Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planning a trip to Coyote Buttes South and surrounding area

What about camping overnight in the area? From the BLM sites - it states no camping in CBS - but White Pocket is okay since it is outside of the permit area?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    There is one campground. Half in Arizona and half in Utah. Utah is the cheaps side.

The information is in the center column of any of our Coyote Buttes pages.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/coyote-buttes.htm

Tanya -

I have been to your website so many times since going to the Kanab/Page area - and thought it had such great information. It is nice to put your picture to your website after all this time! Keep up the good work with all of your postings - they are so appreciated!

Bogley BigShot
    Thanks! I recently started adding photos of me on it, but they have only been up a short time.

Bo is on this site too. He is the expert trail writer!

What about camping overnight in the area?
    From the BLM sites - it states no camping in CBS - but White Pocket
    is okay since it is outside of the permit area?
    ... stateline CG has fire rings too and one bigger site with a patio (Arizona).
    Campsites are in the east of the CBS - right hand to the 4WD Trail (corral and Chess Queen).
    At White Pocket - near the fence at the TH or if you like at Hole in the Rock area.

Visited Cottonwood Cove a few years ago. Would highly recommend this particular area if you're into photography. We spent two full days to take advantage of sunrise/sunsets (absolutlely best time for color) and still did not feel like we took advantage of all the photographic opportunities there. I think most people visiting this section only scratch the surface. We went in with a Toyota T-100 4WD and another couple in a 4WD pickup with a heavy camper in late Sept. There were some sandy spots where it was best to keep moving, but otherwise, no problems encountered. Some good camping just past the corral area where the road drops down a little. Make sure you don't camp/park past the wilderness boundary signs or you may be lectured. We have driven the House Rock road from both directions. We were advised that the southern end of the road tends to be in better shape because of less traffic volume - found that to be true, however, it all depends on recent conditions and how wet the road is. Would recommend the southern approach from Page if heading for Cottonwood Cove. There is every kind of formation you can imagine in that area and all the same beautiful colors as the wave.

Peak - thanks for your reply. I am really looking forward to heading out there. I am not quite sure what to expect but everyone has such beautiful pictures, so I think it should be pretty spectacular.

I called Canyon Country Jeep Rental in Page - spoke with Rick who was very nice. He did say that he sends people out with tow straps, shovels, battery chargers, etc - and he did say that he has not had anyone get stuck - yet. With my luck, I might be the first for him. I am going back and forth about renting a vehicle vs having a tour. I would really like to just rent the vehicle and be there on our own terms and time schedule - but then that whole "safety" factor is an issue. I suppose we could do the tour first and then see it for ourselves - it might give us some peace of mind to rent a vehicle the next time?

We have a lot of "what if's " for this trip - still need permits for CBS which we hope to obtain as walk ins at the lottery - and then there is the whole "weather" factor that can make or break a trip. The year that we did the Wave - the day we left - the forecast for the area was sunny and 70's for the whole week. The day we hiked into the Wave - it was 30, very windy, and snowing. BRRRRRR!!!!! Needless to say, we were not as prepared as we thought.