but thought it said it was full of water???

PS... it is snowing right now on the east side of the park although its not sticking yet.. more of a slushy rain actually.

Thanks Tanya. We've really used your site over the last 8 years we've been visiting in that area. It has a wealth of info and has kept us well entertained with adventures. The son & daughter-in-law are fairly new to technical canyoneering like us, but we all have considerable mountain experience. What I remember reading about Yankee said it was dry at time of report but that they expected it to fill up with all the rain, however, radar summary doesn't seem to show that much has fallen in the Silvercliffs area. (Just checked again & it looks like rain has stopped around there.) I don't think that it fills all that deep anyhow.
    Any thoughts about Lady Mtn.?
    Where would be the best source for Kinesava issues? Zion Adventure?

Bogley BigShot
    I thought all those things you mentioned were familiar. Thanks for using it! You know Bo that I mentioned then is the one that writes the directions for the site.

This trail report has the updates for Kinesava on it.
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-mt-kinesava.htm

That is probably the Yankee report I glanced at too == just the pictures really.

Lady Mountain usually is not doable right now, but you never know. I remember wanting to do it once and Bo said some rangers had just reported in that they had to turn around because of the snow/ice up there one year. It's just that time of year that is hard to call, but usually assume its not doable.

Thanks for the link to the beta. That "Cowboy Ridge" looks fun. Got anything on that? What's it rated?
    We didn't figure it out till this year that you and Bo both contribute to the site. Looks like ya'll done a lot of updating recently & have even more stuff now. Great resource. For a long time, we just thought it was your site because your pictures were all over it.

Bogley BigShot
    If you look at the photos albums from the trails then its almost all Bo - granted most are his rear side since I usually tag behind him and take photos and I always thought it made a site look too much like a personal blog to show faces of my hiking partners and kids that I hike with. I have changed my mind on that and recently added face and close up shots, including the last photos Bo ever took of me. I also have tried to get rid of any where we did not have helmets. Tom has taught his is youngins' well. ;)

Bo writes most of the directions and takes some photos, most of the ones of me and makes the maps. It says on each trail report and map that Bo either wrote or helped write it. Before I met Bo I wrote them. Then when we started hiking he would carry a recorder and I would try and write them from that. The last few years, he found it easier to just write them. I wonder why. I know I kept asking him a ton of questions!
    Now I usually just do a couple of proofreads after he has wrote them up ----- until we use one for the book (50 now), then we send it back and forth for weeks making it really nice.

I write all the general pages, take many of the photos and make and maintain the site. 10 years of working on it now!

Bo has done Cowboy Ridge as you can see from his photo, but never wrote it up that I know of other than his report here on Bogley. I am sure there is beta on the internet or you can pm him and ask.

The site use to look like a 5th grader made it so I have been trying to fix it up lately since I have some time right now. Bo and I have a book coming out in a couple of months that covers the same area as the website.

Here are some peak bagging ideas
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-peak-bagging.htm

Really have made use of the peakbagging section of your site. Still do but have added Courtney Purcell's book to our info base. Climbed Mtn. of the Sun last Nov. & had a blast. Nice Route! Used both yours & his descriptions. Had a little problem near the start but figured it all out. Also did S. Guardian and exited off the west end instead of backtracking. That was an adventure complete with my wife narrowly missing being bitten by a rattlesnake.
    Sounds like a lot of work for the site - keep it up. It's all very good.
    We're working on one ourselves - only in the formative stage, that may be modeled on something like Shane's membership site. It's focus will be Colorado 13ers.
    Hope to meet ya some day!

Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    That "Cowboy Ridge" looks fun. Got anything on that? What's it rated?
    http://www.climbing.com/exclusive/fe...5/index4.html#

Purportedly 5.7.

A couple of friends report of it (combo with West Temple):

http://adventurerun.wordpress.com/20...erse/#more-761

Bogley BigShot
    Brian knows climbing! That is another one to listen to and get info from!

Thanks Brian. Added the link to Buzz's report so people know where to look.

That snow is coming down a bit harder now.... almost 5pm.