Thread: March Water levels for Robbers Roost, nearby areas

March Water levels for Robbers Roost, nearby areas

Hi, I am planning a trip in a couple of weeks and it will be our first time to these areas early in Spring. We are hoping to go back to Robbers Roost but may go elsewhere if water levels are too high. I have been to Robbers Roost in May and October and ran into very minimal water. We are thinking about doing Alcatraz and Not Mindbender again. If there is water, do you think a 3/2 wetsuit would be sufficient?

Historically, what are water levels like this time of year?

Any recommendations for good technical Canyons that would not require a wetsuit in the Roost, Swell or North wash areas? (preferably excluding the irsih canyons and poison springs areas). How would shenanigans be?

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We were in Shenanigans two weeks ago and the only water was the avoidable pool after the last rap.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

I've been down to the area twice this year and everything seems very dry. The roads are more of a concern this year than other years though.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bladerider View Post
    Hi, I am planning a trip in a couple of weeks and it will be our first time to these areas early in Spring. We are hoping to go back to Robbers Roost but may go elsewhere if water levels are too high. I have been to Robbers Roost in May and October and ran into very minimal water. We are thinking about doing Alcatraz and Not Mindbender again. If there is water, do you think a 3/2 wetsuit would be sufficient?

Historically, what are water levels like this time of year?

Any recommendations for good technical Canyons that would not require a wetsuit in the Roost, Swell or North wash areas? (preferably excluding the irsih canyons and poison springs areas). How would shenanigans be?

Thanks in advance.
    "Historical Water Levels" are quite beside the point - the question is how much precip has happened in the last month. Currently it sounds like things are dry down there, so watching the weather between now and then would give you a good idea of how things stand. It is raining in Zion today, but I think the storm does not go much east of here.

Shennany has a pool in the upper canyon that holds water, but only for a few days after a rain. It is reported as being dry. The pool at the bottom of the last rap can be bypassed by a small-holds traverse at and below water-level on the left. Success rates are about 90%.

Having wetsuits opens up 2X canyons in the North Wash area, but it is one of the few areas that has quite an assortment of fully dry canyons. For this kind of exposure, 3/2 full wetsuits are sufficient, though I would bring a 4/3 because I have it. Heartiness of individuals varies widely.

Usually dry canyons, North Wash: Lep Middle, Lep East, Lep West, Blarnies, Shills, Shenanigans (as noted), Foolin Around (except for the best part, and be walked around), Monkey Business, Hogs 1,2,3, Miss Piggy, Slideanide, Constrich9, Arscenic, Upper Stair.

Tom