Thread: Toroweap Overlook info wanted

Toroweap Overlook info wanted

I'm down here in St. George looking for something to do. I've tried in the past to get to the Toroweap Overlook area of the Colorado River, and was thinking about making that attempt again. However, the information I have suggests that this may not be possible this time of year when the roads are wet. If you have some first hand information about the road condition and/or suggested routes, I'd appreciate the information.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    We had one heck of an ugly storm there! I really would not suggest it right now. That road has to be a mess!

I was stuck in Cedar and the roads were impassible over hwy's 14 and 20, so headed to Hurricane and over 389. There was one accident and several stranded cars. We got home about 2am. It usually does not snow in that area, but it sure did this time.

On the otherhand, Bo and I drove out there once after it rained thinking the roads would be bad and there was hardly any washboarding and it was great!

Still I would not chance it right now! Zion has to be awesome right now with all the moisture! Snow Canyon might even look pretty cool.

Hey, thanks for the local info, Tanya. I have a couple of guys over at rockymountainextreme.com telling me it's probably no problem, so I appreciate your input for sure. As for Zions and Snow, I'm really vehicle bound right now as my wife who has some serious health issues is with me on this trip, so I'm not going to be doing much, if any hiking. :(

If you didn't already see this thread, Bo describes conditions on the road to Toroweap as of two days ago. Sounds like once it has a couple of days to dry out (which it should be well on its way toward doing now), it will likely be ok. I'm heading there this weekend, so if you end up going let us know how the roads were.
    Blog | FB

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    If you didn't already see this thread, Bo describes conditions on the road to Toroweap as of two days ago. Sounds like once it has a couple of days to dry out (which it should be well on its way toward doing now), it will likely be ok. I'm heading there this weekend, so if you end up going let us know how the roads were.
    Thanks, Udink. I'll let you know if I make the attempt.

If you're going to Toroweap it's worth a side trip to the Nampaweap Petroglyph site.

http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/rec...nampaweap.html

I think Tanya has beta on her site, too.

Win

Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

I was out there last year in January, It rained a bit every day we were there and put down 4 inches of snow the morning we left.. The drive out was.. interesting to say the least :).. but the roads in general are decent out there so even with a little rain a decent set up 4x4 with MT tires and you will be fine.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    I have AT tires...hmmm.
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...e-Grand-Canyon

in my trip report is a pic of what my jeep looked like after heading out.. the MT's ability to clear themselves of the mud helped a ton..
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

We made the attempt today. After 27 miles, we turned around. The road became very muddy from the melting snow and it looked like it could stay that way, or likely become worse as the elevation increased. Without mud tires, I didn't want to chance it, and besides, my better half was urging me to turn around. Likely if I'd have been by myself or with another guy, I would've gone further, just to see how far I could get, and I may have gotten myself stuck for awhile. I'm thinking though in a few days, if the temps stay warm, that part will dry out fast as there was only about an inch of quickly melting snow there. I took no pics of the road, but I will post some of my 4runner in moments.

Let's see if I can get this to work. BTW, does anyone know if they make a resizer power toy for Windows 7? If these work, they are pictures of my vehicle with mud.

Name:  019..jpg
Views: 945
Size:  71.5 KB

Name:  Yota on Toroweap &.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  69.5 KB

Name:  Yota on Toroweap &.jpg
Views: 2111
Size:  78.8 KB

We were pulled off on a side road, much lower down than where we turned around, and on this side road we were slipping enough that I had to pull up into the brush to turn around, instead of just backing up to get back on the main road. Very soggy in places that didn't look soggy. Oh, and we saw one guy coming down after us that we hadn't seen on the way up...so he must've got up higher, but we weren't in a position to ask him how far he got.

Yeah you got a little red mud. I hit 92 on my dirt bike one time on those roads... Long, strait and hard packed road base in the summer!