Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Must See Slots - Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    For the sulphur creek shot I used HDR in order to capture the dynamic range between the shadows and sky
    I figured that one was HDR with the amount of clarity and range across the entire dof. But I have to say that's one of the best HDR shots I've ever seen.
    And in fact that shot had me looking at camera prices to see if it was worth selling my current SLR body to upgrade to a newer, HDR capable setup.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Not cool to get lippy with the guys that SAR will be calling for beta to get you out of a canyon.

x2 on Shane's recommendations of Sulphur Creek and Moonshine.

Whops, you misunderstood. My "thank you" and smiley face dude were actually sincere. That was my very first canyon trip and I did what my experienced buddies told me to do. I guess the Animals were right "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good. Oh lord, please don't let me be misunderstood." I miss the early days of IRC chatting with distinct emotion references like <s>, <g> & <weg>. Whops again! I'm showing my age. Scratch that. Um, yeah so I'm all like tots gonna go watch some Kardasians and book my Bieber tix, for reals then I gots to get my tweet on, yo.

But hey, we're here on this particular feed to talk about "Must See Slots" for Jeff, right? Looks like mission accomplished. Amazing pix, Summit. <jealous> Truly epic "wish you were here" shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Those Knotted Rope potholes can/are deadly when the canyon is low on water....

Death in Knotted Rope
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26661

Go prepared... The most difficult pothole is the first major one you will encounter. The good news is you can easily reverse the canyon at that point if you find the challenge beyond your skill level. Use good judgement...
    Whoa! Really really thank you for sharing this, Iceaxe. Important info (I like the rescue/escape options discussed by the group too). I wonder if I would have been as brave had I read this beforehand?

Quote Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
    Whoa! Really really thank you for sharing this, Iceaxe. Important info (I like the rescue/escape options discussed by the group too). I wonder if I would have been as brave had I read this beforehand?
    +1
    Thanks for posting this. Sad story for sure, but it's nice to see all of the creative thinking in that thread on possible setups for a rescue.

Do any of you carry a SPOT satellite messenger?
    I'm not sure if it would have GPS coverage in the bottom of a deep slot, but at the very least someone could get to an open area and use the S.O.S feature to initiate a SAR call. I carry one when I'm hunting in steep, nasty terrain and I have taken it with me into canyons as well. At the very least it provides my wife piece of mind when I send her an OK check in (upon entering a canyon and then again as I'm exiting and/or returning to the vehicle). And I figure that the $200 expense of the hardware/monitoring service is a cheap insurance policy and is just one more helpful tool to carry with your other gear.