Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning a trip to Coyote Buttes South and surrounding area

Planning a trip to Coyote Buttes South and surrounding area

Hi everyone, I am new here to the forum and have found lots of useful information already on this board. My husband and I are heading out to Page/Kanab the first week of April. Our plans this year are to head out to Coyote Buttes South, Paw Hole, and White Pocket.

We were fortunate enough to score permits to CBN a few years ago, so we have been to the Wave - and will attempt to get lottery walk in permits again this year but are not counting on it. I would love to be able to see the Sand Cove area, Top Rock and Melody's Arch - and other surrounding areas of the Wave since we spent most of our day at the Wave proper.

So, from my understanding in years past, the walk in permits for CBS have been fairly easy to obtain however we will not have a 4wd vehicle. Is it possible to rent a 4wd vehicle in Page? I have also seen the Overland Tours and Paria Outpost services for shuttle/guide, etc - but the cost is pretty high. We are thinking of spending an entire day out there - is that enough to visit all three places and not feel rushed? We are open to spending an overnight out there (or two) also - but again, we would have to find equipment to rent somehow. Is renting camping equipment a possibility in Page?

Thanks for any information,

Laurie

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Even with a rental 4WD I would be concerned about driving to White Pocket. It takes a very capable vehicle and an experienced driver to get through the sand without getting stuck. A lot of times where you have to smash the gas when most people would not think to do so. You'll also want a good compressor and other recovery tools in case the sand is too soft. When I drove out there in December there were so many spots where people had sunk their vehicles deep into the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Even with a rental 4WD I would be concerned about driving to White Pocket. It takes a very capable vehicle and an experienced driver to get through the sand without getting stuck. A lot of times where you have to smash the gas when most people would not think to do so. You'll also want a good compressor and other recovery tools in case the sand is too soft. When I drove out there in December there were so many spots where people had sunk their vehicles deep into the sand.
    I always go with a rental car to the area. I was at the CBS and White Pocket with a XTerra, a Nissan Pathfinder, Jeep Wrangler Sport, a Rubicon and also with a Chevy Trailblazer many years ago. It was fine. It depends on the road conditions.
    But you are right, you need the proper equipment like air compressor, tow rope, floor mats, shovel and jack. You can easily get stuck in the sand.
    Last June we aired down our Rubicon due to the soft and deep sand. With this everything worked out fine.
    I would never go without my equipment, that's for sure.
    And I would never recommend the drive to an unexperienced driver.

For example, last year we twice towed someone out on House Rock Valley Road. In both cases the vehicles got stuck in a short passage of deep and very soft sand.

here is a link of a jeep rental in Page:

http://www.ccadventures.net/

friends of mine have rented there once or twice.

We've rented there.
    Rick, the owner, is very friendly.
    We have had the Grand Cherokee - great 4WD.
    Now he offers Wranglers too.

Our plans this year are to head out to Coyote Buttes South, Paw Hole, and White Pocket.
    Great plan. You'll have a great time in this remote and impressive area. And yes, it's better you stay there overnight. So you can enjoy all three places including sunset, sunrise and the incredible starry sky - sometimes with the sound of the coyotes.
    If you aren't so tall, you can sleep in the Cherokee.

Okay - I think we have a pretty good idea that we - as inexperienced drivers in sand - probably should not attempt the full drive out there.

So - that leads me to this question - how far can we go down Houserock Road? We have been down this road multiple times but only as far as the Wirepass Trail parking area. Last year around the end of March - was..... interesting.... to say the least but I have heard that the road has been scraped recently? I hope so!

I have followed the road on Google Earth and it seems there might be other parking areas around. We are in relatively good shape - I would be willing to hike from Stateline Campground if this is possible.

Hmmmmm - I am not that tall - I am up for sleeping in the vehicle if possible !

Does anyone care to share where they stayed/camped? How about cost of renting the vehicle for the few days?

Does anyone rent camping equipment?

Thanks for all of the replies - I am really looking forward to this!

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post

Great plan. You'll have a great time in this remote and impressive area. And yes, it's better you stay there overnight. So you can enjoy all three places including sunset, sunrise and the incredible starry sky - sometimes with the sound of the coyotes.
    If you aren't so tall, you can sleep in the Cherokee.
    I want to go back
    You exactly described our last years trip with sunset, sunrise and the coyotes in the morning.
    Hell, that place is so incredible!!

Here's my TOPO map.

Name:  Map_House_Rock_Va&#10.jpg
Views: 9023
Size:  113.2 KB

We are in relatively good shape - I would be willing to hike from Stateline Campground if this is possible.
    That's rock'n roll.
    A pretty good hike is if you start at Lone Tree via Paw Hole to the CBS. Onward to the White Pocket is impossible - IMO. There are no water sources. You have to carry all your water!
    Good campsites are on White Pocket near TH. On CBS near 'Chess Queen' or near corral on the right hand site - please see map.

How about cost of renting the vehicle for the few days?
    Please call or email Rick at ccadventures for details.

Does anyone rent camping equipment?
    Sorry, I've no idea. An other option, buy some camping goods on Walmart in Page.

I hope it helps for the moment.
    I go into my bed now, it's 2 am here.

or maybe just visit the Paw Hole Teepees. Access via Lone Tree Reservoir. Normally a 2WD road to the trailhead , but depending on the recent weather conditions.
    It's sandy but much easier to drive. The Paw Hole loop is less spectacular than Cottonwood Cove, but still worth a visit.

We want to go back too Yvonne- but we have not enough time in this year.
    We are around Moab and Blanding - only a couple of days for the CCR and CBS.

We want to go back too Yvonne- but we have not enough time in this year.
    We are around Moab and Blanding - only a couple of days for the CCR and CBS.
    Guess what - same to me.
    Skipping the Page area this year due to some backpack trips in the Escalante and Moab area

Quote Originally Posted by americanhero View Post
    or maybe just visit the Paw Hole Teepees. Access via Lone Tree Reservoir. Normally a 2WD road to the trailhead , but depending on the recent weather conditions.
    It's sandy but much easier to drive. The Paw Hole loop is less spectacular than Cottonwood Cove, but still worth a visit.
    Dang it - now you gave me somewhere else to want to go. Okay - time to do some research on Cottonwood Cove

Quote Originally Posted by Bobuddy View Post
    Dang it - now you gave me somewhere else to want to go. Okay - time to do some research on Cottonwood Cove
    I can highly recommend Tanya's website
    There are wonderful shots and lots of beta of the area.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/sou...ote-buttes.htm

Cottonwood Cove is the access you normally take when visiting the area via BLM 1017 and BLM 1066.
    From there it's not too far away to White Pocket. We always combined both. First we headed for an overnight camp to White Pocket and the next day to CBS-Cottonwood Cove area.
    Here are some shots of my visit last June.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...e-Buttes-South

Bogley BigShot
    My kind of woman!

Sorry, what're a 'lots of beta'?
    I don't really understand this term.

Sorry, what're a 'lots of beta'?
    I don't really understand this term.
    Beta refers to "Information". Beta=Information

Thank you Bo,
    So are these information - not approved, incomplete, or not really for the public?
    Thanks again.

Bogley BigShot
    It's just another word for information, but a slang word really. The dictionary just does not get it right. lol

In the case of what we use it for, it is as ready as its going to get.

Yes, my dictionary has had no idea - so much slangs and acronyms here.
    I'll try out these.
    I've a bunch of grey hair more.

Drove down House Rock Valley Rd in a rental compact car back in May 2005 to Lone Tree. From there was able to drive .5 of the 2.5 miles to Paw Hole. Walked the rest. About 40 minutes. From the teepees you continue to head north and generally uphill visiting other interesting features until you crest at a very impressive view of what seems the entire Coyote Buttes area. You'll be at the top of an amphitheatre thru which you can easily traverse over to Cottonwood should you choose.

Weather will be the key. Long as it's not raining or recently poured you shouldn't have a problem driving down HRVR. If the temps are cool, you should be to cover some ground without wilting once you depart from your vehicle.

If you have additional time in the area and haven't already been, consider the ride up Long Canyon and hike to Cobra Arch or perhaps a hike to Starlight Arch over near Old Pahreah.