Thread: Amazing images of the Milky Way captured by amateur on the hills of Snowdonia

Amazing images of the Milky Way captured by amateur on the hills of Snowdonia

dailymail.co.uk - An amateur photographer has stunned astronomers by capturing these majestic images of the Milky Way.

Carl Jones, 36, ventured into Snowdonia National Park after dark and photographed the striking cluster of stars, which stretch in straight lines either side of a dark void.

His images, which are wonderful shades of purple, red and white, have the sharp silhouettes of hills and lakes in the foreground.

Worth the effort: Carl Jones regularly ventured into Snowdonia National Park after dark and patiently waited for the perfect opportunities to photograph the Milky Way

Mr Jones, from Rhyd-y-Clafdy, North Wales, said: 'The photographs were taken at one of my favourite locations in Snowdonia, Llyn Y Dywarchen.

'I've always been fascinated by the stars and night sky so I don't mind taking my camera up a mountain in the evening.
    'I leave the shutter open and just sit in awe of it all.'

More...

He added: 'Anyone can see the Milky Way. You just need to head out somewhere dark, which is easier said than done for many people, and let your eyes adjust for ten minutes.

'It appears as a dusty, cloud-line across the sky.

'Through the centre of the Milky Way is a dark area, which one may mistake as being devoid of stars but it's actually an area I believe is referred to as the Great Rift.

'Light is unable to escape through a number of dark nebulae which are present there.'

Watch the skies: Father-of-two Mr Jones pursues his hobby after his children have gone to bed

Mr Jones heads to the park to take photos when his children, aged seven and ten, are asleep in bed.

His photos show clusters of stars in a starfield, or a star trail, which shows the movement of the earth through the sky.

He said: 'I've always been fascinated by star trail images.

'People think it shows the stars moving through the sky, whereas in reality what they display is the rotation of the earth, with the stars staying relatively stationary.'

He added: 'There's no point getting pictures of a blank piece of sky full of stars, you need something in the foreground to lead people through the image.

'Fortunately, living so near to Snowdonia means there's no shortage of lakes, mountains and churches to use as foreground interest.'

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow, just wow, the second one specially.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I've seen lots better Milky Way shots,lots of star trailing in the last.

I think we have seen better shots on this site.
    Life is Good

pretty good but Dans stuff is better

Yep, certainly some man crushes going on around here.

It doesn't matter who's "stuff is better". That get's pretty old pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by gnwatts View Post
    It doesn't matter who's "stuff is better". That get's pretty old pretty quick.
    I don't see why it's a problem to look at a set of photos being advertised as spectacular and make a comment that someone else does a much better job at shooting the same type of subject. Am I missing something? Some people's stuff is just better.

It's just not the way I think.
    "Just better"? I don't know. A pretty subjective term. Especially when it comes to photography.
    And he called them amazing, not spectacular. It's his opinion.
    Did he say "Amazing images of the Milky Way that are way better than Dan's"?

Maybe I am missing something.

It's his opinion. .
    and I dont get one?

Did he say "Amazing images of the Milky Way that are way better than Dan's"?
    Maybe I am missing something.
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...8897-Milky-Way

or

Delicate Universe by megascapes, on Flickr

Nice photo. The other persons photo is nice also. I just don't care if one is better than the other.

Nice photo. The other persons photo is nice also. I just don't care if one is better than the other.
    But if the only criteria is a nice photo and nothing beyond that is better than another than what's the point in trying to take a truly amazing photo? This just seems similar to the attitude people have towards preschoolers drawing pictures. They're all wonderful because they all tried hard, blah, blah, blah.. let's hang it on the fridge. But when it comes to getting published and having people pass links around about how awesome it is, it seems like the stuff that is truly better (IMO) should be acknowledged as such. At least that's how I feel about it. In my opinion, the pics from the original post aren't that great. I think the foregrounds are my biggest complaint. I believe that given a wide lens with a fast aperture and a nice dark sky, a handful of people I know could do much better. Dan is a fine example.

14. Likes oldno7 liked this post

Man, if I spent my time complaining about other people (who create photographs I don't like) getting published, I wouldn't have time to do anything else.
    This is getting old, and pointless.

Man, if I spent my time complaining about other people (who create photographs I don't like) getting published, I wouldn't have time to do anything else.

welcome to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    good hell, folks, it's not a contest
    no kiddin?

Had gnwatts posted his shots of the milky way I highly doubt anyone would of posted "we've seen better" but this was a published article of some sort and we were simpling pointing out that people in this forum do work on the same level if not a higher.

I blame Scott... he started it.

No one's complaining... just pointing out that the original pics might be a little trumped up and perhaps not on par with the quality we would expect to see published. That's all.

One more thing... don't you do photography for a living? So wouldn't that mean your livelihood depends on people making the judgement that your work is better than someone else's? It sounds like you think we're all just sitting here criticizing but all we are doing is acknowledging a superior product over an inferior one.

19. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    I don't have any star photos. I can't get them to sit still.
    Ibenick, other people can "judge' my work. Like I have said repeatedly in this thread, I don't care.
    I don't spend my time thinking "is my work better". I try to expand my abilities each day. Thats what my livelihood depends on, and what is important to me. In addition, in my experience editors don't categorize photographers as better (if they do they keep it to themselves), and if you are dealing with an editor at that level you do not have to prove yourself. They use the images that fit their story, budget and schedule. They assume you will provide beautiful images for them.
    And there are a lot of photographers out there who make beautiful images, and that encourages me to try that much harder each time I set up my camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post

I blame Scott... he started it.
    As the former Timpview High Art Club President (impeached) I felt qualified to render judgment that we have seen better on this site. Thank you. That is all.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    As the former Timpview High Art Club President (impeached) I felt qualified to render judgment that we have seen better on this site. Thank you. That is all.
    Reinstated!