Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Must See Slots - Recommendations?

Bogley BigShot
    That post is great too.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Damn, all this speedo talk may have me picking a different hobby to pursue...
    If that's some kind of initiation routine (or perhaps hazing) there better be some DAMN good beers along for the ride.

I'd hate to bring this thread back on track given the entertainment it's provided.
    But FWIW, we're looking into Alcatraz and some of the other canyons listed.
    Anybody have some more specific input on Alcatraz and the water levels we can expect this time of year?

I'm in the process of searching the past posts here and checking out all of the various trip reports. And I've also read the great information about Alcatraz on Climb-Utah.

Alcatraz is not a great noobie canyon, particularly in winter conditions... and even more so if you have someone of any size in the group....

A report from the Roost yesterday is that there is a lot of water in the Roost (at least a lot of water for the Roost) and all the water is so dang cold you will instantly loose feeling in any part of the body not covered in neoprene.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Alcatraz is not a great noobie canyon, particularly in winter conditions... and even more so if you have someone of any size in the group....
    I have to agree with this. Although Alcatraz is certainly not one of the truly desperate ones, it's a pretty damn tough little slot. I've done it about half a dozen times and every time I do it, it seems harder than the last time. It's best to do this with people who have done a few physical slots already and are reasonably fit.

Nat

Thanks again for the helpful information/advice.
    My brother and I are pretty athletic and not very large in stature. We're both around 5' 5" - 5' 7" and 170 lbs. So I would be surprised if the climbing/slot portions (mae west or otherwise) gave us much trouble based on the information I've read thus far. But rap'ing into cold @ss water in a kph with snow still on the ground is not something I'd like to experience in my lifetime (full wetsuit or not). Hence the question about water in that particular canyon.

When we were down there a couple weekends ago the weather was actually pretty nice most of the time. But it did start snowing a little by the time we were out of High Spur and back to the trucks.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Thanks again for the helpful information/advice.
    My brother and I are pretty athletic and not very large in stature. We're both around 5' 5" - 5' 7" and 170 lbs. So I would be surprised if the climbing/slot portions (mae west or otherwise) gave us much trouble based on the information I've read thus far. But rap'ing into cold @ss water in a kph with snow still on the ground is not something I'd like to experience in my lifetime (full wetsuit or not). Hence the question about water in that particular canyon.

When we were down there a couple weekends ago the weather was actually pretty nice most of the time. But it did start snowing a little by the time we were out of High Spur and back to the trucks.
    In Alcatraz, the pool at the head of the second rappel is likely to be full (ok, maybe 50/50) and can be stretchy to get around without going into the water. I would bring a wetsuit just for that moment. Somewhat of a tricky anchor there, it can be. Possibly blown out by the winter rains and flows.

Down towards the end, there is a downclimb (or short rap from a bolt) which often goes into a pool. I would expect that pool to persist a long time, since it is in a dark portion of the canyon. I would not expect it to be more than waist deep.

Tom :moses;

I'm a noob too, Jeff. I saw a couple previous posts here recommending Knotted Rope in the Swell and can vouch for that. Tough, but do-able. It got me hooked! I went in August last year. A girl with us was pretty petite and practically froze jumping in and out of the cold water. We didn't wear neoprene - you will want to this time of year I'm sure.

Here's some shot from the slot. Some of those potholes are very deep!

Name:  DSC00917..jpg
Views: 206
Size:  140.0 KBName:  DSC00966..jpg
Views: 199
Size:  114.0 KBName:  DSC00923..jpg
Views: 203
Size:  129.6 KBName:  DSC01019..jpg
Views: 201
Size:  83.5 KBName:  DSC00915..jpg
Views: 198
Size:  132.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
    I'm a noob too, Jeff. I saw a couple previous posts here recommending Knotted Rope in the Swell and can vouch for that. Tough, but do-able. It got me hooked! I went in August last year. A girl with us was pretty petite and practically froze jumping in and out of the cold water. We didn't wear neoprene - you will want to this time of year I'm sure.

Knotted Rope is great fun when it is full of water, and a lot less fun when it is not full. While the canyon does not REQUIRE ropes, it is a good idea to bring some rope and technical gear in the event things do not go 100% smoothly - for instance, for escaping potholes if the pools are not full.

It's good to see you guys brought helmets... wearing them would be the next step in that process.

Tom (hey, that's my job).

Those Knotted Rope potholes can/are deadly when the canyon is low on water....

Death in Knotted Rope
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26661

Go prepared... The most difficult pothole is the first major one you will encounter. The good news is you can easily reverse the canyon at that point if you find the challenge beyond your skill level. Use good judgement...

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Knotted Rope is great fun when it is full of water, and a lot less fun when it is not full. While the canyon does not REQUIRE ropes, it is a good idea to bring some rope and technical gear in the event things do not go 100% smoothly - for instance, for escaping potholes if the pools are not full.

It's good to see you guys brought helmets... wearing them would be the next step in that process.

Tom (hey, that's my job).
    Thanks dad. We did wear helmets when needed and we did have all the proper rope/gear with us. Camera man has the rope.

Thanks dad. We did wear helmets when needed and we did have all the proper rope/gear with us. Camera man has the rope.
    So, dear daughter, as you slip and fall you deftly pull the helmet off your pack and flop it onto your head JUST as contact is made?

OK, a bit over the top - my duty has been fulfilled! It can be excruciatingly hot and helmets are counter indicated then. But around pools with desperate climbing moves required to pass them might be a good time to wear the helmet. Can the wonderful big floppy hat be adjusted to fit over the helmet???

Bogley BigShot
    I learned to make a sun shade under my helmet so I prevented wrinkles and saved my head at the same time. It can be done!

Just don't buy the big Pink horse rider helmet with the shade that I did. I sent it back after Alex and buddy made fun of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    So, dear daughter, as you slip and fall you deftly pull the helmet off your pack and flop it onto your head JUST as contact is made?

OK, a bit over the top - my duty has been fulfilled! It can be excruciatingly hot and helmets are counter indicated then. But around pools with desperate climbing moves required to pass them might be a good time to wear the helmet. Can the wonderful big floppy hat be adjusted to fit over the helmet???

So Tom..., if you were hiking down the Virgin River from Chamberlain ranch (the standard Zion Narrows route), would you wear your helmet? I think you are a lot more likely to get a head injury there from slipping on the "greased bowling balls" than in knotted rope.

Nat

Thanks for the info. I've looked into knotted rope a little bit and it looks like a blast (later in the summer and with water of course).
    What other canyons have you had a chance to do?

Thanks dad.
    Not cool to get lippy with the guys that SAR will be calling for beta to get you out of a canyon.

x2 on Shane's recommendations of Sulphur Creek and Moonshine.

Quote Originally Posted by nat View Post
    So Tom..., if you were hiking down the Virgin River from Chamberlain ranch (the standard Zion Narrows route), would you wear your helmet? I think you are a lot more likely to get a head injury there from slipping on the "greased bowling balls" than in knotted rope.

Nat
    Most of the time that I walk in the Narrows, I wear a helmet. Because, I have one with me, might as well wear it.

I suggest wearing helmets in technical canyons like Knotted Rope, not non-technical canyons like The Narrows.

T

Summit, those are some kick *** pictures.
    Did you do any post processing on those?

Did you do any post processing on those?

For the sulphur creek shot I used HDR in order to capture the dynamic range between the shadows and sky I shoot in RAW so post processing is pretty much necessary like a dark room is to film.

Did I add blow out the colors, add a unicorn, or extra moon? No.
    Did I use my computer (thats 10x more powerful then my camera) to adjust sharpness ,clarity, contrast ect. yes.