Thread: Toroweap Access

Toroweap Access

Good Day,

Everywhere I have read states that accessing toroweap can be quite a feat in its own. I have read that 25% of visitors will get a flat tire. Is this an overstatement? Is it really that bad? I will have a standard suv rental and would like to get there in Mid-April. I will be solo so I am wondering if this is too risky of a trip.

Thanks In Advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Of all my trips out there I only got a flat once.... 1am in the dang morning though! We were driving too fast too which probably contributed to it. I think people just want you to be aware that it is common so you are prepared. Go slow and you will probably be fine.

Just plan time for a flat .. just in case.

Love Toroweap Point at Tuweep!

Great! You just locked it in for me. I will add it to the itinerary

1 AM? I can only wish I am lucky enough to be out there that late.

Bogley BigShot

I went there Saturday with a group of 11 vehicles, 0% of us got flat tires--so yeah, definitely an overstatement. The road wasn't even bad until we hit the GCNP boundary, you could have driven a passenger car to that point if you were careful, but not any farther. However, about 25% of us did get stuck in the snow trying to get around the south side of Mt. Trumbull on the way back out.
    Blog | FB

I think the last 5 miles or so are where most people have a problem. I've been twice with my Jeep and been fine.
    On my last trip to the petroglyphs I took my Pilot and got a flat right at the site!

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Hmm, will the snow be around in April or is it likely that it will melt before and turn to mud? That sounds like a more difficult challenge. I've changed many tires in my day so i'm not really afraid of that. I'm more afraid of two flats with one spare

Quote Originally Posted by Tcon View Post
    Hmm, will the snow be around in April or is it likely that it will melt before and turn to mud?
    The snow was only going over the Mt. Trumbull route after already reaching the Toroweap overlook. We came into the area directly south from Colorado City and there was no snow, and only a little bit of mud in the road. It should all be gone by April unless it rains in the week before your trip.
    Blog | FB

I was pretty disspointed with the fact that zion will most likely be blown out when I get there. This info has been the upside!

Bogley BigShot
    Zion! There is so much to do there .. every season! You just need an alternate plan!

Oh I believe it, I still have lots on my Zion checklist. Even though the Subway and Narrows are touristy they are on my must see list. I guess I'll just have to come back! Look at me trying to come back even though I haven't left

The key is the tires when considering a trip to Tuweep......Nearly ALL rental cars/trucks, even 4x4s, even jeeps, notoriously have $50 specials, cheap thin 4 ply street tires that puncture easily especially for inexperienced drivers at high speeds 35+. A 10 ply tire or tough 6 ply is unlikely to puncture. This is NOT, I repeat NOT the place for passenger cars. Also, not to scare you but NEARLY ALL rental companies forbid use of any vehicle, a car, an SUV, a Jeep, or any other 4x4 on dirt roads. You will be liable for any damages and you can forget about roadside assistance. If you are smart you will wash and clean any rental before turning it in if you are ballsy enough to try this journey in a rental.

Consider taking a guided tour to Toroweap and eliminate the unknowns and the work all together. You also get guided hiking to orient you and narration and Q+A throughout the entire trip. Dreamland Safari Tours offers a daytour to Toroweep that lasts 7 hours including a picnic at the rim. It also offers an Overnight Tuweep Photography Tour for those that wish to relax here and get all of the various light conditions this incredible place has to photography.

Toroweap Access

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    I went there Saturday with a group of 11 vehicles, 0% of us got flat tires--so yeah, definitely an overstatement. The road wasn't even bad until we hit the GCNP boundary, you could have driven a passenger car to that point if you were careful, but not any farther. However, about 25% of us did get stuck in the snow trying to get around the south side of Mt. Trumbull on the way back out.
    Funny, I know EXACTLY which snow you're speaking of. It's right before you get to the historic saw mill (coming from Toroweap).

Wade

From wnorton using an iPad and Tapatalk HD.